Japanese Motorhomes

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jezport, Feb 3, 2012.

1. jezport

jezport Funster

Why dont Japanese manufacturers target the motorhome market. We know that they make good reliable vehicles. There has to be a gap in the market for a company that makes reliable vans and gives good customer service like Mazda, Isuzu, Toyota, Misubishi etc.

We buy vans for tens of thousands of pounds that judder and break down and accept the manufacturer telling us that it is normal and acceptable yet we still buy their vans. If there was more competition from the East things would have to change!

I have contacted Isuzu and Swift. The reasons why I chose these two companies.

Isuzu because as a company it is one of their top priorities to offer unequalled customer service. If you check their website http://www.isuzutruck.co.uk/about.asp you will see the personal phone number to contact Nikki King their MD! They also sell a broad range of chassis covering all the weights that would be required to build a range of motorhomes on.

Swift, because it is one of the largest UK manufacturers of motorhomes and sells a wide range of layouts. So surely one can be adapted to fit an Isuzu.

Isuzu MD Nikki King replied to my email within 24 hours and Bob Morris from Isuzu phoned me in person for a chat on the subject.

I am not an expert on Japanese chassis but Bob Morris informed me that Winnebago have used the Isuzu chassis on their RVs but they were badged as GMC.

I am still waiting for Swift to reply

What views do members here have on motorhomes being available on Japanese chassis?

• Like Like x 5
  2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

The Japs do make motorhomes and secondhand ones have started to filter into the UK.

3. jezport

jezport Funster

I have seen them, and externally they look great but the interiors really do not suit the mainstream UK market. New Zealand seems to have a larger number of Japanese motorhomes, mainly Isuzu and Mitsubishi.

4. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

New Zealand and Australia have been the main dumping ground for used Jap motorhomes for some time. The reason behind this is that Japan, New Zealand, Australia and the UK all have right hand drive. The Japs are just spreading there wings into the UK market as they did with the 4X4s a few years ago. Have you noticed that there are no 4X4s coming in now?. Because of the UK road tax system no one wants them now. The next thing to flood the market here will be second hand top spec Jap motorhomes.

5. jezport

jezport Funster

In New Zealand Isuzu and Mitsubishi are sold as new motorhomes.

Re 4x4s and Road tax, most manufacturers large 4x4s tend to be in higher roadtax bands due to the CO figures and although I don't know a great deal about all all models I can tell you that the latest Mitsubushi Shogun 3.2 diesel falls into the tax band K £260 PA which is good for a heavy weight 197BHP on an auto transmission. Alll manufacturers selling cars in the UK are now having to tailor their emissions to fit in to our tax bands. The older Shogun was 163BHP and would be in tax band M £460 PA so I presume that one of the main reasons why the engine was changed was due to the UK tax bands system.

6. Terry

Terry Funster

I spotted one today on ebay,but it has disappeared :Doh:
    terry

7. jezport

jezport Funster

I also spotted this article on an Austrailian website:

http://www.truckworld.com.au/absolutenm/templates/isuzu.aspx?articleid=492&zoneid=12

PLEASE NOTE THIS ARTICLE IS DATED 2008
    [​IMG]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In an Australian first, Isuzu Australia Limited (IAL) is offering motorhome builders a modified cab chassis straight from the factory, reducing the time and effort required for body fitment by local manufacturers.
    Isuzu's NQR 450 Premium (motorhome spec) incorporates an engine inspection hatch instead of the traditional cab-tilt engine access used in most other truck applications.
    According to research conducted by insurer Australian Pensioner's Insurance Agency (APIA), two-thirds of Australians over 55 years of age are eager to take a trip for an extended period of time around Australia. This is a ritual, which is most commonly referred to as the trip of the 'grey nomads'.
    Comprising of mainly baby boomers, APIA's research finds that almost 50 per cent would like to spend more than four to six months on the road travelling, a statistic that is leading to a burgeoning motorhome industry.
    Available in many sizes and with varying appointment levels, the most popular motorhomes are the C Class which offer a good combination of size, appointment levels and affordability.
    Isuzu's NQR 450 Long Premium provides the cab chassis for a variety of C Class motorhomes , due to its well regarded specification and impressive level of standard features.
    Equipped with an easy-to-use Automated Manual Transmission (AMT), cruise control and multi-media infotainment system including standard satellite navigation and optional (available at extra cost)reversing cameras, the Isuzu truck is one of the most user friendly on the market.
    According to IAL Engineering & Product Support Manager, Simon Humphries, the NQR 450's advanced safety features combined with special factory modifications make it ideal for motorhome applications.
    "Instead of the usual cab-tilt, which is commonly used for engine access, the NQR 450 Long Premium has been modified to include an engine inspection hatch, providing easy access to the engine for maintenance and repair," Mr Humphries said
    "Features such as driver and passenger airbag, Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Anti Skid Regulator (ASR), electric mirrors and front and rear stabiliser bars make this truck extremely safe and easy to drive."
    In addition to the user friendliness of the truck and car-like comfort features, the Isuzu SiTEC Series II 185 engine is also one of the cleanest and most fuel efficient on the market, according to Mr Humphries.
    "The 'New Generation' Isuzu SiTEC Series II engines are rated to a minimum of EuroIV emissions standards, making them some of the cleanest conventional diesel engines available on the Australian market," he said.
    "Whilst both the USEPA 04 standard and European measures meet Australia's ADR 80/02 emissions regulations introduced earlier this year, the Isuzu engines emit as little as one sixth of the harmful exhaust particulate matter (PM) standard met by other comparable Japanese trucks.
    "Providing this specification truck directly from the Isuzu factory has certainly pleased many motorhome manufacturers, and in turn is making the building process faster and more efficient for customers."
    [/FONT]

8. mikkidee

mikkidee Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 2
  9. jezport

jezport Funster

Found another thread on here that is on a similar topic http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/motorhome-chat/45340-isuzu.html

10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi. google mitsubishi canter 4x4 campers or isuzu campers . i have been aware of them for years . now its time for the chinese vans trucks and campers . they are out there.

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

when will the Indians start importing motorhomes to our shores ?.......

Tata Motors 'A' class.

[​IMG]

this one.....no idea what it is.

[​IMG]

12. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

One suggestion- TRANSIT!:thumb:

13. jezport

jezport Funster

Transits will not take the weight that a lot of us want. Also Transits do not drive as well as other vans. I have had a number of transits and although in my opinion they are more reliable than certain other chassis they still have a very common issue of fuel injector failure. My first choice would still be a Transit if I could get one on the layout and payload I want but I cant.

14. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i take it you do know transits can go up to 4,600kg now from the factory.they have almost 2.5ton payload on the chassis cab. and with the 3.2 motor must fly.5cyl .200ps . gotta be good i would think. been looking at the new ones as the 3,500kg as a good train weight of 6,500kg . on certain models.
    do think the iveco daily beats it though .
    but mitsubishi /isuzu are coming . you only have to look at the small truck market . getting very common on our roads now.

15. jezport

jezport Funster

I know that but once again they are not available as a motorhome. I would certainly prefer one over all the current chassis available on motorhomes, But I would really like to see a C class or A class on a Japanese chassis.

16. Terry

Terry Funster

What you have to understand is it all depends on price :thumb:What converters pay and what we have to pay for a van are miles apart :BigGrin:The larger trannys are in the same price range as the Mercs :Smile:What would you buy ? a Merc or a tranny for the same money? I do not know if the tranny is a better van to do a conversion on but the perceived quality of the Merc would win my vote :thumb:
    As I said in another post the only drawback from using Iszuzu etc, is climbing over the engine to get into the rear and japs do not discount much on price.
    terry

17. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i,m sure if you want a transit then someone will make you one.
    there are some built on the mitsubishi .i think rs motor homes did them. but converters can build on whatever you want.
    when i built my unit i had never seen one built on this chassis . it seems now there are a few in the uk. mitsubushi uk know where most of them are so they tell me.
    could be a project for you to have one built.
    must say it isnt that hard to get over the lump of the engine. if you are able bodied .
    this is the beauty of an cabover makes for a shorter vehicle . the truck trade find it a god send.all good food for thought might be a new niche market for someone.
    if i was younger think it might have been me. find the jap stuff really good and now there is importers that just concentrate on new jap spares . good prices .

18. Terry

Terry Funster

The big makers whole idea is to appeal to the mass market rather than one offs :Wink:Mass market wants to stand up and walk into the back rather than crawl over an engine.Yes the idea of sitting on the engine is great :thumb: and has a lot going for it IE shorter vehicle,cutting 3/5 ft off the length of a van :thumb: but it is like you have said OK when younger :BigGrin: You may well see a few more Japs around but until they shift the engine from under your backside allowing you to sit up rather than lay down driving position I cannot see them making much way into this leisure market.:Smile: When they click onto the idea to change there vans for a conventional European type watch them take off :thumb:The only one like that at the moment I can think of is a Nissan-re badged Renault.The trouble is all the jap vans at the moment are too good at doing what they do as a van :Wink:
    terry

19. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi, definately a sit up in a canter . seats jut like a vw t2. have a sit in one .but then there is still the motor . not for you. cant see them changing the design though. even their narrownessis because of their streets etc, but all interesting . makes the world go round .

20. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Alan don't get me wrong they are just my thoughts :thumb:My mate has a Canter and I know you sit up in it but you are not as upright as a normal van.I have had a few vehicles with the engine up your bum,starting with a old Morris Ju 2 going onto a Datsun E 20 an old bull nosed merc :Doh:and a Toyota Dyna.:thumb: Brill bit of kit :BigGrin: I just wish they would make a proper euro style van.All the jap cars and vans I have had have been ultra reliable and generally go about doing what they are supposed to :BigGrin:They may not always be the fastest or most entertaining things to drive but they are far from being the slowest either :thumb: and boy when they make them both fast and entertaining they do a excellent job of that too.:thumb:
    I am not aware of any jap vans that are both wide and high which are what you basically want for a m/h conversion.:Wink:
    terry