LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
need to realise we can never get back to what this country was when I was young .
I don't think politically it was any better. There was terrible poverty at the primary school I went to and even as a small child I could see it. But we didn't have the same access to information about what was going on in the world so we lived in ignorance of what our political leaders were up to.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I don't think politically it was any better. There was terrible poverty at the primary school I went to and even as a small child I could see it. But we didn't have the same access to information about what was going on in the world so we lived in ignorance of what our political leaders were up to.

Yes.. that's what she says .. I know our town was better off then .. and I can physically see it degenerating back in parts to when I was very little as unemployment grows.

I always feel so very guilty about one very thin and scrawny little girl in my class when I was about 7. I can remember name to this day. Her clothes were ragged and way too big for her little body .. Her hair was matted. .. and she was so thin. She never joined in with us at playtime and I never knew how to approach her. She looked so sad. One day she disappeared .. we were never told why and I am welling up now thinking about her. I wish I had had the courage to talk to her, to be her friend, to ask her to play with us ...

One of my first regrets in life when I think back over the years. :(

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
I wish I had had the courage to talk to her, to be her friend, to ask her to play with us ...
I know. I have the same with a girl who I still remember who was very frail and died of leukemia.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
It is funny ... and very poetic in parts. :)

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I haven't read the book I will read it asap but the film was really funny I would say hilarious if I could spell it. Enjoy it

Jul 26, 2015
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Hoping to buy 2016
Exp
None whatsoever
I too had read this book in school but enjoyed it more this time around,perhaps because I wasn't being forced to read it!Even though I enjoyed reading it,I did find it depressing as really nothing ever changes,the people in power will always manipulate society to their own benefit...."all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others"

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Just finished Animal Farm - I was determined to listen to it as an audio-book, preferably in one hit, so I needed a 3-hour slot - got it this afternoon/ evening while I was making soups!!!
If I hadn't been doing something productive I'd have ended up soooo depressed. It's difficult to know what this story best relates to: politics, religion, society.
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

Will it never be possible for people to live harmoniously? I suspect not; those who try to make it happen will, I believe, always be at the mercy of those who bully, because they won't fight dirty.

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Was this your first experience of an audio book @CWH ? How would you rate it versus reading? I've never tried one but I must admit it appeals as I have really loved listening to stories on the radio when I've caught them now and again.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Was this your first experience of an audio book @CWH ? How would you rate it versus reading? I've never tried one but I must admit it appeals as I have really loved listening to stories on the radio when I've caught them now and again.
Yes it's the first time I've "read" an audiobook, but like you I've enjoyed listening to 'book of the week' & other stuff on radio 4 so I thought I'd like it. I did; it made a change from singing to myself while I was working which has to be an improvement. I tend to read very slowly - the same speed as I talk - and I often have to go back and re-read bits to get more meaning out of it, and I only read when I go to bed - so actually this was much quicker for me - just 3 hours, whereas if I'd been reading text it could have been a whole week.
So yes, I did enjoy this as an audio-book - Timothy West was brilliant - and I'll certainly try more of them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back