Jan 26, 2016
merseyside
Funster No
MH
avantegarde
Exp
2 yrs
Hello all you lovely peeps...

Could you tell me if the jack pack that came with our MH is ok to jack it up with. May sound like a daft question, but it is a Peugeot boxer chassis.....it is an avante garde .....2003.
Its just that it looks so unlike the industrial type jacks, it doesn't look strong enough to take the weight...

thanks...

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Does the jack have a safe weight rating stamped on it anywhere? I always think the scissor jacks look a bit flimsey so use a heavy duty trolley jack at home to be on the safe side, backed up with an axle stand.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
they work fine on the front wheels if on flat solid ground, but as useful as a chocolate teapot on the rears of a coachbuilt motorhome

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Strong enough for the unloaded chassis but I wouldnt trust a scissor jack lifting 3500kg plus.

is it safe.....not by a long way.

Invest in a 10 ton bottle jack and a pair of axle stands or a proper trolley jack for home use.
Never use a javk without stands, even new hydraulic jacks can fail.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

I try my best

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
merseyside
Funster No
MH
avantegarde
Exp
2 yrs
OMG.....this is all new to me....thanks so much for quick responses....I wonder, will leaving it on its flat tire do any damage...I know someone who works in a garage but he cant come over for a couple of days...so its just sitting outside looking like a pancake!

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
OMG.....this is all new to me....thanks so much for quick responses....I wonder, will leaving it on its flat tire do any damage...I know someone who works in a garage but he cant come over for a couple of days...so its just sitting outside looking like a pancake!
never leave a flat tyre under heavy load, as it damages the tyre wall

try googling for a local mobile tyre fitter or if in RAC etc get them to put spare on

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I've used the standard Fiat jack on my Hymer B584 with no problems both front and back.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As a last ditch solution use your existing jack to take some weight off the tyre but dont risk removing the wheel.
You only need lift it a few inches so the rim isnt resting on the rubber

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Rather then leaving it on a flat tyre I'd be tempted to try the scissor jack and get some blocks under . . . . PJ beat me to it! (y)

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I suggest you then invest in a decent bottle jack with sufficient capacity to hold the loaded rear axle.

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
As I have the Scissor type as well, could someone recommend a quality bottle jack. Can I assume :cautious: that I will only need one that will lift a single wheel on the heaviest axle i.e. 1000kg - rear axle limit is 2000kg

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
As I have the Scissor type as well, could someone recommend a quality bottle jack. Can I assume :cautious: that I will only need one that will lift a single wheel on the heaviest axle i.e. 1000kg - rear axle limit is 2000kg

My preference is 5tonne (light enough to carry in van) although others might prefer the 8tonne version. As previously mentioned, axle stands are also a good idea (y)
Dodgy Link Removed

Upvote 0

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
My preference is 5tonne (light enough to carry in van) although others might prefer the 8tonne version. As previously mentioned, axle stands are also a good idea (y)
Dodgy Link Removed
We bought the screwfix 5 tonne this year as well as an extending H D lever/ wrench (mental block) as the one the came with the scissor jack is bent!

Another thing to carry which I hope we never use...

Upvote 0

John R. Edwards

Free Member
Jan 28, 2016
Walsall
Funster No
MH
Bailey 540
Exp
Completely new to motorhoming so forgive my lack of knowledge but can you use jacks for levelling i.e. just to level the van not remove the wheels? That would seem so much easier than trying to level using ramps

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
Considerably less effort to use the ramps and a spirit level and I would say a definite no to use a jack for levelling purposes. Also the wheel nuts possibly need a quality extension bar to remove them and the wheel is a significant weight so not to be tackled unless you really have to !!

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Some premium motorhomes have electric levelling jacks fitted - and some motorhomers have them fitted after buying. But they are an expensive option; perhaps the most often referred to are made by Goldschmitt and are fitted to large Concordes and the like.
In the absence of such an exotic system, I would stick to ramps and not try levelling with a jack. For example, if you 'wild-camp' or use camperstops (aires in France) and decide you need to leave in a hurry, the last thing your want to do is have to get under and remove a jack first!

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Completely new to motorhoming so forgive my lack of knowledge but can you use jacks for levelling i.e. just to level the van not remove the wheels? That would seem so much easier than trying to level using ramps
Don't bother with either, manoeuvre till it's something like, see if the wine glass stays on the table, if it does(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back