Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just got back from a couple of days at CC Cherry Hinton from where we visited IWM Duxford. Now I know war museums may not be everyones cup of tea, but if you have an interest in military & civil aircraft its worth a visit. Exibits include Concord 101, which you can board,plus war planes Lancaster, Lokhead Blackbird, U2 spyplane and the massuve B52 and loads more , good day out.:thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Have to agree totally, have been a couple of times now.

We went while away and had our dogs in the van, they have an area you can park if you have animals that is in the shade of a large hanger, and is also where empty coaches park to keep cool, if you are looking for it, very handy.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I agree that its a very good day out especially if you can go up. I was fortunate enough to have been given a trip in one of their de Havilland Dragon Rapide over to Ely and back. Very noisy on board as you might imagine with those Gypsy Queen engines either side but a brilliant flight. ::bigsmile: Real flying.

There are also flight experience flights available in a Tiger Moth.

There's loads of things you can touch and go on board, but a large number of exhibits are by virtue of their rarity that are off limits.

Good cups of tea in the cafe's as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just got back from a couple of days at CC Cherry Hinton from where we visited IWM Duxford.

BTDTGTTS

Good campsite and brilliant museum. They've put up some new building since we were there in 08. What's in there ?

But the sight for me, the most awesome plane ever........

Attachments

• bbird.jpg
    bbird.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 32

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
well worth a trip by the looks of it. could be an excuse for me next outing if the weather holds.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
well worth a trip by the looks of it. could be an excuse for me next outing if the weather holds.

It certainly is, it's got the lot from bayonet to Blackbird. Not just aircraft.

Another GEM. On a very different scale, the Aircraft Museum at Carlyle Airport. Now where can you go sit in a Vulcan. Carlyle obviously. Good section on the UK missile program. Did you know the European launcher effort started on bought in UK first stage rockets. The first stage always worked, not so the other two Johnny Foreigner stages.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• v1.jpg
    v1.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 8
  • v2.jpg
    v2.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 6
  • v3.jpg
    v3.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 5
  • v4.jpg
    v4.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 8
  • v5.jpg
    v5.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 7
Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Just got back from a couple of days at CC Cherry Hinton from where we visited IWM Duxford. Now I know war museums may not be everyones cup of tea, but if you have an interest in military & civil aircraft its worth a visit. Exibits include Concord 101, which you can board,plus war planes Lancaster, Lokhead Blackbird, U2 spyplane and the massuve B52 and loads more , good day out.:thumb:

=======
Will give that a visit in the coming months . Tried a few times over the summer months to get Cherry Hinton booking , one reason being the IWM. But it along with all the surrounding sites CLs etc , were always fully booked when we tried . Maybe the quiet months will be better.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back