Iveco Daily minibus ?

Discussion in 'Self-Build Motorhomes' started by scotjimland, Apr 10, 2013.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

2. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Nice bus and not tainted with Fiats 'engineering' more Ford components.
    As it belonged to a charity the clutch and gearbox may need some attention due to it being driven by various drivers. I am not implying that it will need attention,it depends on the status of the charity. If it is 100% voluntary and provides the service gratis then there may be a variety of driving styles employed if the drivers were employed they would have to be MIDAS qualified which does generally set a standard.
    I believe Dave Newell's self-build is on an Iveco.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

Hi Jim, when i worked for the council before i retired we had several iveco vans with the tail lift fitted,i found them a nice drive and at that age i think it will be ford powerd.I must say at that mileage [if correct] it should be a good buy not that i am an expert as all the work was carried out for us.I hope this is of some use to you.
    John.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JJ

JJ Funster

My 1996 Iveco Daily is the best van I have ever had.

I got it in 2000 (75000 kms) and is now nearing or is over 200,000.

Never failed a test... goes pretty swiftly if you want (intercooled) and a real, rufty tufty vehicle.

Iveco dealers all over Europe...

Highly recommended.

JJ:Cool:

• Like Like x 2
  5. scotjimland

Since posting have spoken to the previous owners.. The Charity was Southend Taxi Driver fund, who take disabled children on trips..

It was bought new by them and they confirm the millage, that it was regularly serviced and had no obvious mechanical problems when they sold it to the dealer.. driven by only a few volunteer taxi drivers..

main reason for selling was non compliance with London LEZ ..

6. flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken Funster Life Member

Hi Jim, Sounds a good motor, well looked after mechanicly and driver wise, don't think you will get any better than this one for you self build, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

• Like Like x 1
  7. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Hi Jim, that is almost identical to mine except mine is XLWB and has a side loading door. You might find the SLD useful or not depending on your planned layout. Mechanically its a small truck and drives like one. The 2.8 turbo lump is adequate, mine has no intercooler so just 100BHP but that is adequate to propel the bus and a 1200KGs trailer at 56MPH only lacking a bit on steepish hills. Mine has 175,000KM under its wheels and still drives well with just a bit of blue smoke on first startup.

D.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Looks a good buy at my end Jim. The Iveco is a good strong van and that one would make a great self build. I have run a couple of the Iveco vans when I was working and they were always a good workhorse, covering huge mileages. Make sure the cambelt service is kept up to date as if it does go it destroys the engine. I have seen a good set of mini bus seats go for £100 each, so you could well have close on a grand back on the seats.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil Read Only Funster

Hi Jim

Our motorhome is based on an Iveco Daily and it hasnt missed a beat, fingers crossed. It is a bit agricultural, but we never driven a Fiat so can compare.

Ours has more power than the one youre looking at it a 2.8 turbo, I think its bhp is 150, but that was after a torgue chip fitted.

Be careful of rust although ours has none, you used to see some a bit rusty around the back doors, but that might have been a lot older version.

Our motorhome is coming up for sale shortly, but I think it will be too expensive for your needs.

A self build will be a great thing to do if you have the time and money, although you can do it on a low budget too. Do you really what that many windows in the vehicle, its a shame to block them up but it will cold also too.
    Good luck
    Pat

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  10. scotjimland

Hi Dave , does that engine not have a chain ?

edit.. just googled, looks like it has a belt..

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  11. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Looks like a good bus and it looks like it has a tail lift as well so money back on that if you don't need it:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil Read Only Funster

Jim
    ours is a cambelt

Pat

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Purely from a conversion point of view there are two things to check before you buy. I made these mistakes on my Bus conversion...

1. Can you cope with all the windows? These let in a load of light/heat in the summer making it extremely hot. They also let the cold in in the winter making it extremely cold. You either need to be ok with this or add to your budget to replace the windows with metal panels or similar.

2. Height. Look to where you will add your shower area. Allow for six inches loss on the floor area if you are doing internal waste pipes. and allow for roof insulation. I lost 2" on roof height for insulation.

3. Check the floor. On mine the floor was split level with the upper level being at the back and u shaped. The lower level sloped.
    This seriously affects the build.

Mine however was a full bus not a mini bus so you may be ok with yours. I do like Iveco vans and it is on my list for my next self build.

• Like Like x 1
  14. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Don't get too excited by the tail lift, ours had one but I couldn't give the damned thing away! Broke it up for the parts in the end. I also had trouble getting shot of the seats despite them being in good condition with built in seat belts, I still have five of them.

D.

• Like Like x 1
  15. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

I cannot comment on weather bus or van is the right thing to convert as it is a personal choice.

As for the type - go for it! They were the last of the reliable Ivecos, some suffered oil leaks so check for that and also rust. But apart from that - Ideal!

As for shifting seats - give me a buzz and I can probably move them for you. I have a lot to do with taxis, and they often fit bus/coach seats in the back when they convert the layouts from people carriers to taxi - (owners not the converters).

Friend of mine is converting the van version - quite an interesting adventure as he actually cut the back end off and lengthened it by around 10" He sunk holes in the back end to drop gas bottles into, and conserving room - looks very good!

• Like Like x 1
  16. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Hi Jim
    Gromett is going to self build on an Iveco-perhaps you should swap ideas!

17. duane0001

duane0001 Read Only Funster

Ha ha ha, Have you not seen what is wrote on the cam cover on a Ducato :Rofl1:

18. Gromett

Gromett Funster

It won't be for quite a few years possible as soon as 3 maybe as many as 5.

My needs are different to his also. I will probably go for a similar layout to what JJ has in his Iveco and possibly a similar standard of construction this time:Rofl1:

19. welshcowboy

welshcowboy Read Only Funster

hi ive got a v reg iveco daily 35-10 camper if you ever want any advise etc feel free to contact me welshcowboy@ymail.com

20. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

You sure you can work to that high standard :Eeek: