Jan 11, 2011
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Consort Reef 2
Exp
since 1990
hi.
After finding a large and very deep crack in the side wall of a tyre on our 3 year old van near the top of Norway i would not be without my spare wheel

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Just where do you put a spare wheel? 31kg's of dead weight that may never be used and if it is required only a small % of people will do it them self. A job for AA man or whoever, mine is located right at the back so the effect on the rear axle load is high. Do they fit them elsewhere? Inside or out?

Edited as I put 40kg after weighing it is in fact, 31Kg.

Steve.

Steve,
mine is fitted underneath MoHo on a hinged crossmember, just behind the rear axle. I regularly check it for cracks and security, have also made sure the unhooking knob/thread/hinge is well copper greased and it's quite easy to dismount the spare. However, in the piddling down and on a hard shoulder it would take a brave guy to get underneath to unscrew the knob and lower to the ground - let alone change it, so RAC every time (as he grabs for wood).

I suppose the imposed load is to the rear axle, but anywhere forward of the location has tanks, steps, axle, LSV, then a hot exhaust - best of a bad situation I suppose.

Regards,

Trikeman. ;)

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I have had 2 punctures in recent years on motorhomes. Both were at home in my drive! In both cases I put on the spare and took the punctured tyre for repair.

Personally I would not be without a spare . Yes as others have said I could not necessarily change wheels on my own but the AA man could! Cans of goo do not work with a lot of punctures and the tyre cannot be repaired once goo has been used in it. So even if the goo does work it is a very temporary repair before the tyre is changed. And many camper tyres are not readily available - so no spare in a remote location can be a serious problem. If you have a spare a puncture is an inconvenience. With no spare it is a major issue!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi I had a bracket made to fit on the towbar (if you have towbar could email you photos) ,225x75x16 weighs about 25kg,we may tow a car at some time but will put spare in boot on car.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Calling the recovery people should be your last thought not your first as they are very thin on the ground at weekends and the frequent public holidays and your, and certainly mine, lack of foreign language skills to summon the recovery may also delay their response.

It is rare that you will see a Spaniard change a wheel. They are straight on the phone to the insurance company for the recovery to come & change it. Even though it might take a couple of hours ! I have even passed one who has just had a tyre go / on the way back some hours later they are just changing it !! Never can understand it as they have to learn it as part of the driving test.

looks like abit of tyre belt separation
I thought he'd stuffed it with grass !:D

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
I keep the spare on board, mainly because it sits in the engine bay, and isn't a liability, however, don't bother with a jack, let the breakdown man supply that one!. In reality, would anyone really consider changing an offside puncture on the hard shoulder of the M6?? :Eeek:

Likewise, on both the Citroen (hymer) and fiat, both spares are under bonnet............

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
This is the result at 60 mph front left on the M62 pulled me from the fast lane to the hard shoulder in a split second:eek:

Just lucky I didn't hit anything and even luckier it wasn't the front right
As I'd guess it would have flipped me over the barrier :(View attachment 58505

The sidewalls are perished and cracked. It was just waiting to happen.

I binned our Pirellis at 3 1/2 years due to sidewall cracking.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Don't like any old jack the lad tyre fitter touching my gal, have practiced several wheel changes, ok it was dry and not on the side of the M6, got two warning triangles for a wee bit of warning for dozy truckies disappearing up my jacksy ! etc. but it isn't rocket science, an old blanket and a two wheel chocks that I made from a square post cut across the diagonal. Lay blanket then use a chock at the far side of the wheel so when I wind it down the blighter tilts towards me so I can get the cable block out of the centre. Pull the blanket and she slides out from under the van. Use the chocks so van doesn't move. Lift her up after loosening the wheel nuts. You know the rest. (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Grrrr ... what are your thoughts on carrying a spare windscreen! :eek: We had to have ours replaced last year as on our way back home after a long holiday a stone was thrown up and cracked it ... couldn't be fixed as it spread within a few miles and by the time we got home was very long ... Ā£100 excess on the insurance ... great! :cautious:

Now, travelling along the motorway in readiness for our return to the UK on Wednesday some numpty drove past breaking the speed limit (of course!) and kicked a stone up adn we've now got a nice 'nick' in the front centre of our less than a year old windscreen! We're hoping it can be 'filled' as it is shallow and hasn't spread otherwise that'll be another Ā£100 excess!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
looks like abit of tyre belt separation

Yep Bill it well and truly separated......:Eeek:
after I ran over that bit of bolt you can see .couldn't swap lanes to avoid it and no hard shoulder .said oh golly gosh as you do ..
First one in a camper hopefully the last ::bigsmile:

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I always change my tyres once they reach 5 years of age ,ive had two blow out on my caravan and it was down to them being 6 years old , don't go by the depth of tread , once they go past 4 years start thinking about changing them.
As for windscreens, as long as its a small star shapped chip, they can be repaired , ive done a few of them myself , the hardest part is drilling the winscreen and then you have to pressure test it

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
The sidewalls are perished and cracked. It was just waiting to happen.

I binned our Pirellis at 3 1/2 years due to sidewall cracking.

That tyre was maybe 2 years old & probably 20 000 miles
Are they prone to crack etc that quick?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I always change my tyres once they reach 5 years of age ,ive had two blow out on my caravan and it was down to them being 6 years old , don't go by the depth of tread , once they go past 4 years start thinking about changing them.
Save the old ones you take off and put them on top of the van in case the new ones fail , you can have plenty of spares , just need a good set of tyre levers and a pump.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Caravans suffer far more from sidewall degradation as they are often left standing for long periods. If you don't use your Motorhome over the winter I would agree with 5 years but if the van is in regular use throughout the year the rubber stays more supple and providing the tyres are inspected regularly they are usually OK up to 7 years.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As for windscreens, as long as its a small star shapped chip, they can be repaired , ive done a few of them myself , the hardest part is drilling the winscreen and then you have to pressure test it
The chap from Autoglass came this morning and has managed to fix the chip thank goodness so no Ā£100 excess for a new screen as we had last year, and no excess for filling either - our insurer is Safeguard.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
If I was going abroad and my payload was limited, I would carry just the tyre, not the rim because, when the breakdown man arrives on a cold and wet night, he/she does not have to try and locate the correct size and make of tyre before they can fix it! :unsure:

Soots

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2022
Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20 Impressa
Exp
Since 2020
We have! On a motorway in Spain near Jerez when it was peeing down with rain. Fortunately our driver (Gwen) managed to bring us safely to a halt on the hard shoulder.
I wouldn't go anywhere without a proper spare because it Would take more than a can of goo to fix it when this happens:
View attachment 58518
It's fine, just a bit of gaffer tape and straw. šŸ¤£

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If I was going abroad and my payload was limited, I would carry just the tyre, not the rim because, when the breakdown man arrives on a cold and wet night, he/she does not have to try and locate the correct size and make of tyre before they can fix it! :unsure:
A complete wheel they might change here, a tyre only you'd be recovered to a tyre dealer & have to wait if closed.

Jun 17, 2019
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
One a newbie
Curbed the van January this year, limped to local BP garage then changed tyre it was rather cold at 5:30 in the morning.
Most annoying as the tyre was only two months old. Would always carry a spare.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Slow puncture in Germany out in the sticks and at the weekend so no garages around. Decided to put the spare on. A week later now in Italy and the spare is still on. Can't be bothered with trying to converse with Italian tyre fitters. What's the chance of 2 punctures on a trip? Also if I did get anothrr I could always put the slow puncture one back on and pump it up šŸ˜ƒ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back