I've just had the weekend from hell and I blame myself (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Thank you everybody for all your kind words. I was going to leave buying the campervan until after Kimberley but I thought she'd enjoy going out in it.... but as you say too late to do anything about it now.
My friends and neighbours are all saying replace her with another dog, but I think I'll start planning some trips to places where taking a dog is a bit complicated, before I think about getting another one. That'll keep me busy too.
Strange not having her follow me round the flat all the time or greeting me at the door, and I found myself leaving some of my dinner for her too - she was a greedy little oink!! No dog could have had a better life once she came to mum at age 4 and then onto me, that's for sure. She came all around France and Italy with me twice and loved every minute.
White Acres etc 003.JPG

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Thank you everybody for all your kind words. I was going to leave buying the campervan until after Kimberley but I thought she'd enjoy going out in it.... but as you say too late to do anything about it now.
My friends and neighbours are all saying replace her with another dog, but I think I'll start planning some trips to places where taking a dog is a bit complicated, before I think about getting another one. That'll keep me busy too.
Strange not having her follow me round the flat all the time or greeting me at the door, and I found myself leaving some of my dinner for her too - she was a greedy little oink!! No dog could have had a better life once she came to mum at age 4 and then onto me, that's for sure. She came all around France and Italy with me twice and loved every minute.View attachment 113697

She was beautiful and looks very relaxed there. Dont rush to replace her you will know when your ready, I couldnt stand the quiet house when I lost mine but I waited three months.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Sorry to hear this but I'm sure the @TheBig1 has a valid point, our last Jack Russel was 18 when we left him with my Dad while we went on holiday. He was a very fit and active dog right up to the age of 16 but deteriated quickly over a year and couldn't really walk to far. My Dad took him fishing one day and left him in the boot of his estate car with the boot open while he fished just 10 Yards away. After about an hour he spotted Titch swimming which he loved to do, my dad got a bit concerned saw got the boat and rowed put him but he kept swimming away then just stopped before my dad got there.
He dragged him out and tried mouth to mouth before rushing him to the vet. That was 10 years ago and he still apologies for it and although he walks our current dog 3 times a week he won't take him near water.

I'm sure your mum will be proud of you for giving Kimberley a great life.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
So sad and a dreadful shock for you. The photo is lovely and just shows what a well-loved and well-cared for dog Kimberley was. It was Kimberley's choice to do what she did and she may have wanted to go out on a high rather than suffer in old age as some dogs do. One thing is for sure; both she and your Mum would not want you to be blaming yourself, although it will take time for you to grieve. Don't rush into getting another dog. You will know when the time is right.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
A sad tale indeed but Kimberly was lucky to have met your mother and yourself.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
So very sorry to read this,as others have said,a moment you could never have expected or the consequences thereof.
I remember when I had my chocolate lab,he loved to come with me in the truck.Trucks in those days were very high so although a big dog I had to lift him in.
One day I was at the top of Portland collecting a massive piece of stone to take to London for a sculpture.I let him out for a run and he decided he liked it there so much he didn't want to get back in.
I scooped him up put him on his seat and shut the door,not noticing the last couple of inches of his tail had not followed him in!!!
His yelp was awful.I went round and comforted him,furious with myself,looking as he sat shivering on the seat.He had a kink in his tail till he passed a reminder of what happened that day.
He still always loved me and never left my side,as much as I loved him.
Please don't dwell on what happened.mistakes do happen as I have just described.you didn't make a mistake it was just something you didn't expect.Mum would certainly never have blamed you.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sorry to hear about Kimberley. You clearly adored her and gave her a good life. Mistakes and accidents happen so dont beat yourself up about it.
Theres nothing really to add thats not been said already.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
I lost my little dog 3 years ago . Her name was Skip. She adored the motor home and travelling that we were able to do. Her place (God bless her) was always where she wanted to be! She just loved it! She would always run out to the truck and pick her spot. She was in and ready. What ever the weather!
When she left us it broke my heart! Her picture is always on my cabinet above my seat. She will never get left behind at all.
Cherish what you have had and what you were able to do with your little one. Remember...memories are forever.
Always!

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
So many heart felt replies. And No. You must not blame yourself. When something like this happens we seem to look for something to put the blame onto ourselves, wondering what we could have done better. But who can say? Perhaps she had a seizure or stroke just standing in the doorway before she fell.
Its so sad that we have to loose our beloved pets - they give us so much joy, but just try to dwell on that and the happy times you had - she looks a lovely girl, and looks as though she had a lovely life with you and your Mum.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Yes she was certainly a happy little camper as this photo shows, in fact I've never come across a happier and more optimistic little dog, which was remarkable considering her first 4 years of life were not very good to her. Do you know I was the only man she would ever let near her right up until the end?
P1010241.JPG
?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Lovely photo thank you for sharing . You have wonderful memories of your times together and you and your mum gave her a wonderful life.

Ricardoe

Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer544
Exp
Just started
Sorry about your dog ..its called payback time,the price you have to pay eventually for all the fantastic times they give you.Its a sad time in your life but dont grieve too long,think about rescuing some little neglected dog who's really going to land on his/her feet with you..all the best

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Roadster55.
We lost our golden Lab (pictured left) last year and it can still bring a tear to my jaded old eye !!
But, you gave a good life to a great little dog.
You can mourn the passing, or rejoice in the sharing you BOTH enjoyed.
Hope you feel better soon mate.
Remember the GOOD times.
Mitch.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@roadster55 I am currently entrusted with looking after my late Mums "Baby" a parson jack Russel called "Charlie".
When Charlie does go to doggy heaven im 100% sure my mum will be looking down on me and thanking me for keeping charlie happy and im sure that your mum would be the same for you looking after Kimberley and making her happy.

R.I.P Kimberley

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Thank you again to everybody - too many to click "thanks".

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Our pets are like our children. We guard them with our lives we watch and look after them. But we cannot control thier every move. Sadly things happen and while it's easy to blame ourselves it's really beyond our control. You wee dog jumped or fell and the result is tragic but to blame yourself is not only unfair but it won't help you or your family get over the results.

You have to try and dig deep and move on. Self recrimination is not just and is not going to help.

Sorry for your loss !!

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
So sorry for your loss. I suspect it's double grief as she was a living link with your Mum, but maybe, just maybe it was your Mum calling her to come. They are now together over the Rainbow bridge. Don't blame yourself. You opened the door and she chose to fly. Big hugs.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm struggling a bit at the moment, I think losing Kimberley so soon after mum is starting to take its toll of me. I've spent most of the weekend just looking through dog rescue sites on the web to try and find another buddy, but I don't think any other breed is going to be the same somehow...
I've never owned a dog like her TBH. She wasn't interested in anyone else just me - she wouldn't let anybody else even touch her, how often do you come across that in a dog? It's a week today from the accident, and it'll be a week tomorrow since she passed away. How long does this horrible feeling go on for?

P1000304.JPG

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
So sorry you are feeling down today . It will take a bit of time to heal the pain and loneliness . You have a lovely selfie of the two of you which is a lovely memory.
Can you go to a dog centre and walk some dogs they often need TLC and a walk by someone who cares . This way you can see lots of variety of breeds and you might find it doesn't matter where they came from but that they just need a loving home .
All this can be done over time and you've got your French trip to look forward to.
Take care.(y)

Last edited:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Go out and rescue another dog from a pound and choose the one that chooses you, regardless of what they are like.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hello Roadster55
So sorry that you are still feeling so down. Do continue to post so that we know how you are getting on.
Some good advice from Anthea and Gwaygway. One of my friends is a vet nurse living in Liskeard. She recommends Margaret Green Animal Rescue, just over the border in Tavistock. Why not pay a visit just to discuss with them how you are feeling about a possible new companion. I am sure they have experience of helping people in your situation. They will also be experienced in "match making"

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
another recommendation for the margaret green animal rescue. I have personally worked with them in the past and have nothing but praise for their work

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I am so sorry you are going through this. But somebody once told me the best compliment you can pay a pet is by getting another one. It shows that you loved having your pet so much you want to do it again. :)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Sorry how you feel... it doesn't go away but gets easier.

My advice is different to all others ... don't rush out for another companion. You are hoping at this stage to replace the little un ... you can't.. your next one will be a totally new personality. Give yourself time to take on a new hobby ... buy a cheap camera, read books on anything you find of interest .. you will know when the time is right if ever it is.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
I do agree that getting another dog sounds as if it will be the right thing for you. BUT take time to make sure it is the right dog.

As has been said, it won't be a direct replacement for your beautiful dog so don't expect that. We rescued a dog a few months ago and, lovely as he is, he has a few issues that weren't obvious and is much harder work than we imagined. Be prepared for that.

How long does the sadness go on? I still cry occasionally when I think of my 2 dogs who died 7 years ago, both of them aged 19! But having another companion will engage you and stop you sinking into the grief.

We both wish you all the best. Keep us posted.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Morning ! Hope you are feeling a little better this morning! Can you get out in your van for the day?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back