I've just bought the Caravan Club... (1 Viewer)

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Why else would I have a receipt for £29 for one night on a sloping site running down to a cliff. It does seem slightly excessive:Sad:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It is

And it was before the recession too

I seem to receive endless requests for feedback and survey filling in but I just delete them now as they clearly take no notice.

They'll stretch the elastic until it snaps before they learn

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
They charge what the market will stand :Eeek:

to rich for my blood its family room money at premier inns

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Blimey that sounds blooming expensive I paid £18 for a 39' RV whith a trailer and car EHU on a wonderfull site Wells Holiday park and after talking with the owner Jason he will offer Fun and RVOC members a discount off that........only downside if you have kids it is an adult only site.......which I prefer being an old fart :ROFLMAO:

All the best Rick.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Why else would I have a receipt for £29 for one night on a sloping site running down to a cliff. It does seem slightly excessive:Sad:

HANG ON !!!!!!!!!

I thought you were a rough and ready sort of a guy ?? Wildcamping, eating snails, back to nature sort of stuff..

CARAVAN CLUB CAMPSITE INDEED... :Doh:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Under normal circumstances I wouldn't have paid it

But after a drive from hell through lanes being directed by a satnav which must have been designed for cyclists, not 7 feet wide motorhomes, I just wanted to stop. If the heating was working we would have stayed on the car park at Tintagel which has marked motorhome bays at £3 per night. As my wife is not the hardiest of souls we ended up on the Caravan Club site.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
£29 was, presumably, non-member rate. Somewhat cheaper if one is a member.

These days we normally use CLs/CSs or C&CC THSs but are shortly going to use a CC site as it happens to offer the best value/convenience for the time & place.

As with anything else, we can choose who to buy from and, just as importantly, who to reject. As pointed out in a previous post, the CC charges what they judge to be the market rate for the facilities offered. If they get it wrong they won't get bookings - but they do currently so it seems they have it right.

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
On my first visit I was not impressed.

I couldn't fault the facilities, but they were not better than other sites where I've paid a lot less. I was not amused this morning after waiting for the rain to subside and walk for ten minutes to reach the only toilet and shower block, to be informed in a not very polite manner by a cleaner that the showers were closed for cleaning from 10.30 to 12.00. She said I should have read the sign on the door, which I hadn't seen because it had started raining again and my glasses were wet. I also felt that having paid rip off prices they could have at least made sure that everything I had paid for was available.

As for being able to choose, I agree, but in this case I had driven across Cornwall on the recommendation of someone on another site, so it was too late to find somewhere else last night.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
They always close the bogs after you've emptied your toilet and ready to leave. No one arriving after 12 is immediately going to want the toilets are they.
Stuck in their poorly thought out ways :Doh:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
She said I should have read the sign on the door, which I hadn't seen because it had started raining again and my glasses were wet. .

Oh dear! As someone else said we all thought you were the type to eat beetles n stuff like a native.

Truth is your glasses steam up. Not cool:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
This time I was with my wife.

I haven't had a minute all week and have had to use sites because my wife's idea of warm and mine are entirely different. When I manage to escape by myself I'll be eating a lot of wild food.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
LOL !! Sorry.. should not laugh but during my run in and subsequent blackballing from the CC , they assured me they NEVER send out spam mail..

I triad all sorts to get it stopped and eventually they told me I was no longer welcome as a meber due to my multiple complaints of a vociferous nature about non existent emails I was accusing them of sending

CC are NOT my favourite people for so many many reasons

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I have been a member of both clubs since 1981 the benefit to me is the sites guides.
Both the CC and C&CC clubs sites are taking the p*** with their fees,more so the 'keep the aspidistra flying' attitude. They have called the wardens 'holiday managers' but their rules makes them still 'warders'. Why do they have to close the bathrooms in the morning when everyone is getting ready to go out? Do it in the afternoon when people are out.
Apart from treating motorhomers as second class campers,but according to local planning laws, especially in National Parks, Motorhomes are more welcome than caravans.
My recent mistake was meeting some friends on a club site because my friends partner wanted to shower each morning,or so they thought, so crowded that they were rushed by the cleaning staff when they did get in!
I have never met one of the 'Grandees' of either club when on a site,do they camp?
I prefer CL/CSs especially as they clean the washrooms at more convenient times especially on farm sites.
The ratio of campers to washrooms is better on CLs etc.
The experience on these small sites is pleasant and interesting,some provide homemade produce even home baking. One we have used provides a tray of home made cakes and a pot of tea when you arrive. Some small site owners become like friends and family.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I would think that the loos are closed for cleaning (by the wardens) late morning as the wardens will be busy processing new arrivals in the afternoon.

I'd rather time my shower just right, than wait for half an hour to check in.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Every time we have been to a CC site we have been given a leaflet which (amongst other items) details the times the shower blocks will be closed. Notices are also posted on the blocks themselves. It isn't as if the closures are sprung upon anyone.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Every time we have been to a CC site we have been given a leaflet which (amongst other items) details the times the shower blocks will be closed. Notices are also posted on the blocks themselves. It isn't as if the closures are sprung upon anyone.

I think the argument is that the time is bad timing. In fact the problem is they close it COMPLETELY is that really necessary? perhaps at least leave one trap open lol

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
I don't think that £29 is overkill? It's a club, so you pay if you don't pay if you know what I mean?

Members pay for the priviledge of being able to use a club site for a good saving. Ok the booking nonsense is something that needs looking at, but paying over the odds to use a site that members enjoy a saving seems about right.

If the site was a similar cost to a non-member as an Independant then there would be little reason to become a member?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think the argument is that the time is bad timing. In fact the problem is they close it COMPLETELY is that really necessary? perhaps at least leave one trap open lol

Is it bad timing though? Opinions will differ won't they? Personally a closure between 10:30 and noon is far more convenient to me than an earlier or later one.

It isn't as if we don't have our own facilities for use in emergency is it? ::bigsmile:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes but many have just emptied the bog and are going home to put van in storage for a fortnight or more :roflmto:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
CC&C...what a bargain !!

My base is Cranberry Moss site near Oswestry.....Wrinkly price, single bloke, wifi included, CLEAN TOILETS !!!! all for £8 - 90 per night ! Like Janine said, they post the times of cleaning, so work around it !!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
There is a cl site at the rear of my works--
£8 per night with h u.
The loos have not been cleaned for months :Eeek:
But, most users are full timers who use their own loo in their caravans and Motorhomes ect -- they don`t want any luxurys, just water, leccy and disposal pipe,----------- cheap living :thumb:

SURWAYA

Free Member
Aug 30, 2011
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
I feel the need to stick up for the CC. We've been motorhoming for 2 years now and spend the whole summer May to October on the road. During that time we've stayed almost exclusively at CC sites and have visited pretty much all of the sites from Cornwall to Cumbria. I think I'm correct in saying, without exception, that they have all been exactly what was advertised. They are always immaculately presented and you know what you are going to get for your money. Reception always ask if you've been before and, if not, they provide you with a pamphlet with all of the times and details together with a site map. Toilet/shower cleaning times are always published around the facilities in question and some, where available, include the use of additional toilets during the cleaning periods. What's the problem? I think the most we've paid in high season is £24.00 per day - that's for as much water and electricity that we can gobble, piped TV where no signal exists and unlimited use of spotlessly clean hot showers. I really do think they get an unjustified hard time. Yep! I agree, some of the staff have been charm school failures but ask yourself an honest question, "are you the life and soul of the party every day 24/7"? Let's all be realistic.

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Is it really a club?

Without wishing to start another major debate, I can't really see how the CC can be considered a club these days, as it is run as a commercial concern.

I'm a member of the 'Royal Automobile Club', but it's really Aviva insurance and the last time I got a salute from a patrol man it was with two fingers when I cut him up.::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back