Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi John

I think you will find there is an onscreen meter for the useage so no surprises. Unless you have auto updates etc or you download pics/programs you should be okay

stew

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
It works and very well too!

Did an unwanted avast security check with slowed logging on the morning but otherwise fine.

What a great bit of kit:thumb:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi John

Pleased to hear it.

As it happens the signal this side of Newark is not as good as the signal the other side. SO in other areas you will be even more amazed and pleased :Smile:

stew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

theboadacea

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Onspeed

Stew ... do you still use Onspeed with your 7.2mb connection? I have noticed that when my connection is flying on hsdpa, Onspeed actually slows it down. It may well compress the data, but at the expense of speed.

I have started disabling it before connecting lately as not only does it slow it but then it occasionally loses the connection too - usually at a vital bidding moment on ebay :Angry:

However, if I only have a basic 2G/3G connection then Onspeed is back on the cards.

What are your experiences with it?

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: Just in case anyone has a problem with the Vodafone Dongle? I spent 3 1/2 hours yesterday setting up a friends Acer Laptop with the Spanish version of the Vodafone dongle. It would have perhaps been easier if he hadn't had a problem with his new Acer to start with in that it wouldn't use the DVD/CD due to not being recognised. After I fixed that problem using 'REGEDIT'.
It was a matter of then using a Laptop with pre-Vista (ie. my XP Laptop). Downloaded the updates for Vista onto my Laptop.
Installed the dongle on my Laptop.
Updated the Dongle with the Vista version on my Laptop.
Then fit the dongle to the Acer Vista and hey presto. We have lift off.

The Acer nearly had lift off prior to him bringing it to me, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

adventure

Free Member
Oct 16, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
25 years
Hi all

Three have an offer on this weekend in store only and exsisting 3 customers, 3gb dongle £7.50 18 month contract, details were on hotukdeals.co.uk

hope this helps someone, I am not a three customer :cry:

nick

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I was a bit disappointed at Newark to find I was only receiving a GPRS signal on T-Mobile - but I assume that will improve over time.

I've also had trouble with the laptop crashing from time to time but wasn't sure of the cause as I've recently upgraded memory as well as adding the dongle.

Finally isolated it this morning to the dongle - looks like a driver had been corrupted somehow (whilst I was upgrading the memory??). Anyway, uninstalled and re-installed the hardware amd software and all seemed OK after that.

Graham

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
First of all we want to apologise for our ignorance, but we are considering a DONGLE. ~Can anyone tell us if it transferrable from one computer to another e.g. can we use this on our home computer and then take it away with us on the laptop?????

Thanks - Nigel and Pamala

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
First of all we want to apologise for our ignorance, but we are considering a DONGLE. ~Can anyone tell us if it transferrable from one computer to another e.g. can we use this on our home computer and then take it away with us on the laptop?????

Thanks - Nigel and Pamala

Yes

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Our Dongle has been ordered.

We got the special deal they were offering for last weekend only. If you are a '3' customer you could get 3GB for £7.50 per month for the next eighteen months.

We were not sure about the coverage in our area, so we have been told that we have three full days usage to see what the signal is like and if no signal we can return it without any problems.

Looking forward to getting it, should be tomorrow. We will then be able to use it while we are spending a few days away in our 5th wheel over Easter.

Nigel and Pamala

cpease

Free Member
Mar 16, 2008
Morley,Leeds up North
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit stealth van
Exp
since June 2006
I' ve had one a couple of months now on three network no problems £ 10 per month on pay & run no contracts no stupid credit checks to fail even though I have a mobile on contract with them.:ROFLMAO:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Sick of trying to go online through my phone so ordered one:winky:

DONGLE

How are you getting on with your dongle (where did they get that name) I also got a 3 dongle but a 3gig one because it was only on a 12 month contract at £15 month and as we plan this year in the uk but next year europe then they would not be viable (I think) but will see how we get on, is yours as good as you thought. Carol.

Last edited:

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
:Smile:mine arrived today aim to try it out over easter John(roadrunner) will be there so if I have any probs i know he will help me:thumb:
ruth

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Ruth Cwmcuttan has part wifi but will be delighted to help you dongle (as long as tony doesn't mind:winky::Blush::roflmto:)

Donglings easy peasy though:winky:

Last edited:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Dongle received and new laptop, we know nothing about these things so had someone else set them both up for us, and they are not too familiar with this setup, even though the dongle was received on Thursday, it is only tonight that we have been able to logon to MHFun. We are not in a very good signal area for 3 which makes it all the more difficult, but finally we are able to keep in touch whilst staying in our fifth wheel over Easter.

It will take some getting used to, but we are willing to persevere.

Happy Easter to All

Nigel and Pamala

Floozie2

Free Member
Feb 29, 2008
Videix, France
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
9 years
More dongle questions

Good thread this one. Couple of questions for one who is a born again Luddite:Sad: Does the dongle provider become your ISP, so no need for Tiscali or such anymore or do you pay for the Dongle and then for your broadband ISP on top? Secondly, any suggestions on what to do when abroad - I guess dongles would be damned expensive then. Lastly (and yes, I really am so dozy when it comes to this stuff despite being born in the computer age!) If I switched to a dongle over here and found hotspots WiFi abroad, if I cancelled my Tiscali account how would I get on with getting on the internet?

Hope someone will take pity on me and clue me up here:Doh:

Cheers

Richard

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hello Richard,

The mobile phone company which you contract with is an ISP - but only for Internet access through their network. If you want to continue to access the Internet from home through your landline then you need to retain your current broadband (e.g. Tiscali) account.

If the data limit allowed by the mobile provider is sufficient for all your needs then you could cease the broadband account through your landline but, depending on how good the mobile signal is where you live, you could find that access is slower.

I signed up for T-Mobile only a few weeks ago but intend using it only when we are away from home. We intend keeping our Virgin (formerly NTL) cable broadband access for home use.

As far as I understand it (doesn't matter to me because we don't go abroad) it can get quite expensive using a dongle overseas. Roaming charges vary so you would need to check with the companies before taking the plunge.

Using WiFi hotspots either in this country or abroad is different again from using a dongle or your home ISP. The ISP you are connecting to when using WiFi is the owner of the WiFi hotspot. This might be a mobile phone provider like T-Mobile but not always - at WiFi enabled CC sites, for instance, you connect to the Internet via the Kezone ISP. You have a WiFi account - which might be a permanent one or might be a fixed term one through a day/week/month scratch card.

Hope this makes things a little bit clearer.

Graham

Mark breen

Free Member
Oct 27, 2007
Funster No
Sick of trying to go online through my phone so ordered one:winky:

DONGLE

Hi Road Runner
I have just bought a Vodaphone 3GB per month £15.00.
Though might not work all over the Uk and it is £10.00 per day in Europe.
We had a very relaxing weekend hope to see you All again soon.
Regards Mark & Ann .

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Hi Mark

Real pleased you enjoyed the weekend and hope to see you soon again in the future.

Eileen's site really is nice and she was so worried you might have missed the last train back (not many site owners care so much:winky:)

You have a lovely bus BTW:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back