I've been skip diving ... for dogs ....!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Minxy Girl, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Well, on behalf of dogs might be a more appropriate description!

www.hull-greyhoundrescue.co.uk

It was all done with the best intentions ... for one of our local dog charities - Hull Greyhound Rescue. Every year the University throws away the old bedding/duvets/pillows, from the student residences when they put out the stuff for the new intake of students. As I used to work in the Estates Directorate the Cleaning Manager always told me when they were coming so for the last 3/4 years they just plonked them outside the office and I stuck them in my car/camper or whatever and brought them home before eventually taking a camper load to the HGR. This year, though, they've been throwing them in some large skips (they look more like storage containers) so yesterday and today we've been crawling around inside them to retrieve anything half decent, fortunately most of them were in bags but we had to take them out to see if they were usable as some were badly marked/torn etc so not suitable, nonetheless the camper was stuffed yesterday with what we got - it looked like it had been 'invaded' by a load of giant marshmallows! :D

This morning we took them to the HGR and I had the chance to meet one of the former 'residents', a young dog called Sonny, who had been abused and then attacked by a staffie and nearly died from his injuries, so he is even more timid, but once he got used to us he was happily letting us play with him with his toys. We then went and 'skip dived' again and have loaded up the camper with even more 'marshmallows' and will take them round tomorrow.

If anyone has any bedding etc going spare that they were just going to throw away please take it to one of the dog charity kennels etc (check they want it first!) and especially the Greyhound ones as they really DO need it especially with winter coming up.

Why Greyhounds more than other dogs? They are NOT used to bedding - when 'working' they are just kept on straw so when they first go to the rescue centres they have 'accidents' on their bedding which means the charities go through loads and loads of stuff, much more than a 'normal' dog charity kennels would, so duvets are a godsend to them.

Below is a photo from their website showing one of the greyhounds snuggling in a duvet:

greyhound in duvet.jpg

• Like Like x 17
  2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

thankyou for caring for rescue dogs(y)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Minxy Girl

We've had lots of dogs ourselves from rescue centres, 'free to good homes' etc but don't want another at the moment as 3 is enough, so at least this still lets us do something for the hairy little beasties!:D

• Like Like x 3
  4. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Thanks for that Minx. Also anyone throwing away old armchairs or cushions ... well, our local dogs' home wants those too for the little uns to feel at home in .... also left over balls of wool .. most animal charities want these as they have volunteer knitters to make blankets .. or you could volunteer to be a knitter for them...

• Like Like x 3
  5. champers

champers Funster Life Member

Oh Minx ... I have recently taken bags of them to the cash for clothes centre locally ... not wanting anything for them really but just a way of ridding as selling our house ... oh so gutted as I am such a big lover of dogs xx

We will certainly have more once we sell... and will remember this thread for sure...My male dog had broken his back and knowing how the soft bedding can help animals in need xxx

• Like Like x 1
  6. big bertha

big bertha Funster

Well done, sorry about going of the deep end in the thread we won't mention, we also have 3 rescued dogs albeit from family. Love greyhounds, in laws in Spain had one that had been very badly treated. There's a house clearance yard near me where I usually stock up on old duvets or blankets.(y)

7. gibbon

gibbon Read Only Funster

It's great what your doing for greyhounds Minx. We've had 3 from Hall Green RGT & 1 from Monmore Green.
    The most wonderful gentle dogs. We had 3 together in our house for most of our 11 years with them.
    The little whippet in my avatar is more work than 3 greyhounds!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

In previous years my sister has knitted dog coats and sold them in aid of our local hospice, has now changed and will be doing then for our local dog rescue centre. They are great and she even puts little pockets on them to carry a spare poo bag! We love dogs needless to say!

• Like Like x 1
  9. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

As many know, Dawn does a lot of work at the local rescue centre, mainly with dogs. We foster some for various reasons and at the moment have a very square looking heavily pregnant cat probably giving birth today and an ex puppy farm cocker spaniel bitch who was no longer any use so simply dumped by the breeder.....:mad:

Picture of Dolly who is up for adoption at the moment - needs another dog to be with. Very very good natured and ever so soft and friendly. Loves everything. Please don't contact me about it though...... the picture is for interest. How someone could dump such a cute dog, we will never know.

Back to duvets etc - cut up and re-sown they make great dog beds for the rescue place

image.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  10. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Boy,she is a cute dog.

Some people are an absolute waste of space aren't they?

• Like Like x 3
  11. DuxDeluxe

Lived in a cage all her life and had many litters until she had a problem and had to be spayed......... Good with other dogs but not quite house trained which is what we are doing (got stone floors in the doggie areas.......)

• Like Like x 3
  12. Debs

Debs Funster

What a great re-use of bedding (y)We always take our old stuff to babbington or jerry greens rescue. I've even taken stuff from people at the tip (settee cushions, pillows, blankets) and taken it:)

Is there a big greyhound rescue thing on at derby racecourse today? Someone mentioned while I was in the pool earlier.

Edit: its at Nottingham
    http://www.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk/Great-Greyhound-Gathering/

1st time I've posted a link, hope it works

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  13. DuxDeluxe

I know it is slightly off topic but also relevant........

image.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  14. movan

movan Funster Life Member

David, think you should keep bumping that poster up ..... I don't think people realise how many lovely pooches are put to sleep because of all this latest gimmicky in breeding ..

• Like Like x 2
  15. DuxDeluxe

Might do that, Joy.

Thus far in this household we have.....

14 yr old Lucky - so named because she was the runt of the litter, nobody wanted her and someone tried to drown her. Rescued and a "proper little madam"

11 yr old Dillon - a very amiable but utterly bonkers cocker spaniel. Rescued from the vets as someone wanted him put down because he was a pain in the ass..

Both the above live with daughter

8 year old Jake another mad but lovely cocker - he had been rehomed several times because he is just a bit of a needy dog. We love him

14 year old Barney - again rescued from the vets as his owner had died and was going to be put down. A feisty but friendly happy Jack Russell cross who gets under your feet

Both of those are ours

5 year old Dolly whom we are fostering. Story as above.

Please, if you are looking for a dog, contact your local dog rescue first. There are loads of really lovely dogs up for adoption. We have lost count of the number that Dawn has helped to rehome. Easily our favourite was Sasha the Oaf Hound. Husky, Rottie, GSD straight cross. 50% Husky. She is over 40 kilos and still see her around. Lovely dog

image.jpg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  16. frogijock

frogijock Funster

When our last dog died we took a 16 kilo bag to the local rescue centre and ended up coming away with a little Staffie bitch, had her a year now and getting another Rescue Staffie at end of the month

• Like Like x 1
  17. DuxDeluxe

Lovely dogs, Staffies - undeserved bad reputation as trophy dogs. We've fostered a few

18. Minxy Girl

Must agree about staffies, I absolutely love them and make a point of saying hello to them when out and about and haven't come across a nasty one ever. Our cross staffie/greyhound is so loving, despite being very badly abused when she was younger.

19. Minxy Girl

Just thought I'd post a picture of our camper stuffed to the roof with 'marshmallows'! We went to get some more today and rammed in as many as we could ... didn't count them but there must have been at least 60 in there, along with pillows and covers. Will see if we can get some more next week. :D

20. Minxy Girl

Trying again with photos ....
    duvets 2.jpg

duvets 1.jpg

• Like Like x 2