It's too tight....advice please (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Then you climb out through the rooflight ?

No out the cat flap at the rear that's why I went on a diet :ROFLMAO:

We had the dealer drive to our house ( only favour we got)
reverse down the drive till the mirrors touched the two houses
we purposely bought a van that I could fit a rear hatch in
wish I'd have bought the LHD hymer auto
that stood next to it
that had a hatch in the back already
Mrs t didn't like it though
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
And remember,,,, your insurance will probably go up considerably... if on a secure site... :Sad:

Mine actually went down (Safeguard), as opposed to leaving it on the drive, but I think it had to be CoSSOA gold standard. Probably says more about my street than the secure site ::bigsmile:

And to the OP, just make sure it's not this tight... :Smile:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSuR5f8-DQY"]Caravan Stuck In Garage - YouTube[/ame]

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Hi Mousy

I have the same chassis as you and a similar problem, tight turn into drive. Just been out and measured the gates, distance between gate posts 3000mm. The Northants / Surrey is 2660mm with mirrors extended and 2260 folded. The sprinter has a good turning circle and so long as you take it slow (easy with an auto):thumb: should be ok

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Mousy

I have the same chassis as you and a similar problem, tight turn into drive. Just been out and measured the gates, distance between gate posts 3000mm. The Northants / Surrey is 2660mm with mirrors extended and 2260 folded. The sprinter has a good turning circle and so long as you take it slow (easy with an auto):thumb: should be ok

How do you know where I live?

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We have the same problem, Narrow street, narrow drive. Maureen watches as I do the 90 degree turn, then the reverse back, then into the Drive, 50mm to spare each side, first 5-8 metres A OK, then narrows, Maureen closes the Passenger Mirror, I drive up the drive, and she watches as we crest the Drive, I've had to take a fillet out of the House Facia, there is literally 25mm to spare above the roof of the M/H.

You can borrow her, for a large 5 figure Sum:ROFLMAO:

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Yes my gate. this is it (if I can link it)

Attachments

• drive2.jpg
    drive2.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We have the same problem, Narrow street, narrow drive. Maureen watches as I do the 90 degree turn, then the reverse back, then into the Drive, 50mm to spare each side, first 5-8 metres A OK, then narrows, Maureen closes the Passenger Mirror, I drive up the drive, and she watches as we crest the Drive, I've had to take a fillet out of the House Facia, there is literally 25mm to spare above the roof of the M/H.

You can borrow her, for a large 5 figure Sum:ROFLMAO:

I'll just tell my man to grow some, it seems you all have tighter spots than mine:winky:

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
storage or home drive

I guess I'm the only one siding with Mousy. We have never been able to keep the van at home so have always used storage both in West Yorks and now in Cornwall. Not Cassoa, but both secure, with owners living on site, and only paid £200 in each location.
We use the van at least once a month and have never needed to hook it up when in storage. We keep it stocked with clothes, bedding and tinned food and on the odd occasion we need to take more to the van than our car will carry (eg long European trip) we bring it home and park it outside whilst we load it. Our insurance, which is fully comp with European breakdown and unlimited windscreen cover is less than £400 a year.
Keeping it in storage has never been inconvenient for us.:thumb:

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Didn't mean that to sound quite as suggestive!! :eek:pp5

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
For fear of boring everyone, this is what I've decided, try and get it on the drive, if it works great, hope it's not too stressfull or that we end up on you tube as above.

If it just won't fit, store it for 6 months, see how much of a pain that is and so then look to changing the drive.

Will keep you all posted, thanks again you wonderful funsters ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In my current house I don't have an issue, this will change though when we move to the one I'm renovating. The drive on it is just a normal width drive and its more to do with the angle than the width, my solution was to take one brick pillar down and haven't touched the drive as I reverse in the overhang goes over the garden then as I straighten up its fine as wheels never leave drive.

My next problem is when parked on drive I can't get by it so have to go through house to get out back door not so great, I do have a solution to that and will be my winter project. The current garage is asbestos and sits on a concrete slab so I am going to remove this and this will give me a concrete slab of 7m long to park MH on. I will then build a large shed behind this, so mh will be parked all the way behind house out of sight and safe.

Only problem I have to reverse about 20M with mirrors folded in so very important to have it straight before this.

So you see with a bit of thought all things can be overcome.

hope you are getting the professionals in Gerry.

asbestos needs to be triple bagged and taped closed.
then its classed as hazardous waste and needs a licenced carrier.

cant just take it down the local tip.

but im sure you are aware of all this. :thumb:

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
its to tight

Hi Mousey,
You've blinded me with science a bit!
I wouldn't want to have our motorhome at the house. For £200 and something a year its save and secure. We don't do anything special to it and she has never failed to start Thats just my experience:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
:
Pics from google earth so it makes it look bigger at the bottom, but it gives you some idea.

I'm surprised the vote seems so overwhelming for the more expensive option. What are the major problems over wintering a mh on storage? we would aim to take it out every other weekend, if only for a daytrip. Although it being a new toy might be more lol.

I'm thinking all that dosh spent on the drive is lots of crossiants and ferry trips!

You would soon get fed up with going up and down to storage:Doh:...and looking at the photo's you have suplied... I can not see any problem at all...your motorhome is only 6.4m long and 2260 wide...I would think your entrance is 3 meters wide....and if any change was needed...I said if...I would go for the right hand hinge side looking from the outside .....years ago I used to make 5 bar field gates when I was a Joiner app:RollEyes:in my younger teens:RollEyes::thumb: ..and the most common size was 3 meters. and don't forget it is only a wooden gate and can be modified...if you wanted to make it a lot wider you could always put a wicket gate on the left clap/fasten side with a removable metal post into a square hole concreted into the tarmac floor, move your hinged side of the gate further into the Hedge....that is IF...and it is a IF because.. I can not see any problem. looking at the photo, and the van size, and the road, if you just went a little way passed your entrance and then turned into your gate you would be near square on straight up and into the drive:Doh:

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
hope you are getting the professionals in Gerry.

asbestos needs to be triple bagged and taped closed.
then its classed as hazardous waste and needs a licenced carrier.

cant just take it down the local tip.

but im sure you are aware of all this. :thumb:

I thought exactly the same so phoned my local council waste management to ask them advice, I was told if I double bag it and take it to the local tip they will deal with this. The only thing they said was give the guys at the tip a call so they are ready for you.

I didn't believe him so phoned again to check with environmental health and was told as long as I don't cut it and the fact its asbestos cement it will be ok, this reminded me of when I worked for the water board and discovered there's actually such a thing as asbestos cement water pipes.

I will double check though before actually starting.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Mousy, FWIW we have had experience of both worlds - storing on the drive and currently in secure storage. Having it on the drive was a constant worry - worry about passersby with bad motives, vandalism, nasty neighbours, plus our drive is a nightmare - even though I had it widened to accommodate the MH - it is steep and the MH grounds on the rear overhang at the bottom of the drive which was insurmountable unless we bought a smaller MH or undertook extensive renovation and engineering works to rejig the whole long, shared driveway.

So the MH stood, laid up for several years, as the drive made it such a nightmare to even contemplate going out for a weekend. ( I was working away for a long time, so it was not only the drive, we decided that circumstances were temporary and we would keep the MH and resume using it asap)

During that time, it was on an EHU I had had installed for it, and I opened it up regularly, aired it, started the engine, batteries all good.

Recently, we found a Cassoa Gold Secure site close to home. No EHU but am trying to get solar panels / batteries fully sorted and now also have a Honda eu20i genny. We visit the MH at least once a week, occasionally once in 2 weeks, start the genny and plug into it for about 2 hours while we have a cuppa and watch telly for a while and do little bits around the MH. To solve the problem of excess stuff and storage of items we don't need every trip, we bought an older caravan which is parked alongside the MH and acts as the MH "extension". The storage fee is quite reasonable, around £300.

It is a pleasure to have the space back on our driveway and know that the MH is pretty safe where it is; we use less electricity now its not on permanent hookup, and the storage is easy to access. oK the hours of access are not 24/7, but we can live with that. Plus criminals now find it harder to "clock" whether we are home or not.

Its all about what suits you best and how much space you can give the MH without making your life miserable or panic about damaging it when you park it or drive off. :thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Mousy ... just a bit of lateral thinking here.

Did you perchance once move into that house? What transported your gear to that place - was it perchance a very large van?

How did they fare?

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
You could always move house to somewhere you can getr the motorhome on?

Seriously though, its horses for courses, we have always had our motorhomes on our drive as it suits us in both cost and availability. We often go out for the day and so can just load up and go.
The only downside is that I work from home and the Motorhome is outside the office window so I can often be found staring wistfully at it wishing I was away in it,

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Mousy ... just a bit of lateral thinking here.

Did you perchance once move into that house? What transported your gear to that place - was it perchance a very large van?

How did they fare?

It was a massive lorry they couldn't get anywhere near the front.

Moving day was awful, in the end they came down a lane at the back of the property, cut into a hedge and dropped everything down a 6ft bank.

Managed to upset loads of neighbours...that and the fact we are English :whatthe:

We've been here 10 years now, it's not that we like it, I just can't face moving!

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
It was a massive lorry they couldn't get anywhere near the front.

Moving day was awful, in the end they came down a lane at the back of the property, cut into a hedge and dropped everything down a 6ft bank.

Managed to upset loads of neighbours...that and the fact we are English :whatthe:

We've been here 10 years now, it's not that we like it, I just can't face moving!

:RollEyes::winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Then you climb out through the rooflight ?

Did not say it's my drive only how easy it was to reverse :winky:When I was working I used to reverse down some really tight drives but unload via back doors :thumb:
My own drive is around 14 ft wide gate,but around 20 ft wide and can sit a couple of vans easy or 3 cars on side by side :winky:::bigsmile:
terry
edit
Having now looked at the pics and got upto date I cannot see a problem -- 3 mtrs is just short of 10 ft and mh is max 8 ft -- very easy to pull forward and reverse up the drive ::bigsmile:

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Did not say it's my drive only how easy it was to reverse :winky:When I was working I used to reverse down some really tight drives but unload via back doors :thumb:
My own drive is around 14 ft wide gate,but around 20 ft wide and can sit a couple of vans easy or 3 cars on side by side :winky:::bigsmile:
terry
edit
Having now looked at the pics and got upto date I cannot see a problem -- 3 mtrs is just short of 10 ft and mh is max 8 ft -- very easy to pull forward and reverse up the drive ::bigsmile:

I agree with Terry I many times reverse into some places, as sometimes it is only the only way.....all I would say is watch your rear/tail end for fish tailing when exiting and on entry when turning in or out....:Eeek:..I did read a well know Funster forget all about the fishtail action when he pulled out of a site:Doh::RollEyes:

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I work from home and the Motorhome is outside the office window so I can often be found staring wistfully at it wishing I was away in it,
It's time to read the 'mobile office' thread on here then. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back