It's too tight....advice please

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Mousy, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

As you may know we are almost the proud and giddy new owners of a auto sleeper northants. It's 6.4 mts long 2260 wide. However, it looks like the access to our drive is just too tight, the dealer is willing to bring it up on Wednesdayto try, we've been out with a tape measure but it's all about the width and angle...steady boys!

It will cost us about 3-4k to have major landscaping and tarmacing done to provide access. (Taking down existing wall, pillar, lighting, digging out, moving and rebuilding wall, pillar new gate new lighting etc then making good and tar acing to lane and drive)

So I'm wondering about off site storage, what are the pros and cons? I've found a place locally £225 per year daily access locked and secure, or a gold cos thingy site at £365 but they won't know if they have space til dec.

Don't you have to keep the electric cable in over winter for the batteries and oil rad etc? The van does have a solar panel but not sure of wattage. Both stores are open air.

I would much prefer having it with us but not if the start to any weekend away is me standing outside with a pair of ping pong bats and a very grumpy husband doing a 50 point turn! :cry:

Of course if we do go off site that opens up the possibility of choosing a different MH aaarrrgh lets not even go there yet!!

Help...

2. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Pesonally I would bite the bullet and have it done...

Do a lot of work yourself if possible to keep the cost down..

Nothing like having it on your doorstep to keep an eye on it and do odd job`s..

Some will say it is obvious when you are away..... but that`s a chance I have always taken..

And as to date nothing has ever happened to us... (Famous last words.. :Doh:):thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  3. Terry

Terry Funster

How wide is the drive ? using the mirrors I can reverse into holes of about 2 ins wider than the van easy :thumb: Less than a inch either side becomes more difficult :Wink::BigGrin:
    terry

• Like Like x 2
  4. Phill D

Phill D

we have ours on the side of our drive with a hook up :thumb: i agree with old mo:thumb:

5. Phill D

Phill D

i guess its all about the overhang and how tight you have to turn before clearing the drive pillars:Sad:

6. Mousy

I'll see if I can find a pic, it's too grey with drizzle to see owt now!

7. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I would get more quotes !!
    And forget tarmac. Lay slabs along the side ( proper big paving slabs not the silly things you get from garden centres .. Get them from you local council yard for very little lolly ).. Looks nice and will be able to support the van in hot weather ( ours sinks in to tarmac on very hot days ! )

I would hazard a guess that the whole job could be done for about £1200 tops

• Like Like x 2
  8. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

I agree with Mo and other's.....100% on your drive..it will be cheaper in the long run than in a compound...!!!...paying the compound...diesel / petrol back and forwards to the pound...security...plus when arriving home after a M/H holiday you can leave the van and unpack at your leisure...when the weather permits...also loading before a trip....heating in the winter...a low wattage oil heater inside...also filling up with water...vacuuming out when at home...washing the van...the list just goes on and on:thumb:
    THE VAN ON YOUR OWN DRIVE:thumb: 100%

• Like Like x 3
  9. tofo

tofo Funster

Is it as tight as the pic in the link

https://picasaweb.google.com/mytinsnail/2008_1011flimsy03

Edit https://picasaweb.google.com/mytinsnail/2008_1011flimsy04

Added link to show the door :Doh::Doh:

That 24 " hole is my only exit when parked at home

The mirrors are folded against the cab doors

The van is reversed in to the gap 4 foot back from the front of the house

Took the Thetford door off first time well practised now

No not wrecking the Thetford door!!! :Blush:

Reversing in :Blush:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  10. marymary

marymary

Yep im with the drive too, storage is always a bind, when its at home you can pop in and do things and have a cuppa.... :thumb:

11. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

We had to take a saw to our gate post and remove a fence panel.
    It never occurred to me when I accidentally bought the MH, just how we'd get it into the drive.:Doh:
    Hope you resolve it without too much hassle

12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

never say never !

i had to widen our drive by around 1mtr for around 8mtrs in length.....1.2mtr high grass/soil/rock embankment.

then, to liven things up, i have to reverse around 300mtrs down a 7ft wide (tarmac-ed bit) lane just to get to the 90deg drive entrance....nowhere to turn round. :Sad:

my motorhome is 33ft long and 8ft 4in wide

• Like Like x 1
  13. lorger

lorger Funster

In my current house I don't have an issue, this will change though when we move to the one I'm renovating. The drive on it is just a normal width drive and its more to do with the angle than the width, my solution was to take one brick pillar down and haven't touched the drive as I reverse in the overhang goes over the garden then as I straighten up its fine as wheels never leave drive.

My next problem is when parked on drive I can't get by it so have to go through house to get out back door not so great, I do have a solution to that and will be my winter project. The current garage is asbestos and sits on a concrete slab so I am going to remove this and this will give me a concrete slab of 7m long to park MH on. I will then build a large shed behind this, so mh will be parked all the way behind house out of sight and safe.

Only problem I have to reverse about 20M with mirrors folded in so very important to have it straight before this.

So you see with a bit of thought all things can be overcome.

• Like Like x 1
  14. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Then you climb out through the rooflight ?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mousy

16. lorger

lorger Funster

That's a lot better than mine, I'd take the pillar holding the gate down and replace it with a removable one. I don't think you should have to widen the drive as your wheels aren't the widest point, so see if you can get the axle width as I'm sure that will fit on the tar.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mousy

Pics from google earth so it makes it look bigger at the bottom, but it gives you some idea.

I'm surprised the vote seems so overwhelming for the more expensive option. What are the major problems over wintering a mh on storage? we would aim to take it out every other weekend, if only for a daytrip. Although it being a new toy might be more lol.

I'm thinking all that dosh spent on the drive is lots of crossiants and ferry trips!

18. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

As far as I can see...

Just move the right hand pillar in a couple of foot or so... :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mousy

Post on right as you look at the house? I was thinking of taking the left post out and moving that curved wall along/over about 7 foot, it's not so much the width of the posts it's getting it to the posts. Does that make sense?

20. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

Thats simple.... take down the gate pillar and rebuild 18" back (2 brick widths)

when concreting the foundation for new pillar add on an extra section to take the lamp post and re route cable

get a bigger gate made or pick a standard width off the peg at a farm shop

total cost under £1000

oh and cut the trees back a bit because of overhangs. I would bet that the van would then fit in front of the garage

• Like Like x 1