Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have just bought a new Broadway FB ( I managed to get to Mrs A's redundancy money before she spent it on clothes :getmecoat:)
Anyway, now we have it, we want to use it as much as possible. I will be early retiring too next month, so we will have plenty of time.
All our previous campers have been just that, old Vw's and old Fords, that never had very good heating or insulation, so camping out of season was never as comfortable as Mrs A would have liked.
But, we saw "Winter Mode" on the Truma system and understand the van is well insulated, and as we both love skiing, we shall be hoping to get a few alpine trips in during the winter.
Now, heres the "its just dawned on me" thing. It has underslung water tanks and exposed pipework, and although AS can fit a froststat in the fresh water tank, everything else is probably going to freeze.
So, we have a dilemma. We either winter in a warmer climate, stay at home or discover some way to properly winterize the van for all year round use.

I know, we should have checked it was suitable for use in the Alps :RollEyes: first, but that wasnt one of our priorities then when we were looking for a van, and I supposed we assumed it would be properly insulated.

So, has anybody used an AS van for a skiing holiday? How did you get round the external pipes freezing?

My idea ( and I have only been thinking about this for half an hour or so,) is to have the froststat fitted ( £400+ :Eeek:) and insulate all the pipework under the van. That leaves the waste tank. How on earth am I going to stop that from freezing?

Any help would be most appreciated. I dont just want to use this as a 3 season van.

Allan

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
PM Haganap and ask how he did it or look back at Haggers thread on the subject, very infomative.........Griff

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
When you retire what makes you think you'll have loads of time? We never seem to have enough time.

Bill

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Too true. Mrs A retired early in March and now she has no time to spare..
Chickens, dogs, allotment and live in Mother in Law means she has plenty to do.
Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Re "its just dawning on me.."

That's like the irish man that sat up all night to see where the sun went to -- it suddenly dawned on him!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Cool:

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Had a read through Haganaps post, doesn't look too difficult, in theory. I need to get hold of some waterproof pipe insulation , all the drain pipes are under the van, luckily, all the waste traps are inboard
CAK Tanks looks a good place to get tank insulation from too. Ironically, they are just a couple of miles away from where I used to live, now they are 180 miles away
I can feel a few days away in the van coming on.......

Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back