It's just about time for our part time traveling (1 Viewer)

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Hi we are going part time in March 2016 we have just about got our 20.grand to take 3years off . We will be traveling round the UK to start with for months at a time .we have a 7m van so we are changing it for bigger and making it fully independent so we can just use farms /pubs /fields/as we will need to keep the costs down we will try to stay under a tener a night we have had the m/h for 4 years now so we know the crack . this last six months is hard at work as I can not white to be free as a bird Linda is the same she worris about us been together 24/7 and that we can manage on £150 a week but iv been on a low budget be for and it's doable . The 24/7 thing will be fine. .we are just closing the house down . Putting it to sleep . We hope to go to France n Spain in the winter time as u funsters do and I envey u . So now our turn soon I'm 58 n Linda is 46 . We will keep u up dated on how we get on and what van we end up with. We have a autocruse starburst. 05 . John n Linda

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Hmmmmmm, that all rings a bell, albeit from the distant past.
We did much about the same way back in 1970 - just took off for a "couple of years" before the kids arrived. Didn't set foot in the UK again until 1987. Once "on the road" and realising there's more to life than 9 to 5, it's very difficult to return to "normal" life, and I don't think I ever have!
Just do it and enjoy it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi j & l, Just seen your post,have a great time,lots of adventures & keep safe on your travels.Look forward to reading your updates.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Why not make your property work for you? Rent it out and get some extra income....good luck:)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
£20k equates to £128 per week over 3 years.. not £150
frankly I doubt that is enough unless you free camp for most of the time.. and or have another source of income..

Good luck.. we were full time for 3 years... A budget of £12k per year is more realistic..

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
:clap2::smiley:go for it guys (y), kesriel and myself have pretty much the same plan to go part time and take off travelling , looking into being self sufficient and the rough plan is for me to do short contracts to fill up the coffers and kesriel will continue to run her business a reduced format. We very much want to experience an adventure whilst we are still in good health

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
I'm so envious, wish we could do it too. Good luck and enjoy it!

OP
OP
BONZO

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
We know we are on a short string with money but can be done and that's taken in tener a night on sites and saving moor on cheaper ones . We are thinking of taking logders in to help and doing it that way we can return and keep full address for letters we can all so save money when home as bills for house are not in the £150. A week . And house is paid for . Just got back from east coast had a very hot week we was lucky. John n Linda

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Why just go to Europe in the winter? We've just left the aire at Carnac which was free except for €2 for water and we've now moved to another aire near Quiberon which is about €6 a night and is beside the sea! Lots of French MHomers just seem to spend all their time creeping between free aires and wild camping - lots in the car parks around Carnac. The only reason for coming to the UK would be for the MOT of course, but that could be a short trip during which you could take the opportunity to remind family how much you are enjoying yourselves. :)

Don't forget insurance. Full time MH insurance will be over £1K and you will need to sort out something for your house as leaving it empty for a long time will make getting insurance very difficult.

OP
OP
BONZO

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Hi D B K . We are at first just touring for one or two months at a time but I feel we will want more as we go on . That's when we look at our options. But we can't wait to come over seas we've never been off this cold island . It's funny we are trying to get off the UK and thousands are trying to come . But that's another story. We are changing the van for a bigger one 28/30/ft if we are doing it .we are in style.lol john n Linda .

Reactions: DBK

nomadtim

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
Iwade
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 1017a
Exp
Around the world in a land rover Defender,UK to Aqaba Bmw r100gs, Uk to Turkey Bmw 650 gs Daker.
Good on you Bonzo we wish you all the best and will look forward to you're updates, we just sold up in 2003 and toured europe then Africa then on to Australia with two children in a Defender best time of our lives.
Once you get out of the front door it all becomes easy, it took me around 1 month to totally chill out and stop worrying, so many good people out there and plenty of inspiration if only you look

OP
OP
BONZO

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Up date
The van has just be fitted with 3new battery's and a1000wat inverter it's had new carpets . Iv only got one soler panel 80w may need one more. We are off to Whitby for the goth weekend and then down the east coast for one week so we will see how we go on .we can't wait for the big adventure next year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back