its getting near rodent winter nesting time (1 Viewer)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
My eldest lad has had Rats move into an extension he is building, one of his two dogs is fairly effective, he has caught more on the sticky Pads than in any of the traps. One rat was managing to walk clumsily away with an A4 size mat stuck to his right front leg, needless to say he couldn't get down his bolt hole fast enough to avoid the dog.

I had exactly the same issue on my extension that I built, very difficult to get rid of them once they enter, a few things that I have learnt though seem to have eradicated the problem....they need a constant source of water, steel wool is one of the only materials they can't chew through to gain entry, they'll even chew through Aluminium, steel and finally they do not have great sight so rely on the tracks they or other rodents have taken so it's imperative that if you do have an issue then you thoroughly clean the route they've used
Forgot to say, don't bother wasting your money on the electronic deterrents, they do not work

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
someone told me to put parafin in a glass jar in the van as a deterrent .... I did this last year after an invasion and touch wood it worked. Have already done it again this year along with the lavender, Dettol, peppermint oil capsules, bleach ................ paranoid about them coming back. :(

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
My works van battery went flat the other day and when I opened the bonnet I found 5 bars of chewed chocolate. Amazing how they can drag a bar from the back of van all the way through a cab up into an engine.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
OK, so where are you guys storing your vans? Should I worry if it is on my drive? There is no food left in the van at any time and hopefully it is too bloody cold in the NE of Scotland for them to even want to nest in my van.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
My works van battery went flat the other day and when I opened the bonnet I found 5 bars of chewed chocolate. Amazing how they can drag a bar from the back of van all the way through a cab up into an engine.

Yeh, yeh, yeh!
It's more commonly called your secret stash!:whistle:

However, if it's not I too am gobsmacked (not smacked in the gob!(n)) at how a starter battery can drag a bar of chocolate from back to front of the van:giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
OK, so where are you guys storing your vans? Should I worry if it is on my drive? There is no food left in the van at any time and hopefully it is too bloody cold in the NE of Scotland for them to even want to nest in my van.
My garage in Aberdeenshire was regularly full of mice!!! Hence all the security!!!

I once had a mouse trapped in a wheely bin, it ate the whole top away before getting out.

TallBlonde

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Searching, searching ...
Exp
Complete beginner
I'm amazed that anyone could have five uneaten bars of chocolate anywhere. Respect. :coolest:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Yeh, yeh, yeh!
It's more commonly called your secret stash!:whistle:

However, if it's not I too am gobsmacked (not smacked in the gob!(n)) at how a starter battery can drag a bar of chocolate from back to front of the van:giggle:
At least I found ou
I'm amazed that anyone could have five uneaten bars of chocolate anywhere. Respect. :coolest:
Lol I fill vending machines do my vans full of goodies.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Mine is ready . It has been for nearly a month now! But I'm afraid not a lot of living creatures can't get in!
Black pepper along the walls, essential oils of : citronella, mint, peppermint, sage, eucalyptus, lavender, camphor. A few drops of each a bit everywhere. All accesses to the habitation have been made difficult. Engine has pepper, and red pimento all over the place. Heater breathing holes underneath have been obstructed with a thin and long piece of wood.

You're warned! lol!
I've made my van the most unfriendly to the little devils. I just hope they won't be too cold to give it a go whatever smell is on their way!

Wondered where that fragrance was coming from when I was recently on the Toulouse ring road.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
@
I have found my electronic repeller to be pretty good. Haven't caught any mice with it on, caught loads before. It is a German marten repeller, runs on 12v and mine is permanently wired in. The solar panels keep the batteries charged.
@Reallyretired could you supply a bit more info around your repeller please!
Cheers.

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It's pretty rural here and I've never had a problem with rodents in a van (fingers crossed)...
I shall be putting tumble drier sheets in all the cupboards and around the interior - well... it can't hurt can it, and, if nothing else, it will smell nice - externally, I shall be expecting some 'pay back' from all the local moggies who have used my front garden all summer! :wondering:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
My van lives at my Mother & Sisters house, my sister has recently gone quite mad, and after having her second child, has now received her "mad cat lady starter kit", the van is even safer this year. Last year it was just the neighbourhood cats that dropped by :D

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We will be using it all year round so we will just have to keep a eye out for them
bill

petrocspals

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
4 years
We had masses of "critters" mining up our walls , the cavity wall insulation etc. Sharpening their teeth on wires in the loft, as we are rural we also had rats in the shed etc. I was listeninging to a discussion on the radio and a farmer from Somerset phoned in recommending the method he uses for his very expensive combine harvesters.....he puts tablets of Irish spring deodorant soap in all vulnerable places. Scoff if you like but it has worked for me......they hate the smell....so do I but it has kept us clear.It's quite cheap via amazon. Good luck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back