its getting near rodent winter nesting time

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by campa cola, Oct 6, 2015.

1. campa cola

campa cola Funster

Its getting to that time of year, when the expensive furry bundles of fun are looking for a nice cozy motorhome to winter up in and deposit constant streams of urine on your soft furnishings, poop prion infested poop on everything and eat up anything that makes a nice nest. (including wiring).

Time to put in the traps and poison.....anything else and you are risking an expensive repair.....you have been warned (y);)

• Like Like x 4
  2. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Are you saying I'm not welcome in your van?

• Like Like x 8
  3. Freespirit1

Freespirit1 Read Only Funster

Meeoww - come on in!

• Like Like x 1
  4. campa cola

campa cola Funster

5. Mel

Mel Funster

Ken(munchie) has a small anti rodent box under the front of the MH.
    He said it was very good when we where down at his French Villa.

Mel

6. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Mine is ready . It has been for nearly a month now! But I'm afraid not a lot of living creatures can't get in!
    Black pepper along the walls, essential oils of : citronella, mint, peppermint, sage, eucalyptus, lavender, camphor. A few drops of each a bit everywhere. All accesses to the habitation have been made difficult. Engine has pepper, and red pimento all over the place. Heater breathing holes underneath have been obstructed with a thin and long piece of wood.
    You're warned! lol!
    I've made my van the most unfriendly to the little devils. I just hope they won't be too cold to give it a go whatever smell is on their way!

• Like Like x 4
  7. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I've set my traps baited with nutella, hope the blighters don't mind it's 3 years past its best before date. Electronic rodent repeller on.

• Like Like x 2
  8. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

A perennial problem. My latest solution is an upturned ice cream tub with an entrance hole cut in one end. Suspended along the inside with wire is a tasteful modern art installation of bright blue chewy bait blocks, which I've called Metaphor of Doom. Wedged under a house brick by my front wheel I'm hoping it will attract small rodent art critics from all over the storage site before they consider climbing into the engine bay. I consider this to be humane killing, as they've been given free art gallery entrance prior to meeting their mousey maker.

I also laced selected parts of the engine bay with peppermint essence to disguise established urine trails, and left a back up bait block in the passenger footwell where they normally make an entrance through the soft lining behind the engine.

Obviously I've kept any potential food or nesting material well out of reach of the floor. Fortunately all the adjoining vertical surfaces are smooth.

• Like Like x 1
  9. aldhp21

aldhp21 Funster

Do the electronic repellers work? I've always just set traps but as the van is on hookup at home a plug in repeller would be a good idea.

10. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

I've had a battery repeller on for the last 3 years and it doesn't work although some people thinke they do. The past few years I've baited mouse traps with chocolate and always caught loads. However I've been thinking that maybe the smell of chocolate brings them in? So, have just removed everything that's possible, vacuumed it out and wiped all surfaces with Dettol. If there's no food or nesting material then hopefully they will move on. Fingers crossed!

11. yodeli

Yep ... thought the same , and since then never tried to put traps with food.
    But I have kept a few glass bottles I have cleaned, that I will break into little bits and stick on 2 large rubber covers (usually put in cars'boots). I want to make the access to the engine as difficult as possible. So will put the rubber covers with glass on, on the ground where the engine cover ends. Last year I have found so many rats poos and wees there, as well empty snails shells (rats love them), that I knew which way they were going to go into the van.

• Like Like x 2
  12. yodeli

I've heard lots of negative comments about those. Either they are not set properly, or the rodents just get used to them. I would not spend any money on those. On the other hand , having never used them, I don't have any self experience of their effectiveness

13. Popeye

Popeye Funster

My eldest lad has had Rats move into an extension he is building, one of his two dogs is fairly effective, he has caught more on the sticky Pads than in any of the traps. One rat was managing to walk clumsily away with an A4 size mat stuck to his right front leg, needless to say he couldn't get down his bolt hole fast enough to avoid the dog.

14. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I have found my electronic repeller to be pretty good. Haven't caught any mice with it on, caught loads before. It is a German marten repeller, runs on 12v and mine is permanently wired in. The solar panels keep the batteries charged.

15. TallBlonde

TallBlonde

Metaphor of Doom has given me the right giggles. Perhaps you could pass your installation on to Dismaland when the exhibition closes?

• Like Like x 1
  16. TallBlonde

TallBlonde

But jeez, here's another thing I didn't realised I'd have to prepare for as I contemplate the purchase of a MH. I thought it was all about packing up your shorts, swimmers and a few bottles of wine, then singing 'I love to go a-wandering' along the highways and by-ways.

• Like Like x 4
  17. jetlag03

jetlag03 Funster

We have a semi wild cat ... she feeds herself most of the time and hoping she will eat any offenders who come close. Cos of the cat can't use poisons, even out of her way, if the mouse/rat has a nibble of the poison but does not die quickly, and normally it's not so, it way wander poisoned into the path of moggie

18. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

[​IMG]
    "The vans are alive... with the sound of squeeking, scratching, gnawing, pooing, weeing, breeding..."

• Like Like x 5
  19. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

We must have been lucky for last 7 yrs :) When we lived in S.Wales we were close to a farm and Llantrisant Common,we had stone walls and some stone walled flower beds in which we had seen rats and mice.In fact it was not unusal to have a small brown mouse scuttle across lounge floor.
    But,we never had any signs of mice or rats in van,which was parked alongside a stone wall.
    Here in Worle we are close to fields and a river,so I'll keep close eye on things.

20. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Cheery thread of the day ????

• Like Like x 4