Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
image.jpg

Not sure what the two blobs are for but the clip was in the middle of them.

image.jpg

Top catch

image.jpg

The bit wot fell orft!

There was an unusual clunk from the rear of Mo, not the usual drawer not locked, cupboard door swinging open :whistle:
Upon investigation it had fell off :eek:

No not that, the catch that holds the glass drop down door under the oven!

Now the question is before I go and spend a massive amount of money on a tube of something that I need very little of, what's the best thing to use as it's plastic to glass and my usual response of big nail or screw won't do. (n)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Pics dont really help....too close to figure it out.
i think the plastic hook/clip is coincidence and shouldnt have been in there anyway.
it cant be screwed to the glass and theres no catch on the glass for it to hook onto.

Looking at the two blobs of, presumably silicon, have been holding the door closed...sticking to some part of the cupboard.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
If its plastic to glass why not try the stuff that's used to stick back interior mirrors to windscreens?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
The door was being held closed by one of these.

Broken Link Removed

You can see the metal bit sticking out of the slot above the heater. The hot melt glue was probably what was holding the plastic section to the door.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Its all well and good sticking it on but what part slides to allow it to grip the plastic part ?

Whatever it is it has to slide to allow its lever/bar to engage in the formed slot in the piece.

Still say it shouldnt be there.

Its like glueing a towel hook base without a hook.

Surely im not the only one that can see this.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The door was being held open by one of these.

Broken Link Removed

You can see the metal bit sticking out of the slot above the heater. The hot melt glue was probably what was holding the plastic section to the door.
Now if the op had said that in the first place it would have made all the difference.

The glue blobs still dont correspond with the plastic....the op said it was between the blobs.

OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Pics dont really help....too close to figure it out.
i think the plastic hook/clip is coincidence and shouldnt have been in there anyway.
it cant be screwed to the glass and theres no catch on the glass for it to hook onto.

Looking at the two blobs of, presumably silicon, have been holding the door closed...sticking to some part of the cupboard.
No your wrong, the white plastic clip was glued to the glass and worked perfectly till it fell off. My question is what glue would people suggest.

OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If its plastic to glass why not try the stuff that's used to stick back interior mirrors to windscreens?
That's a good idea, but what's it called I wonder, glue that sticks mirrors back on doesn't ring a bell :D

Mmmmmm, wonder if a call into Autoglass for a quick squirt from their tube might be an idea?

OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Its all well and good sticking it on but what part slides to allow it to grip the plastic part ?

Whatever it is it has to slide to allow its lever/bar to engage in the formed slot in the piece.

Yes you are, that's how it has worked for eleven years it's just the glue has given up.

OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The door was being held closed by one of these.

Broken Link Removed

Yes that's the one exactly, but instead of the white clip being screwed on it was stuck to the glass.(y)

OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I don't own a hot glue gun but I like the sticky mirror idea. I may call in and ask what they use.

Thanks for the ideas guys.(y)

OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Here we go, thanks to Bolton Safety Glass a very old notloB company. Told them what I needed and was given the glue below, wouldn't take payment so I left him some money to get himself a pint tonight. Happy Badknee :)
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If anyone else need something sticking to something else give me a shout, there's going to be loads left.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

I have the same catches and white bit on my van, yes they are a pair. The catch is spring loaded, push to close and push again to open, the white catch does not slide but must be located correctly or the door will not lock or will lock but not open. Good luck getting it right.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Almost nothing will stick to the existing area if those two blobs are silicone. My fix: attach the plastic latch part to a small square of aluminium using CSK screws/nuts. Glue the aluminium to the glass with silicone. A certain, permanent, fix.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back