It's all kicking off in France!! (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
But,but youmuststay on aires evenif they are more expensive than sites.

Don't you realise that to be a proper Motorhomer you must rough it?

Clueless::bigsmile:

Excuse Me Your Honour...

I object.

Stopping on an "aire" where there is a charge is not "roughing it".

Don't go on the path... go where there is no path and leave a trail... (I don't mean a trail of grey water but if you must, you must).

JJ :Cool:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
G'ud morning Neighbour ! greetings from Severac-le-Chateau making for Clermont-Ferrand tomorrow heading home slowly towards Ypres.

Gosh what a small world. I was in Rodez only a week ago. Not very far from where you are now:Cool:

While I was in Cahors (a couple of days ago) a guy called at the van for a chat - he was from Denbigh! :whatthe:

Have a safe journey back north.:thumb:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Fun day today

Left Chambon sur Lac this morn heading in general direction of Calais ::bigsmile:
All went well until we got to Claremont Ferrand-s at nav had hissy fit and we got totally
'lost' in the end took Paris road and did our first bit of peage on this trip.Pulled off at an Aire de repose after an hour and and found an Aire de Camping car at Rogny Les Sept Ecluses a couple of hundred k down the road and in right direction.
Stopped at Super U about 50k from Rogny to do shopping-Sat Nav failed to wake up when we wanted to go :cry: Had to resort to Map !.Finall got to Rogny-the Aire was full,so we ended up in Municipal campsite. for €9.20-a result :thumb:
Sat Nav came alive again as we got on pitch-it will have to go !!
Now for a Ceasar salad and a bottle of Sancerre ::bigsmile:

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Left Chambon sur Lac this morn heading in general direction of Calais ::bigsmile:
All went well until we got to Claremont Ferrand-s at nav had hissy fit and we got totally
'lost' in the end took Paris road and did our first bit of peage on this trip.Pulled off at an Aire de repose after an hour and and found an Aire de Camping car at Rogny Les Sept Ecluses a couple of hundred k down the road and in right direction.
Stopped at Super U about 50k from Rogny to do shopping-Sat Nav failed to wake up when we wanted to go :cry: Had to resort to Map !.Finall got to Rogny-the Aire was full,so we ended up in Municipal campsite. for €9.20-a result :thumb:
Sat Nav came alive again as we got on pitch-it will have to go !!
Now for a Ceasar salad and a [HI]bottle of Sancerre[/HI] ::bigsmile:

Mike

Just one?::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
We are still at Saint Jean de Luz. Blimey it's hilly round here, finally got defeated by a hill today that was so steep that when I got off and tried to push my bike I had to go on tip toe. Mind you just think how fit I am going to end up with all this cycling....could be time to enter the TDF :ROFLMAO:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I'm at Monbazillac to overnight near to the airport ready to pick up my passenger. It's back to Rocamadour followed by some canoeing, then hopefully meet up with Lunarman and on to the Le Mans' classic.:thumb:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We are now at Charly-sur-Marne (Champagne lol) after visiting Barbazon famous for hosting pre-impressionist painters like Corot and Millais-was fascinating to see their 'doodles' on walls of the rooms in the Auberge they used to frequent.

Mike

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
While at Rocamadour on Saturday I was surprised to bump into a German ACSI inspection team. Strangely enough they didn't camp there:Doh:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Just had the pleasure of parking next to Encantador and his good lady.:thumb: This world is definitely getting smaller.::bigsmile:

I hope to meet up with Lunarman and Lunarwoman:)BigGrin:) tomorrow:thumb:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Finally met up with John & Ang. :thumb:Afternoon around the pool then a few glasses of wine.:Cool: What a bad influence these two are!:winky:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
We finally escaped the clutches and bad influence of Taran_Las we were up early and got away before he had chance to crawl out of his slumbers and trap us for another day. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We are now in the municipal site in Chateaudun. 9€50 a night including electric and free wifi great value.

Lunarman

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I had to pretend to be asleep while I waited for John & Ang to go.::bigsmile:::bigsmile: Rather difficult when you're as energetic as I. :Eeek:
Now in a free aire at Fontevraud-L'abbaye. The abbey is a wonderful place if you're a history lover.:thumb:

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
We are still at St Jean de Luz so we decided to pop in to Spain on the train (like you do!!) We went to San Sebastian and it was a great day out. Had my first tapas lunch which was cool, a very lovely day, gorgeous weather and some stunning scenery finished off by a lovely bottle of wine when we got back tonight!! :thumb:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Last time I was in San Sebastian I failed to notice any sign of a recession. What's it like now?

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Last time I was in San Sebastian I failed to notice any sign of a recession. What's it like now?

It looked like a lot of money has been invested there as it was all very new and clean looking as you walked round to the seafront from the bay below where the statue is. There were a lot of people but it didn't feel crowded. We loved it and would definitely go back and spend more time there. :thumb:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
The designer shops (a couple of streets back from the promenade) seemed sufficiently busy to stay afloat.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

My recent experience of Spain suggests the north and east of the country are doing OK although there were signs of hardship in Santander - beggers and numerous lottery ticket sellers including unlicenced ones the police were cracking down on.

I suspect things are different further west in places like the Extremadura. Will be going there in September so will see first hand.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Currently at the aire in the centre of Blois. It's pouring down due to a humdinger of a storm right above my van:cry:

It's less than 20°C today (bloody freezin') - if it gets any colder the Eberspatcher and fleece jacket will have to go on:whatthe:

6 British plated vans here.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
would this happen in uk ?

Sitting having moules frite and a pichet of rose at a beach restaurant in Wimereux,I noticed that the table next to me were brought a bottle of red wine in a cooler.
About an hour later they ordered a half bottle of the same-we had just ordered an 'assiette de fromage' so I asked the waitress what was the red wine the other table had
(I thought it might complement our cheese ::bigsmile:) she showed me the empty bottle,it was a Pinot Noir,then,the guy at the table asked me if I'd like to taste it :thumb:
It was superb ::bigsmile: so I ordered a half bottle.
It went well with our cheese and we thoroughly enjoyed it-which was good because when I got the bill it was €16 for half bottle :ROFLMAO:
Would anyone in a uk restaurant ask if you'd like to taste their wine? I very much doubt it-Vive La France.

Mike

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Currently at the aire in the centre of Blois. It's pouring down due to a humdinger of a storm right above my van:cry:

It's less than 20°C today (bloody freezin') - if it gets any colder the Eberspatcher and fleece jacket will have to go on:whatthe:

6 British plated vans here.

We have had a lovely hot, albeit cloudy, day and suddenly about an hour ago the wind started blowing a gale. Everyone was dashing around trying to get their awnings in. I was pleased as we had washed the sheets and towels today and they are now spinning round on the rotary line like a spin dryer. Glynn has anchored it down with 4 tent pegs but I am still not convinced it isn't about to take off and land on next door's pitch :ROFLMAO: There is definitely a hint of rain in the clouds but hopefully with this wind it will blow over before it falls on us. :thumb:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Punctures on bicycles

Just read your blog (Coolbeanz) and see that you've had a few punctures.You cover far more miles than we ever do,but,2 yrs ago in Spain we were plagued by punctures,so,when we got home I invested in Schwalbe Marathon tyres fitted with Slime filled inner tubes.No more punctures :thumb: I've also fitted them on my Fixie as they do most sizes (fixie uses 28mm)
Hope this is some help ::bigsmile:
Mike

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Just read your blog (Coolbeanz) and see that you've had a few punctures.You cover far more miles than we ever do,but,2 yrs ago in Spain we were plagued by punctures,so,when we got home I invested in Schwalbe Marathon tyres fitted with Slime filled inner tubes.No more punctures :thumb: I've also fitted them on my Fixie as they do most sizes (fixie uses 28mm)
Hope this is some help ::bigsmile:
Mike

For some reason it is only Glynn that gets punctures so I take the p*ss out of him saying its because he's too heavy!! :ROFLMAO: Hopefully he won't read this post but my son has sent us some special heavy duty puncture proof inner tubes as a birthday present for Glynn (his birthday is 14th August but at this rate he will have to have an early birthday present!!) :thumb:

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Taran Las we now have rain showers so the wind clearly wasn't strong enough to blow it past us. I have rescued the washing though so that's okay!! ::bigsmile:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Coolbeanz

Heard the saying "The sun shines on the righteous"?

If it's true, I don't know what that makes me:roflmto:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
The sun is coming out to play now and again. :eek: Perhaps I'm becoming more righteous:rolleyes:

Just wanted to test the new software(y)

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
I just listened to the Righteous Brothers on my iPod and the sun is now out and barely a cloud in sight, I wonder if there is any connection:D

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I'm about an hour and a half south east of Le Mans. In the middle of nowhere. (Banjos and teeth missing springs to mind). Next to the river Loir (notice the lack of "e" on the end of the name, they have two rivers one called Loire and one called Loir, how bloody confusing is that?) Just been to a bar where they gave me an extra beer for free because I do my best to speak French!

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
I'm about an hour and a half south east of Le Mans. In the middle of nowhere. (Banjos and teeth missing springs to mind). Next to the river Loir (notice the lack of "e" on the end of the name, they have two rivers one called Loire and one called Loir, how bloody confusing is that?) Just been to a bar where they gave me an extra beer for free because I do my best to speak French!

We are currently at Lourdes and I have never seen so many shops full of tourist tat in my life. It's like a mini Vegas here with all the neon signs for bars, hotels and souvenirs!! There are some beautiful sights but they are outnumbered by the number of outlets selling plastic containers of Lourdes water!! Sunday we move on to Cordes sur Ciel so I will finally find out if it's as good as the author of that book said!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back