It's all kicking off in France!! (1 Viewer)

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
32 degrees Young Bungy ...... you do have age on your side:Eeek:

I'm at Paradis Campeur (Le Hospitalet) €12.00 without EHU(€3.00), free good wifi, pool. Not a bad campsite at all. Filled up a lot since they knew I was 'ere::bigsmile:

I'll be back here again on the 21st June. Picking a mate up from Bergerac airport who wants to see Sarlat & Rocamadour town. :Cool:
Age AND good looks...dont forget the good looks

Thats the site weve used each time. Nice site....watch out for any aussies....nowt will keep them at bay.
The restaurant that is out of the sote and off to the left that looks over the valley is good and does a great sunset with a beer in hand....

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Age AND [HI]good looks[/HI]...dont forget the good looks

Thats the site weve used each time. Nice site....watch out for any aussies....nowt will keep them at bay.
The restaurant that is out of the sote and off to the left that looks over the valley is good and does a great sunset with a beer in hand....

Now I know you're taking the pi€€ (see how European I've become):winky:

Currently at Saint Cirq Lapopie. 32.7°C in the van with all of the windows open. This red wine stuff is doing nothing to cool me down:Doh:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
We are in a campsite in Durtal pitched right on the banks of the Loire. Rain over night cleared now bl**dy hot having to drink cold lager to cool down:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Now I know you're taking the pi€€ (see how European I've become):winky:

Currently at Saint Cirq Lapopie. 32.7°C in the van with all of the windows open. This red wine stuff is doing nothing to cool me down:Doh:

your doing the route we did last year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theres a great aire down in bouzies a mile or so west of you, down by the river, great place to get the bike out and cycle in the limestone cliffs alongside the river.

Gorgeous part of the world, if we manage to get over this year it will probably be down there along the lot

Attachments

• 20130630_202207.jpg
    20130630_202207.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 27
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
[HI]your doing the route we did last year!!!!!!!!!!!![/HI]!!!

theres a great aire down in bouzies a mile or so west of you, down by the river, great place to get the bike out and cycle in the limestone cliffs alongside the river.

Gorgeous part of the world, if we manage to get over this year it will probably be down there along the lot

Knew I got the idea from somewhere:Doh:

That's the tow path I hope to saunter along tomorrow:thumb:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
The question on everyone's lips - where is Coolbeanz now?

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
woo hoo I'm back online!! Got fed up with no wifi so I am using my mifi and Europasim today. We have spent the last 2 days parked at the Aire at Gastes and very lovely it is too. Right on the edge of the lake and a little beach and only €4.50 per night until the 16th June. We spent a couple of days at a lovely site, Panorama Du Pyla, right next to the Dune. We cycled to Arcachon and it was very nice.Trouble is we didn't realise it was a bank holiday weekend and the campsite suddenly got packed with people only intent on partying hard!! We were kept awake until 3am so I was not a happy bunny and we decided to move on:Angry: It is lovely and peaceful here with lots of fabulous cycle paths. :thumb: Did a nice ride to Biscarrosse yesterday. Now looking at the map and will be heading down to Léon next. Have met a few English couples, but no Funsters :Doh: Don't worry I am educating them when I get a chance! Where are you all now? ::bigsmile:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
For a minute I thought we'd lost you .........:winky:

For a really quite aire next to the same lake as Gastes try Ste Eulalie 3kms along the cycle path in the opposite direction to Biscarrosse. It's got good wifi too (unfortunately not free).

I left Rodez this morning, travelled over the Millau viaduct (for fun) and turned around and descended into Millau town. I am now firmly tucked up in the town's aire. €9.60 EHU, 35m2 pitches dumping facilities etc and free wifi.:thumb:

Tomorrow - not sure.:Cool:

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
For a minute I thought we'd lost you .........:winky:

For a really quite aire next to the same lake as Gastes try Ste Eulalie 3kms along the cycle path in the opposite direction to Biscarrosse. It's got good wifi too (unfortunately not free).

I left Rodez this morning, travelled over the Millau viaduct (for fun) and turned around and descended into Millau town. I am now firmly tucked up in the town's aire. €9.60 EHU, 35m2 pitches dumping facilities etc and free wifi.:thumb:

Tomorrow - not sure.:Cool:

I have just finished reading the Kindle book "Tales from the Hilltop" about a guy that worked for the summer in the area around Cordes which isn't too far from Millau. His description of the village and surrounding areas made me fall in love with the area without even seeing it so it is firmly on the agenda after we have been to Carcassonne. :thumb:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I have just finished reading the Kindle book "Tales from the Hilltop" about a guy that worked for the summer in the area around Cordes which isn't too far from Millau. His description of the village and surrounding areas made me fall in love with the area without even seeing it so it is firmly on the agenda after we have been to Carcassonne. :thumb:

When you get to Carcassone,you really should have a look at the Cathar castles-and you might find the cathar treasure,or even the Grail ::bigsmile:

Good luck,
Mike

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Coolbeanz is on the move again tomorrow after 4 days at the fabulous and cheap Les Acacias at Messanges. What a fantastic area with fab cycle routes to Vieux Boucau (not to be missed), Léon, Moliets en Maa, Soustons and the amazing beaches. Absolutely loved the area and will be back again. The campsite was only €12 with ACSI, cheaper than the local Aires!!
Tomorrow we are off to another ACSI site at St-Jean-de-Luz, 14 nights for the price of 10 so again it works out cheaper than the local Aires. Wouldn't normally consider 14 nights in 1 place but we are meeting friends in the area at the beginning of July so don't want to venture too far. Lots more cycling on the agenda ::bigsmile:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We're leaving Frankie's at Balma,Toulouse in morn and going to Cahors (The black wines of Cahors ::bigsmile:)
Sadly we are heading home now-10 days to get to Calais :cry:
Btw-I have been riding a 'Fixie' this trip,and surprised myself with the hills I've managed to get up :thumb:
Mike

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
We're leaving Frankie's at Balma,Toulouse in morn and going to Cahors (The black wines of Cahors ::bigsmile:)
Btw-I have been riding a 'Fixie' this trip,and surprised myself with the hills I've managed to get up :thumb:
Mike

Where will you be staying in Cahors Mike? I hope to get to the aire there tomorrow sometime.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Coolbeanz is on the move again tomorrow after 4 days at the fabulous and cheap Les Acacias at Messanges. What a fantastic area with fab cycle routes to Vieux Boucau (not to be missed), Léon, Moliets en Maa, Soustons and the amazing beaches. Absolutely loved the area and will be back again. The campsite was only €12 with ACSI, cheaper than the local Aires!!
Tomorrow we are off to another ACSI site at St-Jean-de-Luz, 14 nights for the price of 10 so again it works out cheaper than the local Aires. Wouldn't normally consider 14 nights in 1 place but we are meeting friends in the area at the beginning of July so don't want to venture too far. Lots more cycling on the agenda ::bigsmile:

:thumb:I love that coast!:thumb:​

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

But,but youmuststay on aires evenif they are more expensive than sites.

Don't you realise that to be a proper Motorhomer you must rough it?

Clueless::bigsmile:

Last edited:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
We are currently parked on a very large aire at Saint-Denis D'Oleron. It is a former campsite so has spaces for 160 vans and there is a small shower block. There is EHU for every pitch and at €9 per night it's not too bad. When we arrived yesterday it was 75% full but as there is a bank holiday looming vans have been streaming in all day. It has gone from a lovely spacious site to looking like an overcrowded car park. Someone just tried to squeeze in the gap between us and our neighbour and what ensued was a very heated argument with lots of shouting and gesticulating which culminated in the new van moving off to find somewhere else to park. I should probably point out that the shouting and gesticulating was from our neighbour and not from Glynn!! :ROFLMAO: I am relieved that in the morning we will be heading to a campsite near Royen for a few days. :RollEyes:

P.S. where are all the Brits? We are the only English van here :whatthe:

I'm confused about what is and what isn't an Aire. If you pay €9 a night it is just a cheap campsite?

I always think of an Aire (French for open space) as just that - an open space to camp free for the night.

I accept that there may be a charge if you wish to use an EHU or dump waste ete but to me the stopover should be otherwise free.

Is there an official definition of an Aire?

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Mike

They fascinate me, how do you stop suddenly if you need to!! I just know I would hurt myself :ROFLMAO: good on you, I bet your leg muscles have benefitted!! :thumb:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I've just spent a most enjoyable afternoon and evening with Mike & Carolyn at Cahors. I haven't seen them for over two years. This really is what FUN is all about.:thumb:

They shared with me some of the Makrouts made by Frankie......'kin delicous! Thanks Frankie!:thumb:

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
I'm confused about what is and what isn't an Aire. If you pay €9 a night it is just a cheap campsite?

I always think of an Aire (French for open space) as just that - an open space to camp free for the night.

I accept that there may be a charge if you wish to use an EHU or dump waste ete but to me the stopover should be otherwise free.

Is there an official definition of an Aire?

Aire de camping car is different from an Aire de service, such as you find on motorways or even an Aire in a village which can be a children's play area. They vary in cost, some are free. Some you can only stay 1 night, others longer. Some have no facilities and others have everything including showers. ::bigsmile:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
They fascinate me, how do you stop suddenly if you need to!! I just know I would hurt myself :ROFLMAO: good on you, I bet your leg muscles have benefitted!! :thumb:

Ah,well lol-that can be a problem,theory is that you apply brake (usually only a front brake) or brakes and resist the pedals at same time,if you see what I mean.
I am constantly alert to the risk of having to stop,and when descending never let the bike take over ::bigsmile:
I used to do Time Trials on fixed in '50's.

Mike

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
1,000 mtrs up in the Auvergne.

Nice change from the heat of Cahors yesterday ::bigsmile: We are at Chablon-sur-lac.
Pitch overlooks a lake below and mountains in front-there were still patches of snow on one of the cols we climbed to get here ::bigsmile: It's been a 'hairy' afternoons drive this afternoon-glad we are only 6mtrs long :ROFLMAO:

Mike

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Sunset in Southern Brittany

Been a lovely day here in La Turballe. This was tonights sunset 30 mins ago.

Attachments

• sunset laturballe.jpg
    sunset laturballe.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 18
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Lovely day yesterday at Monpazier, except for the thunderstorm at 21:00. It only lasted 1/2 hour but cleared the air.:thumb:

May 3, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A class Carthago Chic I47
Exp
34 years
G'ud morning Neighbour ! greetings from Severac-le-Chateau making for Clermont-Ferrand tomorrow heading home slowly towards Ypres.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back