It's all kicking off at the French Toll Booths

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by KeithChesterfield, Sep 3, 2015.

1. KeithChesterfield

KeithChesterfield Funster

A short video of a small incident at the Toll booth close to the Pont de Normandie - www.youtube.com/user/Keithchesterfield

For best quality picture click on the 'Cog', bottom right hand side of the Youtube video, and select 720pHD or 1080pHD and play full screen.

• Like Like x 4
  2. whoa

whoa Funster

Thanks for that have viewed a few of your videos, specially the going to and from France and toll booths, hopefully be there next year, would like to use the tunnel but we'll have to see how the future pans out, very informative(y):clap:

Edit: as a matter of interest, when using the tolls, have you used coins, credit or debit card, and what denomination of coins or notes are useful to have to hand

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  3. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Credit card for us most of the time - so much easier. Unless wife has a bag full of change she wants to get rid of, then I have to wait 5 minutes while she counts it all out.

We use wife's Nationwide credit card for everything abroad. No exchange charge and the rate is very good too.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. deanroofing

deanroofing Funster

Credit Card we've got the halifax clarity so no charges providing you pay it of in full each month, just bang it in the machine jobs a good un.

• Like Like x 2
  5. whoa

whoa Funster

Interesting so the next question, firstly I have a nationwide cc, so that's good to know, interesting about wanting to use up change, at what point do you know the cost, is it a case of arrive, stick a ticket in, which says you driven so far that'll be x amount of euros, I could see this being fun if many are waiting behind and it's all euro coins and cents that's going in

6. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Most booths are automatic, but some are attended. With both the amount comes up on a screen for you to see. Most require you to put the ticket in first but some don't have a ticket system and you pay a set amount. Some of the tickets have the tolls on the back, but often only for cars. Wife keeps a note of the amount each time, so when we are coming back, or going back again she knows roughly how much it is going to be.

One more thing, you will need to unlock your seat belt most of the time. They have two heights for the card input, one for cars which is too low and one for trucks which is too high. Both are a stretch. The new ones are magic though. They move up or down depending upon how high the vehicle is - normally good height then.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Treat yourself to a Sanef tag. Absolutely brilliant. No mucking about!

• Like Like x 3
  8. bertiebasset

bertiebasset Funster

Treat yourself to a satnav with "avoid tolls" as an option. We travelled down the west side of France, into Spain as far as Benidorm and then up the east side of France and only spent around 10 euros (apart from over Millau Bridge) on tolls,,, I was on holiday to 8 weeks,, what's the rush.??

• Like Like x 3
  9. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Which way did you go when South of Bordeaux now that the N10 is tolled almost all the way to the border?

10. KeithChesterfield

KeithChesterfield Funster

If you are an infrequent visitor to France and you only use the Toll roads occasionally then just have your Credit/Debit card handy and pay by that.

If you go to an attended Booth then you can pay with a note or get rid of a load of loose change when you've seen how much to pay.

Some tolls such as Pont de Normandie (€6.30) and Ile de Ré (€16) are a set figure.

Don't worry about a queue forming behind you – when Johnny Foreigner sees a Motorhome or Caravan go to a Booth they all go into a different lane as they seem to think there will be a delay.

• Like Like x 1
  11. whoa

whoa Funster

@peterc10

I did notice on of Keith's going to the tolls, that I saw one with car and truck height, so at least I got that right, but thanks for the info about seat belts, but the moving up and down sounds interesting, I know what I'm asking is well before we go, we are hoping to have 2 trips next year, well that's the plan, in June and September , again hopefully for both each full month, so I try and soak in as much information as I can, and no doubt forget it...Doh!

• Like Like x 1
  12. bertiebasset

bertiebasset Funster

We left the Twin Lakes rally and went south on the AutoRoute past Bordeaux (cost 5.80ish on one section) then up to Oleron for the night in the Aires, then Somport Tunnel, south past Zaragoza to Valencia,, mostly Autovia in spain but the route over the Pyrenees was slow going,,, hey ho,, 7 weeks to go so no hurry.
    Hope that answers your query

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

€10 Ouch! That's more than I have spent on French tolls in the last 8 years & we go to or through France at least twice a year.:)

14. bertiebasset

bertiebasset Funster

Yes Lennyhb but there are times when coming off and doing an extra 40 miles to save 5 or so euros is illogical even when fuel is only 1.07 a litre and exchange rate is 1.41

• Like Like x 1
  15. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Ahhh now I understand. We were heading for Portugal so the Somport Tunnel route was well out of our way, and roads not brilliant.

16. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Didn't you notice there was a smiley at the end?