LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
In Luzern, are there any reasons why you picked the International Lido site?

If we followed this route we would be more likely to get a morning ferry having stayed the night at Canterbury CCS and pitch up en route to Metz, probably around Valenciennes or Maubeuge. Pat's not keen on the idea of crashing out in a car park (and I suppose, neither am I really).
John

The only reason for Camping International is we stopped there last year and got good service including the loan of the odd Swiss hook-up adaptor. It's an easy walk to town, so I can suggest it with confidence ( keeping fingers crossed that there are no gypsies partying all night ).

The beauty of this is we all do what we please, you'd do us a favour checking out the cheaper sites and we can compare notes later. But I'll have a look at the ones you suggest in a minute.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Italy!!!

I'm happy with early monday morning ferry - what time do you call early. We used to catch the 5.55 am!! :Eeek:

If early, is anyone parking up Sunday night somewhere near Dover?

As I have to be back at work on Monday 24th May, I may get a saturday evening ferry back on the 22nd. Would I have to book the sites to park on the return journey that time of year, as it will probably just be overnighters to get back to Calais?

Brian - Thanks for all your help on this. getting fed up with the cold already, and it hasn't even started yet :Doh:

Any other inexperienced motorhomers going??
(now where did I put that sat nav :ROFLMAO: )

Looking forward,
S.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We would like to join the funster's on this great trip also, could you put our names down provisionally and we will confirm later in Jan please!

ps just bought the Autoroute from Ebay - thanks for the pointer to it :thumb:

You're on the list - no obligation whatsoever - either way - I'm just saying what we want do and if others tag along that's brilliant. Though I am sticking to a route that I know worked for us last year and should not disappoint.

You can't regret buying Autoroute, it's the one program Bill Gates has not manage to ruin, it's nice and easy to use and does what it says on the tin.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
I'm happy with early monday morning ferry - what time do you call early. We used to catch the 5.55 am!! :Eeek:

As I have to be back at work on Monday 24th May, I may get a saturday evening ferry back on the 22nd. Would I have to book the sites to park on the return journey that time of year, as it will probably just be overnighters to get back to Calais?

Brian - Thanks for all your help on this. getting fed up with the cold already, and it hasn't even started yet :Doh:

Any other inexperienced motorhomers going??
(now where did I put that sat nav :ROFLMAO: )

Looking forward,
S.

:Eeek: indeed.
That's not early. That's yesterday!!!!:Doh:

John

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Looking forward,
S.

Brisey's late afternoon Monday is looking good now, I've just got a return price of under £100 from Sea France based on 18:30 Monday, but I've not booked yet.

The Metz stop will get you back without booking. Luzern almost certainly will, but we can ask on the way out. So you'd leave Italy Thursday, Thu night Luzern Switzerland, Fri night Metz France and Sat Dover England -- you'll qualify as an honorary Amurhican.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
The italian Job

Amurhican ?????

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
The italian Job

Not the hills and the valeeeeeeees??? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

S.

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Hi Brian

Our thoughts are for an evening ferry (7 - 8pm) on Mon 10th
Overnight at Calais, using the Sans Billet area within the port.
Up bright and early on the morning of Tuesday 11th for the drive to Metz
Just a suggestion, quite happy to fit in with others.

Brisey
WE are happy with the idea of the night in Calais terminal, Brian. We have stayed in this terminal area in November and May last year and it was quiet and safe. Easy to set off early in the morning for Metz.
Where do we get the ACSI book from, Vicarious books on the fun site?
Can I load the route download onto TomTom as we don't have Autoroute. I'm not technical and haven't got TomTom or mobile internet compatible?

Hope the doctor visit was successful. We are 15 miles south of Manchester if you need support.
Yes thank you for that, Brian it went well. haven't been on the site for a few days, as we have been sorting out the house and town hall after our anniversary dance and party, as well as mum.
I'm so looking forward to the sun,journey though ending with a glass of wine with the funsters !

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Easy to set off early in the morning for Metz.
Where do we get the ACSI book from, Vicarious books on the fun site?
Can I load the route download onto TomTom as we don't have Autoroute. I'm not technical and haven't got TomTom or mobile internet compatible?

Yes Vicarious seem to be the UK agent and they give good service.

Map - Plan B - maybe it should be Plan A.

Go to Google Maps - type in 3 names - Calais, Luzern and Peschiera del Garda and BINGO it's the same route that Autoroute gives. I've never tried this before. It's very good if you are on broadband.

TT, do the same and it will get you to the sites if you get lost. I'll definitely be using the GPS for Metz. Luzern is easy enough, drive round the top of the lake and look for signs for Lido or Motor Museum.

200 yards from your pitch:
Link Removed

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi if you book with Sea France make sure you use a credit card, not a debit card as theirs rumours they are in financial trouble and may be going in to administration.

This is from outandabout, and is the reply one of the posters got while making a booking.

"We're all hoping we'll still be here, but I understand that if the worst comes to the worst there's a company standing by to take over the sailings."

Would they honour existing bookings?

Olley

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The Metz stop will get you back without booking. Luzern almost certainly will, but we can ask on the way out. So you'd leave Italy Thursday, Thu night Luzern Switzerland, Fri night Metz France and Sat Dover England -- you'll qualify as an honorary Amurhican.

Exactly what we did on our return from Garda last year. Camping International Lido’s is nothing special, but its best asset is its situation. Across the road from the lovely lido complex and there is a pier next to it with regular boats into town if you don’t fancy walking/cycling, It is a beautiful spot. Metz we stayed on the municipal which has the Aire next door it was approx 12-14 euro and a lovely spot on the river toilet block a bit shabby but site OK<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Last edited:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi if you book with Sea France make sure you use a credit card, not a debit card as theirs rumours they are in financial trouble and may be going in to administration.

This is from outandabout, and is the reply one of the posters got while making a booking.

"We're all hoping we'll still be here, but I understand that if the worst comes to the worst there's a company standing by to take over the sailings."

Would they honour existing bookings?

Olley

Thanks for the "heads up" Olley:thumb:
Perhaps for added protection a booking through the CC or C&CC using a credit card may be advisable.:winky:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Olley

I hope they survive, competition is good for *us*. And we've had good service in our limited MH career.

daps

Free Member
May 24, 2009
Cambridgeshire. UK
Funster No
Exp
A few Months
We would love to come. Would this be suitable for a first timer abroad with a vehicle.
Also with the wife disabled and very limited walking ability (able to squeeze a wheelchair in the van) would it be suitable.
Regards

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Exactly what we did on our return from Garda last year.<o:p></o:p>

Your suggestion of routing Lille, Namur, Luxembourg - it's years since we went through Luxembourg and that was on a bike, so what's it like now for a MH and is the fuel readily available ? It looks like tolls to Metz are about €50 so toll free buys a whole lot of good wine.

It's 265 miles to Luxembourg so a good time for a fill.

France 1.12 * 65 = €73 Luxembourg 0.86 * 65 = €56 so a potential saving of about €60 with the tolls. What does the team think ?????

Going your way adds 30 miles to Metz 321 miles. That does not bother me. I don't know about others. I can remember it being a bit slow through Lille some time in the past.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
No problems here Brian, we are happy to go either route.:thumb: The savings could be useful later on in the trip.:winky: We can always leave Calais 30 minutes earlier if time becomes a problem.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
No problems here Brian, we are happy to go either route.:thumb: The savings could be useful later on in the trip.:winky: We can always leave Calais 30 minutes earlier if time becomes a problem.::bigsmile:

That's easily sorted then, just stick Namur in under Calais and it comes up with what looks like the right route.

Makes sense, quick test here:
Link Removed
Says €80 fuel, €50 tolls to Metz, the French certainly know how to make a journey much more expensive.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
The Italian Job

We would love to come. Would this be suitable for a first timer abroad with a vehicle.
Also with the wife disabled and very limited walking ability (able to squeeze a wheelchair in the van) would it be suitable.
Regards

Hi, It will be my first time abroad in m/h as well -
Should be a laugh if nothing else:ROFLMAO:
Did a 14 day driving holiday with 11 others a couple of years ago - all in low slung cars. One of the wives was permanently in a wheelchair, and all 11 different hotels didnt have lifts, so we all assisted between us, and a good time was had by one and all. You only live once ::bigsmile:
S.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Regards

First timer abroad is no problem, we've all been there once.

Limited walking, with wheelchair. Why not. Camping Butterfly has good hard roads and I'd take a guess at 200 yards to the edge of the lake which will gladden any heart. Luzern is similar though it might be a bit further to a view to die for, more spectacular than Garda. She does not need to get out in Metz.

It gets worse after Garda, sites are a bit unknown, you might consider following Sue home.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Your suggestion of routing Lille, Namur, Luxembourg - it's years since we went through Luxembourg and that was on a bike, so what's it like now for a MH and is the fuel readily available ? It looks like tolls to Metz are about €50 so toll free buys a whole lot of good wine.

It's 265 miles to Luxembourg so a good time for a fill.

France 1.12 * 65 = €73 Luxembourg 0.86 * 65 = €56 so a potential saving of about €60 with the tolls. What does the team think ?????

Going your way adds 30 miles to Metz 321 miles. That does not bother me. I don't know about others. I can remember it being a bit slow through Lille some time in the past.

was 84 cents a litre in Luxembourg. trick is to avoid the motorway que for fuel (probably not a problem outside of the summer though) and pull of at "Bettemburg" and there are a couple of stations there.

I would stay on motorway all the way and head for Strasbourg. there are only 2 tolls to pay approx 15 euro in total. and its a lot quicker then on your route, but it is scenic your way if you have the time.... These are the only tolls all route, until swiss vigennette and you hit Italy, but these are good value compared to France....

For those who need to take it slower or faster! "Obernai" has a nice municipal and there are Aires at Colmer as well others in Alsace region before you get to Basel

Last edited:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
The Italian Job

Discounted ferry fares-must be book by end 18 oct 09

Hi, dont know if it is worth booking up ferry yet? see previous posting on forum under community news. S.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Discounted ferry fares-must be book by end 18 oct 09

Hi, dont know if it is worth booking up ferry yet? see previous posting on forum under community news. S.

It's a bit too soon for me and I don't want to jump in now, changing plans and getting it wrong.

Dunkerque is good for the Lille/Luxembourge route. If you are feeling adventurous you could have an extra day or so there, there are campsites between there and Calais, we stopped at one at Oye Plage just behind the sand dunes and we also saw someone wild camping there on a big car park like inlet.

Or *really* adventurous and meet us in Luzern.

bauldy

Free Member
May 13, 2009
bedworth
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
6 years
Hi

We would be interested in doing this trip, as we are not seasoned foreign travellers we could gain experience from this trip.
We were looking to book the 13th - 31st off work catching the ferry early wednesday morning.
Please keep us imformed.

Thanks Chris and Brenda

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
This Norfolk line deal is a steal! booked 2 today and a return in May is £52 (7m L 2.9 H)

The fare is amendable for free...So crazy not to book IMO.

with seafrance going under fares will probably rise next year:cry:

bauldy

Free Member
May 13, 2009
bedworth
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
6 years
I have looked at booking through the caravan club and we are getting a quote of £48 with norfolk line.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We would be interested in doing this trip, as we are not seasoned foreign travellers we could gain experience from this trip.
We were looking to book the 13th - 31st off work catching the ferry early wednesday morning.
Please keep us imformed.

Thanks Chris and Brenda

Are we on the right month here ? 13th May is a Thursday.
So far we seem to be up for:
<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/BRIANH%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"MS Mincho"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-alt:"MS 明朝"; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:eek:ther; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@MS Mincho"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:eek:ther; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0mm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p.MsoPlainText, li.MsoPlainText, div.MsoPlainText {margin:0mm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Courier New"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> 10 Mon Dover for ferry, Calais overnight<o:p></o:p>
11 Tue Calais to Metz 290mls ( or 320 via Lille )<o:p></o:p>
12 Wed Metz to Luzern 518total/228day<o:p></o:p>
13 Thu Luzern sightsee. <o:p></o:p>
14 Fri Luzern to Garda1 748/230<o:p></o:p>
[FONT=&quot]15 Sat [/FONT]

You are more than welcome but can you manage these dates ?

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This Norfolk line deal is a steal! booked 2 today and a return in May is £52 (7m L 2.9 H)

The fare is amendable for free...So crazy not to book IMO.

with seafrance going under fares will probably rise next year:cry:

Nothing like that price for a proper height MH :winky: and that's 3.1m.

There is a real cheat trap - google Norfolk Line and the first hit is something like NorfolkLineTickets this has no discount code and a return of £164.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Nothing like that price for a proper height MH :winky: and that's 3.1m.

There is a real cheat trap - google Norfolk Line and the first hit is something like NorfolkLineTickets this has no discount code and a return of £164.

the online form says "over 2.4" so your would be the same price as mine?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back