Italy/Greece ferry advice please! (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Hi All,
We're planning a trip down into Italy and across to Greece to spend a few weeks around the Peloponnese.
We intend crossing to Greece about mid June and coming back to Italy early July.

Does anyone have any advice/experience please on ferry routes - Ancona/Brindisi to Patras.
e.g. Cost, time, convenience, booking companies.
I can see from the Minion website that a 25% early booking discount applies for bookings made before 20th Jan.

Many thanks
John and Diane :Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Take care with those Greek ferries.
Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 26, 2010
Funster No
MH
Pilote reference 670
Exp
20 years
There is a Greek ferry travel company in london who we were recomended to use. We have used 3 times and they have been great. Via Mare. Don't forget to ask for camping on board ,always cheaper

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Have done the Italy to Greece ferries many times but we always disembark at Igoumenitsa due to it being better for the dogs. Have a look at Superfast and camping on board. This is a great service which means you can sleep in your motorhome, have EHU and access to good showers/toilets plus be able to use all the facilities on board as well. We love this way of travelling and if you are taking your dog then it's much more comfortable for them.
We will be doing this again in March/April this year and will definitely be travelling Superfast/camping on board.
Also if you have the time, take a look at the Pelion area around Volos - lovely!
Good luck and have a safe, enjoyable journey.:Smile:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Have a look at costs. I thought the Brindisi ferry would be a lot cheaper but when I looked online it wasn't much cheaper than leaving from much further north and it certainly didn't make economic sense, on the prices I saw, to drive all the way down to the bottom of Italy.

Of course prices will vary and some of the websites are a struggle to use, especially the Greek ones, so I probably didn't see the best deals.

Greenacres

Free Member
Jan 10, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van t620
Exp
13 years since retirement and many younger years as a Hippy in a VW conversion, roaming the Greek Is
Italy Greece ferries

Venice to Patras. Camping on board. €700 return. Expensive but worth it for amazing views of Venice.

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
There is a Greek ferry travel company in london who we were recomended to use. We have used 3 times and they have been great. Via Mare. Don't forget to ask for camping on board ,always cheaper

Hi, Many thanks for that, we'll have a look at them.
I've been on the Greek ferry websites but they're not the easiest to 'navigate'! Tried booking a 'DECK' option for the 'van but Minion website won't accept this option - annoying!
I'll try your London company. :thumb:

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Have done the Italy to Greece ferries many times but we always disembark at Igoumenitsa due to it being better for the dogs. Have a look at Superfast and camping on board. This is a great service which means you can sleep in your motorhome, have EHU and access to good showers/toilets plus be able to use all the facilities on board as well. We love this way of travelling and if you are taking your dog then it's much more comfortable for them.
We will be doing this again in March/April this year and will definitely be travelling Superfast/camping on board.
Also if you have the time, take a look at the Pelion area around Volos - lovely!
Good luck and have a safe, enjoyable journey.:Smile:

Cheers Dudes!
Thank you for this information., we'll have a look at the Igoumenitsa option - presumably being a little father North it's slightly less expensive. Have tried (unsuccessfully at the moment) to book a Deck option with Minion ferries.
Is 'Superfast' the name of the ferry company you use?
John and Diane

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Have a look at costs. I thought the Brindisi ferry would be a lot cheaper but when I looked online it wasn't much cheaper than leaving from much further north and it certainly didn't make economic sense, on the prices I saw, to drive all the way down to the bottom of Italy.

Of course prices will vary and some of the websites are a struggle to use, especially the Greek ones, so I probably didn't see the best deals.

Thanks Mr Devonbeekeeper,
I had actually considered driving on to Brindisi for exactly the reasons you mention - I'll have a rethink! Annoyingly the Brindisi schedules and prices aren't yet published on-line for 2014 so I can't do any price comparison.
I had thought of maybe coming back that way - just to enjoy the scenery on the Italian East coast, presumably it's worth seeing?

Cheers
John and Diane:Cool:

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
I can also endorse Viamare Travel, they organised a trip to Greece for us. 20 bikes, 28 people, not all travelling together. Ferries and Motorrail, the only hiccup was one ferry caught fire. Greek or Italian ferry companies are always a pain to deal with direct.

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
What an exercise in seamanship - still they have been doing it for thousands of years, more of a seafaring nation than us even! :thumb:

Catherine

Makes my meagre attempts at berthing a yacht on our Flotilla sailing adventures in the Greek island kids play - wonder if the language on the 'bridge' was just as 'varied' though!! :Eeek:

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
I can also endorse Viamare Travel, they organised a trip to Greece for us. 20 bikes, 28 people, not all travelling together. Ferries and Motorrail, the only hiccup was one ferry caught fire. Greek or Italian ferry companies are always a pain to deal with direct.

Thanks Electraglide - I (already) agree with your sentiments about Greek ferry websites, although I have found a lady called Katerina at Patras Travel very helpful via email!
:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back