Italy and the Amalfi Coast

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by 25kilg, Aug 7, 2015.

1. 25kilg

25kilg Funster

Hi : we are due to go to Ravello on the Amalfi/Sorrento coast next month and cant seem to find any nearby sites.(i.e. within 15km) Our Van is 7.6m long. I understand the roads are difficult and the towns nearby are perched on hilltops. We plan to attend a wedding in Ravello and book hotel for that night leaving the van sited as near as possible, carting our luggage by public transport.---and then meander home. We have travelled in N Italy before but don't know anything about the South.
    Anyone been to this part of Italy and can suggest sosta or site ?
    Thanks Mike&Sue

2. webby1

webby1 Funster

Now we were there earlier this year and I would not dream of travelling that coastal road and I believe motorhomes are banned from it during the peak season.

We stayed at Pompeii.............Camping Zeus is right next to the station and there are regular trains to Sorrento and then a bus to Amalfi.

There are probably sites in Sorrento but Zeus is also next to the Pompeii excavations and you can catch a bus to the top of Vesuvius (almost)

3. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

http://www.nubedargento.com/en/ is a terraced Campsite in Sorrento with MH sized pitches - its driveway is a bit steep and winding (if coming from Naples you have to drive past the entrance, turn round at a wide road junction further along and approach it from the same side of the road) but we had no trouble in a 7m MH.

Having once taken a coach trip from a Sorrento hotel along the Amalfi coast road I'd have some serious doubts about trying it in a MH, not least the hazard from overhanging balconies in the quaint villages. I've done plenty of hairpin bends in the Alps, but the Amalfi coast is very busy, the road is steep, winding, and restricted in places, there's bugger all parking or turning spaces if you go wrong, and the majority of drivers around there are Italian.

There's a local bus service from near the railway station in Sorrento that takes you to the Amalfi coast villages like Positano, Amalfi, Ravello etc. I'm convinced the drivers are all convicted criminals who have their sentences halved if they agree to spend the time driving a bus on the Amalfi Coast. Most prefer to spend twice the time in prison. :)

There's also numerous ferries plying their trade along that bit of coast. Last time we were there we took the bus to Positano and the ferry back to Sorrento - easy peasy. Remember if you take the bus to any of these villages you won't have to find your way up a very steep hill when you get there. Bus in, ferry out is always the best combination.

If you want to visit Pompeii or Herculaneum get the train. The older part of Sorrento just below the campsite is worth a visit in the evening if you choose to stay there.

4. 25kilg

25kilg Funster

Caio :
    thanks for tips - think i'll paint van red and change Funster badge to a Ferrari prancing horse, may feel more "at home" driving amongst the locals. Intended to go to Sorrento & Pompeii anyway so will note the sites mentioned.
    Also any experience of Rome?

Molti Grazie :

5. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Thanks. I have bookmarked that site. Are there any Italian equivalent of Aires in the area and if so what are they like please?

6. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Yes - we were perfectly happy with Camping Village Flaminio (http://www.villageflaminio.com/en/) which is a short walk from a suburban railway station that takes you straight into the centre of Rome. There's also a supermarket along the route to the station. Buses stop outside the campsite as well. The campsite has a long entrance drive so they run a shuttle buggy from the pitches to the gate if you're feeling lazy or knackered.

Rome is fairly compact - you can walk around most of the key visitor attractions, including The Vatican City. The metro is a bit limited, with only two lines that cross over at Termini station. Once you've seen the Colliseum and the Forum, spare some time for The Pantheon, which many visitors rate very highly.

Regarding the query about Areas da Sosta - unlike France, many aires in Italy are privately run, so they're a bit like MH-only campsites and their rates are similar to campsites. A good example is Sorrento, where the aire costs the same as Camping Nube d'Argento, and the campsite is far more pleasant. Another one that springs to mind is the MH only site outside San Gimignano which is typical of their way of doing it. Likewise at Torbole on Lake Garda. You occasionally see MH tolerant parking areas like in Lucca and Siena, but they're basically car parks. You don't very often see the picturesque low-cost aires with a nice view, a service point and a bit of grass that France is full of.

The Italians are generally very friendly people, especially if you make the effort to speak their language, but they're highly skilled at extracting the tourist Euro, and most Areas da Sosta are part of all this.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Yorkshirefreckles

Yorkshirefreckles Funster

I'm sure the wedding will be wonderful. My son was married in Sorrento in 2013 and it was beautiful! Our original plan was to take the van (and the wedding dress) overland to Italy. In the end, we didn't but would have been very happy to do so. Lots to see & do while there - Pompeii is good but Herculaneum is better! I'm sure you'll find a suitable place to stay and you'll find it's all worthwhile. Have fun!

• Like Like x 1
  8. 25kilg

25kilg Funster

Thanks for replies ; ferry booked today Hull to Zebruggeto - seems that now we'll be used as a delivery van for some of the larger wedding packages,and clothes !!!.
    Route down from Zebrugge undecided, a week to get there and a slow journey back. Hope most French and Italian holidays will be ending on the weekend we plan to leave.

9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Fantastic tourist trap city and this campsite is right in the middle. A must visit place. Public transport gets you to Naples ( fast boat ), Pompeii, Herculanium, Capri. And surely Amalfi.

We were struggling to get a Corsa around the Amalfi coast.