Italy advice would be much appreciated (1 Viewer)

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Hi everyone, I'm thinking of venturing into Italy in the summer round about early August. We'll be crossing via the Tunnel into France and heading for Ancona area in Italy. What I would like to know is the best route through France and Switzerland without being fleeced to death with tolls. Is there also a preferred route through Italy? On the subject of Switzerland I'm aware of Go Boxes and wouldn't mind avoiding that hassle too!

Any advice would be mutchly appreciated!

Thanks Mike.

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
We went to Italy and Lake Garda via France, Germany, Austria and then the Brenner pass. This avoids Switzerland and go boxes. We used aires/stellplatz practically the whole way apart from a 3 day stop at a campsite in Austria, which was amazing with full spa facilities - it cost a bit mind, but worth it.

Deleted User
Just looked at your profile and it shows you have a Swift Kontiki 679 which according to them is a tag axle with a 5000k max weight, don't think that you can avoid go boxes in Switzerland or Austria at that weight.

A few years ago we went with a fifth wheeler via Grenoble, Le Bourg d'Oisans,Col de Lautaret,Briancon and on into Italy.

A few steep hairpins but coaches and a few trucks use it despite a 7.5 tonne weight limit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Just looked at your profile and it shows you have a Swift Kontiki 679 which according to them is a tag axle with a 5000k max weight, don't think that you can avoid go boxes in Switzerland or Austria at that weight.

A few years ago we went with a fifth wheeler via Grenoble, Le Bourg d'Oisans,Col de Lautaret,Briancon and on into Italy.

A few steep hairpins but coaches and a few trucks use it despite a 7.5 tonne weight limit.

Hi I should have changed that, I now have an Auto Trail Tracker FB max weight 3650 I think.

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
We went to Italy and Lake Garda via France, Germany, Austria and then the Brenner pass. This avoids Switzerland and go boxes. We used aires/stellplatz practically the whole way apart from a 3 day stop at a campsite in Austria, which was amazing with full spa facilities - it cost a bit mind, but worth it.

Hi thanks for the reply. I just put the route Calais to Ancona into the Mitchelin site and I think the route you are referring to is route 3? HERE

Deleted User
I stand to be corrected but I think that the Go Box is actually an Austrian device for vehicles over 3500k, the Swiss have a different system.

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
Yes, that looks accurate. We went on into Croatia from Italy. Be warned it is hot, hot, hot in July and August which is when we went.
Hi thanks for the reply. I just put the route Calais to Ancona into the Mitchelin site and I think the route you are referring to is route 3? HERE

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Go via Switzerland, it really is very easy and reasonable price. We have a 4.5t motorhome so standard vignettes do not work - they are only for up to 3.5T.

From the channel tunnel we went through Belgium and Luxembourg to Metz (although I doubt I will do that again!) and then the N57 and N66 to Mulhouse and crossed into Switzerland at Basel. From there we went motorways all the way and crossed into Italy at Como. I think it took us about 4 or 5 hours to get through Switzerland and that included a half hour queue for the Gothard Tunnel.

Really simple system, just stop at border and go into the office and buy a pass to use Swiss roads for any 10 days in a period of a year (which starts on the day you but it). Border guards and office staff were very helpful and spoke English - they even filled the form in for me. It cost about 32 Swiss francs (about £28). Every day you are in the country you just fill out one of the lines on the form before you start driving. It allows you to use all Swiss motorways and tunnels. We used the one pass for both going to Italy and coming back.

Very cheap compared with the cost of using either the Mont Blanc or Frejus tunnels from France to Switzerland.

One final point - at Basel don't follow the signs for the lorries or you will be waiting for ages. Just follow the signs for cars.

Badboo

Free Member
Nov 23, 2016
Northern Portugal
Funster No
MH
McLouis Mc2 72 motor home
Exp
This our first!!
We're looking for a route into Italy from Avignon in France. GMaps has suggested a route via Gap and Briancon ( as per the attached image). Is anyone familiar with this route and its suitability for a MH?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    864.8 KB · Views: 20
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Personally I'd prefer to stick to the coast route, did this trip in reverse last year, but for various reasons took the motorway route (peage) both in France and Italy. It is so slow going through the mountains, but of course much prettier. Are you going the the lakes?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We're looking for a route into Italy from Avignon in France. GMaps has suggested a route via Gap and Briancon ( as per the attached image). Is anyone familiar with this route and its suitability for a MH?
I've done that, it is a good drive over into Italy. There is an aire at the Col de Montgenevre at 6,000 feet and the route up there is very attractive.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hi I should have changed that, I now have an Auto Trail Tracker FB max weight 3650 I think.

The same applies then. 3500 is the magic number.

You will still need a GoBox for Austria and to pay the Heavy Vehicle Fee in Switzerland.

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
Whatever you do, do not use the road that goes via San Remo along the coast, especially in high Summer. We have done it and it is no fun at all.

Reactions: DBK
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The same applies then. 3500 is the magic number.

You will still need a GoBox for Austria and to pay the Heavy Vehicle Fee in Switzerland.
The Heavy Vehicle Fee is for lorries and based upon mileage and tonnage. The Fee for motorhomes over 3.5t is calculated differently - it is based upon days not miles. That is why I said in my previous post not to join the queue for lorries.

If you are only going to use the motorhome in Switzerland for 10 days or less in a year then it is cheaper if you are over 3.5t than the vignette is for under 3.5t. Both are just as easy to pick up at the border.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We've used the route @matamoros describes (via Grenoble then Briancon and over the Col de Montgenevre) a number of times, including this September. Big advantage is no tunnel toll to pay (Mont Blanc costs an arm and a leg and most of a torso), and no need for a Swiss vignette. Also, a free car park type aire at Briancon, and a huge (not free) aire at Montgenevre. The route does have hairpins but is wide and is used by trucks. The scenery is stunning, especially the Col de Lauteret.

The Med coast route into Italy from France is like the higher levels of a 1980s arcade driving game - done it twice, never again.

Reactions: DBK

Badboo

Free Member
Nov 23, 2016
Northern Portugal
Funster No
MH
McLouis Mc2 72 motor home
Exp
This our first!!
Are you going the the lakes?

The route is still a work in progress and is literally changing each day. One thing I should have mentioned in my original post is that we're departing on December 22 so the heat and summer heat won't be a consideration but is this a good route for winter?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997

We drove our MH from Avignon to Italy via Briancon this autumn, although we went south down the A7 a bit then up the A51. The road is suitable for a MH provided (obviously) it is snow & ice free. There's a number of hairpin bends on the bit between Briancon and Montgenevre, but the road is wide and you're going uphill. Going down into Italy towards Oulx on the SS24 is fine if you take it easy - it's not incredibly wiggly and is a surprisingly good quality road for Italy.

The route is still a work in progress and is literally changing each day. One thing I should have mentioned in my original post is that we're departing on December 22 so the heat and summer heat won't be a consideration but is this a good route for winter?

I'm guessing as you're in France you know about the winter tyre requirements for certain upland regions? Likewise Italy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back