Italian Lakes (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 29692
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We're planning our summer trip and are looking at Italy, around the lakes. Neither of us has been to that part of the world before so any advice and recommendations gratefully received.

I don't know whether to move around and to take in Maggiore, Como and Garda or to just pick one and spend more time in one place. We're going to have about a week or maybe 10 days once we get there and it's going to be July/August.

If we're moving around a lot happy to stay on aires, if we're in one place for a week then would prefer a site. Any recommendations along these lines? We will be taking the dogs so need pet friendly sites.

Is Italy in general as dog friendly as France?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Garda is a treat because of the transport. If stay in Camping Butterfly or Camping Cappuccini in Peschiera del Garda you have a short walk to the many boats up the lake, a bit longer walk to the station where Verona, Venice is an easy day trip, also many busses.

You must book at that time of year.

Be warned, we did our first Italian trip 20 odd years ago, to Maggiore and ever since we are forced to return. 2014 was a bad year, we did not make it but 2015 looks like 3 visits at the moment.

So why do I suggest Garda, it has a lot more to do/see than the lovely quiet Maggiore. Never been to Como by MH, it's not as touristy as Garda.

Just search on Garda for loads of help and routes.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
probably our favorite spot we go every year..always either end up or start there depending on trip. Lots of recent stuff on lakes..have a look through threads for campsite recomendations :)

we always go July/August as wife works in education, have no choice. IF you have a particular place in mind best book ahead, even now you will find booking difficult as its so popular. Not a cheap area either! but thankfully eating out excellent and very reasonable

Italian lakes the equivalent of cote d'azur or beverly hills, with lakeside campsite price to match

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
I would think the height of summer would be very busy. We travelled there in late September and still found some aires very busy. (Full does not have the same meaning as in the UK). We found the smaller lakes Orta and Iseo charming and quieter. Camping Coverllo (?) near Iseo is one of the friendliest sites we've ever stayed on. The Sacro Monte do Orta is a great visit, even for the non-religious.
We didn't have any problems with Beth the dog but we didn't take her to any cities or on public transport. They seem to have a few more regulations but no-one seemed too bothered.
It was certainly one of our most enjoyable tours.
(The images are of us swimming in Lake Orta and beside Lake Iseo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 78

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
CWH,
When we stopped off at the aire in Cannobio it was pretty late on the day before a big market. It's a large aire but there was only one space left. A tight corner under trees. We squeezed in certain we'd be the last ones.
As the evening progressed at least 5 other vans arrived and "made space" for themselves. Half on grass verge, half on roadway. Across the front of the water access. On top of the no parking signs. It was a very creative use of space!

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Please stop, (don't), this is giving me too many ideas, originally intended to just do Brittany, but decided to follow our nose down to Italy. Leaving UK about 24th April, rtn end of May. taking a week to get to Lake Garda, loitering for a while then gently trundling back. I would appreciate ideas on interesting routes / stop off points, taking into account the boss doesn't like precarious roads.

cheers

Baz

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We're planning on stopping for a couple of nights at either Lake Como or Lake Maggiore on our way back south to Spain from Germany in mid June.

Any advice on which would be the better bet at that time of year? Haven't found much on 'aires' in Italy, so any steers on that would also be appreciated. :)

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Plan A seems to be coming together: Take 3 days or so down through France staying on aires and take the Mont Blanc tunnel into Italy. Then 3 or 4 days hopefully on aires around Maggiore and Como, then a week on a site at Garda (emailed Camping Cappuccino to try and get a booking) then take 3 or 4 days back to Calais through Austria, Germany and Belgium.
Only going to book the tunnel one way so that we can stay longer if we want to then book the return a couple of days in advance once we know when we're coming back.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We're planning on stopping for a couple of nights at either Lake Como or Lake Maggiore on our way back south to Spain from Germany in mid June.

Any advice on which would be the better bet at that time of year? Haven't found much on 'aires' in Italy, so any steers on that would also be appreciated. :)

lake como difficult...we looked for 2 aires last year and failed to find them. there is an unofficial area that vans stop in como town. I have found it on map..hope link works.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@45.8...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s17RLBB6RcF3HOIZcYO7Y7w!2e0

we went there early evening about 7 campers parked up. you may need to leave early as police may move you on. on the return leg to UK there was something on at the nearby stadium so it was packed..we just waited and spaces appeared as people left event.

there is a cafe opposite with free wifi which we picked up in the camper. Had to laugh, talking to a couple of italian campers next to us, I asked what happens if police turn up and you have had a few drinks? they laughed and said just tell them to piss off as you cant drive...can you imagine that happening here?lol

in the morning police turned up and all the other foreign plated vans skedaddled of, my two italian neighbors did not even bother getting out of bed...were having none of it!lol the police just waved their arms in exasperation and drove off. we had breakfast and left leaving the other vans there

This an example of why we love Italy:)

This the Site mentioned previously

http://www.camperonline.it/campeggi-italia.asp

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I would think the height of summer would be very busy. We travelled there in late September and still found some aires very busy. (Full does not have the same meaning as in the UK). We found the smaller lakes Orta and Iseo charming and quieter. Camping Coverllo (?) near Iseo is one of the friendliest sites we've ever stayed on. The Sacro Monte do Orta is a great visit, even for the non-religious.
We didn't have any problems with Beth the dog but we didn't take her to any cities or on public transport. They seem to have a few more regulations but no-one seemed too bothered.
It was certainly one of our most enjoyable tours.
(The images are of us swimming in Lake Orta and beside Lake Iseo.
Lake Orta is fantastic. We stayed at Camping Royale in Pettenasco which overlooks the lake and is very dog friendly.
Broken Link Removed
By the way, we have also stayed at Camping Butterfly at Lake Garda................... hated it!!!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
One of the rich FUNsters. But worth it, Chamonix is a delight. The Aiguile du Midi is one of life's essentials. Lovely campsite in the middle of town next to the hospital. A great route, scenery to die for.

:Eeek: I doubt it.

We're planning on one of our overnights on the way down being in Chamonix. Somewhere else we've never been and want to.

I'm planning on driving for no more than 3 hours or so per day and enjoying the stopovers. The added benefit is that the dogs won't get fed up.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm planning on driving for no more than 3 hours or so per day and enjoying the stopovers. The added benefit is that the dogs won't get fed up.

You don't go far in 3 hours in a MH. But that's your choice, if you enjoy it then it's the right choice for you. You'll find my quick route to Garda on here, Metz, Lucern, Garda, sorted. And my slow route with a few days in Fussen.

We used Chamonix for our first Italian trip but that was on a bike so quite cheap through the tunnel, we came back in the MH once and almost went to the Police to report a robbery

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Blimey......3 hours?...a bit of a lightweight:D You wont get anywhere at that rate. We either go via switzerland or Austria and avoid french tunnels like the plague. this year via switzerland, and will stop 2 or 3 days there, probably lucerne or interlaken

hope your not over 3 metres:

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You don't go far in 3 hours in a MH. But that's your choice, if you enjoy it then it's the right choice for you. You'll find my quick route to Garda on here, Metz, Lucern, Garda, sorted. And my slow route with a few days in Fussen.

We used Chamonix for our first Italian trip but that was on a bike so quite cheap through the tunnel, we came back in the MH once and almost went to the Police to report a robbery

We'll be in no particular hurry. Three days from Calais to Maggiore and then three or four days from Garda back to Calais is the plan. I did look at the Switzerland route but decided against it this time. Will probably look at that one next time.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But we'll enjoy going nowhere (y) I'm the only driver and 6 or 8 hours of it in a day doesn't really do it for me. Drive during the morning, find somewhere nice to park up and explore during the afternoon and evening is the way we go (y)

Very civilised indeed. But that tunnel price, very much cheaper via Switzerland and free if you go Germany, Austria carefully.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Very civilised indeed. But that tunnel price, very much cheaper via Switzerland and free if you go Germany, Austria carefully.

How does the heavy vehicle fee work in in Switzerland?

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
:)
Garda is a treat because of the transport. If stay in Camping Butterfly or Camping Cappuccini in Peschiera del Garda you have a short walk to the many boats up the lake, a bit longer walk to the station where Verona, Venice is an easy day trip, also many busses.

You must book at that time of year.

Be warned, we did our first Italian trip 20 odd years ago, to Maggiore and ever since we are forced to return. 2014 was a bad year, we did not make it but 2015 looks like 3 visits at the moment.

So why do I suggest Garda, it has a lot more to do/see than the lovely quiet Maggiore. Never been to Como by MH, it's not as touristy as Garda.

Just search on Garda for loads of help and routes.

Hi Brian
Reading your post we looked at Camping Cappuccini and it looks good on the web site.However would this be the best site for the lake, and is it fairly peaceful as we don't do noise :)
Thanks Rich

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Camping Cappuccini have replied and can fit us in. It's all coming together :D

@hilldweller Brian, do you know if Luzern Camping International are likely to take us for one night at the end of July if we just turn up or should I try and book it?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We are off to the lakes this summer now as well.

Thanks to a couple of school inset days we can go last week in August and first week in September.

Hopefully a lot of the Dutch teenagers will have buggered off from the pool area by then;)

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
:Eeek: I doubt it.

We're planning on one of our overnights on the way down being in Chamonix. Somewhere else we've never been and want to.

Another option for a stopover is...

http://www.campingarcenciel.it/ChiSiamo.asp

Near Morgex only a few km's from the Italian side of the Mont Blanc Tunnel...we've used it as an overnighter several times...nice restaurant and stunning mountain scenery together with a friendly welcome and hot showers..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back