Isolating Leisure Batteries for Long Term Storage

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Falcon 269, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Falcon 269

Falcon 269 Funster

Our Adria sits in secure offsite storage with no EHU for many weeks between runs and it will be that way for until next year, unfortunately.

The master control panel supposedly turns off all electrical demands on the leisure batteries but I wonder if I should be physically disconnecting them as well?

If that's the case, rather than mess with the terminals, would it be OK to fit battery isolation switches on the pos & neg cables to achieve the same effect?

Thanks in advance. :)

2. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

You should not need to isolate them but if you choose to do so one isolation switch on the +ve lead to the MH electrics is enough. However if "many weeks" = more than 6 your batteries will have a very short life. A much better option if they are left longer than a month is to bring them away with you & connect them to a modern trickle charger.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

a quick way to kill batteries is to leave them without maintenance charge for months on end. an isolator is only ok for short terms,

• Like Like x 2
  4. Falcon 269

Falcon 269 Funster

Makes sense, thank you both.

I think I might be investing in some quick release terminal clamps, or perhaps bring the girl out of storage more frequently for some time on EHU at home.

5. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Why not just pull out the fuse or 2 mins with a spanner and the terminals are off completely.. Cant see any point in spending time and money doing a longer job for something you plan to do just now and again..

6. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

It might depend where the batteries are located. I believe some are well hidden under seats and floors etc.

7. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Yes,.. agree on that. Just thought as the OP was talking about fitting quick release terminals he is doing half the job to start with.. :)
    And not going back to it till 2015 it's not a great hardship...
    Sure a solution will be found.....