isle of wight

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by gromit, Jan 8, 2013.

1. gromit

gromit Read Only Funster

hello thinking of going to isle of wight ???? any ideas as never been thanks

2. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

3. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

We went a good few years back whilst still using a tent, we were there for around a month the first time and had a good time, at the time we were well into car boot sales and have to say we made a killing while there, buying there and selling when we got back made us enough to completely pay for the holiday. we stayed on a site called The Old Touring Barn, nice site and not all cramped and crowded like some over there. The one thing that puts me off going now is the extortionate ferry costs especially for the outfit we have now , I believe it is the most expensive ferry in the world mile for mile.

4. gromit

gromit Read Only Funster

ok thanks any idea of prices whats camp sites like and weather ?

5. golly

golly Funster

We were there last year stayed Whitefield forest site which was excellent, public transport on the island is great, we never moved the van all week. Red funnel had a deal last year that included camp fees and ferry crossing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. golly

golly Funster

We went in May, Ferry and 5 nights camp fees about £130 ish I think

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  7. FULL TIMER

8. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

I can only echo Golly j's post, we had a Red Funnel deal to Whitfield Forest site.
    I think we paid about £130 for 5nights camping and return ferry. An excellent site with very good facilities and good transport links nearby. There is plenty to see and do on the I.O.W., the roads in places are narrow but we used public transport to get about.
    Brisey.

• Like Like x 1
  9. deanroofing

deanroofing Funster

Red funnell deal is really good we stayed at Appledurcombe nice site, is around the £150 mark.

10. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

We did'nt find the ferry expensive in fact just the opposite. We went last year with Red Funnel 6 nights at Appledurcombe 8 metre tag axle Hymer £130 all up campsite and return ferries. Subscribe to Red Funnel website and they'll advise you of any deals first.

11. zaskar

zaskar Funster

Went a few years ago with a 32ft RV. Not that expensive to get there, but in all honesty I'm not sure that it was worth it or would go again. Dont get me wrong. It's nice. Good scenery, couple of nice twee villages..........but not really worth it. Plenty of just as good places on the mainland. I think it's one of those places which draw peoples imaginations just because its an island.

12. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Don't know if it's still available, but we paid for our return ferry in August 2011 using Tesco vouchers. :thumb:

Enjoyed our trip, and because it was peak season we stayed at a couple of Camping and Caravanning Club temporary holiday sites for a few pounds each night - excellent value.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  13. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

14. FULL TIMER

maybe I'll have to take another look at the ferry prices, last time I looked on the wightlink site I think I got a quote bearing on rediculous. our unit is just over 8 meters long but I think our problem was the height as it is over 3 meters

15. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Darrell ( son of mine ) loves the place.. He has been in his motorhome and before that a caravan..

I have only been once as a kid but to this day remember it as a really lovely place to go

• Like Like x 1
  16. phil1946

phil1946 Funster

My only advice, without a direct question, would be that Wightlink have decided that they know best and a TOAD is NOT a trailer.

They insist that it is paid for as a separate car (and driven on by another driver) which makes the already expensive ferry fare extortionate. Given that, on some sailings, they allow a caravan to travel free and their prices for a motorhome are ALWAYS more than for a car and caravan (I always had to pay more than my daughter who's unit is longer) I find their attitude to motorhomes unbelievable and refuse to use them.

On the other hand Red Funnel allow me to travel cheaper when I have the car or trailer behind the RV than without! Apparently it alters the type of ticket and gives a worthwhile reduction. I have been known to tell them that I am going to collect a trailer or have had to leave it on the North Island as it broke!!

I have no connection with either company.

If you have any specific questions about the Island feel free to ask or pm me.

17. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi Gromit, As said before ferries are expensive, best to get an inclusive package from one of the campsites, my preference is whitefield forest site , it's the only campsite I use ( only use cs or cls)when staying on the island. I believe wightlink have now stopped there dream ticket night sailings which I have always used as only £30 return, I haven't been on the website to see what offers they have this year As Phil1946 said if you state what you like to do or see either of us will give you some idea's or you can PM me or him , as both of us live on the island. If you do decide to come to the island you could stay for the 5 day or whatever inclusive package and ask the ferry operator if you could extend your ticket and stay at various 5 van sites which range from £6 up to £11 ,there's some very nice secluded ones over here or even wild camp as I used to do I can give some suggestions on both. The island has a lot to offer with very little mileage involved , about 10 beaches ranging from seasidey to rugged, some quite good cycle ways also lovely walks & scenery.

Terry:sin: