Isle of Man

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by DBSilverfox, Dec 5, 2010.

1. DBSilverfox

DBSilverfox Read Only Funster

Juat read an interesting article on touring the Isle of Man in a motorhome. Seems they are very welcoming, and it is a great place to go. Anyone been? How was it?

David

2. JJ

JJ Funster

I had dealings with the Isle of Man in the early 90's.

It seemed to be a different planet to me....

On our first visit the taxi driver was really moaning about the recent banning of the birch in their schools...

... each to their own though I suppose!

It is a very small island... shouldn't take long to cover it fully in your motorhome...

Avoid all those motorbikes though... they go very fast...

JJ

PS... leave your cat at home...!!!

3. paulmold

paulmold Read Only Funster

I've always fancied a trip over myself. Did look at going across this year but booking ferry seemed a problem as there seems to be a low height limit on the ferries, only suitable for a standard van conversion not a high-top with an aerial as well. I think I would have to use a commercial lorry ferry, anyone know the best way to get over there?

4. movan

movan Funster Life Member

I would LOVE to go there. Not been since I was ten years old when mum and dad and the next door neighbours went every year..... We went to Douglas and they had a carnival with a big gorilla in the fete which used to come into the crowd and grab the women and put them on the lorry.....

I was petrified that he would take my mum....:Sad:

... But I DID see a fairy in the fairy glen.:BigGrin: HONEST.

5. sedge

sedge Funster

I'm sure someone from IoM told us they kept their Mhome on the mainland because of prohibitive ferry prices, but I could be wrong - haven't checked em.

6. acting_strange

acting_strange

Both myself and a colleague have relatives over there and I can tell you that they are one of the friendliest people you will meet.

There is some fantastic countryside to see and coast.

Beautiful place. The crossing can be a bit iffy at times though, it was a force 9 when we went over last.

TT weeks are best avoided unless you are well into bikes and going nowhere for a while

7. DBSilverfox

no cat, so coevered that. will avoid the bike races. love bikes but hate crowds :Smile:

seems isle of man Steam packet has different height limits for each vessel, though the one in the article is 4 metres, so it should be good.

will look into it more closely now...

8. DBSilverfox

I think you might be right on ferry prices. But hey, still cheaper than a hotel, and more fun :BigGrin:

9. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi David
    not taken the van there yet , but have been over many times working and on holidays , we have thought about a trip over in the van but to date never looked into it. sorry I cant help with ferries etc but you will enjoy the Island if you go. peter :Laughing::Laughing::Laughing:

10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

last time i went the ferry was very reasonable....me and m/cycle return ticket= £9 and a weeks B&B in a Douglas prom hotel was £40...PER WEEK

that was 1977 though :Rofl1:

11. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

l live on the Isle of Man, and there are two ferry departure points in England. During the summer, the sea cat leaves Liverpool pier head, and has a crossing time of around 2 and 1/2 hours. Height restrictions are in force, but l think its the link span that has a limited height, not the ship. The other port is Heysham, just south of Morecambe, Lancs, and this ferry will accommodate any size of vehicle. It runs from here all year round, and leaves at 1415h and 0215h. Crossing time 3 and 3/4 hours.

There are camp sites on the Island, but, you are welcome to camp more or less anywhere you wish, within reason. There is a beautiful park here in Ramsey, and it is full of MHs in the summer, fresh water, and waste disposal too, and it's free. l can recommend numerous places to "wild camp" if you wish to pm me l will give all the information.

I think it's a wonderful place, especially to live. Very little crime, relaxed, quiet roads (except for TT fortnight, check before you book), wonderful scenery, and the most amazing sunsets from the west coast.

The island is around 30 miles north to south, and 13 miles east to west. Take your time and enjoy. We have Steam and electric railways, one will take you to the top of Snaefell where you can see England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland.

l would recommend filling up with fuel before you come as its around 10p a litre dearer here.

Craig.

12. peterandclare

peterandclare Read Only Funster

I go every year for the TT staying in "homestay" ( effectively B&B with the local people) and I love the place.

Howvere in 2007 I persuaded SWMBO to come with me in the van ( Adria Van M) and we had a tremendous 5 days. Ferry prices were much greater if you stayed longer.

We enjoyed the site at Cronk Dhoo Farm Campo Site and in fact I took a party of fellow Yamaha TDM owners back this year to stay at the CronkDhoo. Lyn is the proprietor and am sure will be happy to see more motor homes from UK

the walks especially at the south end of the island are beautiful

[​IMG]

We also stayed free camping here

[​IMG]

the transport systems are worth a visit themsleves alone covering horse trams, trams, electric railway, steam trains and mountain railway.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Isle of Man - try it and enjoy it!

All the best

Pete

13. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

Hi Pete, just looking at the photos you supplied. lt shows how lovely the place is when the sun shines.

Craig

14. DBSilverfox

Thanks for all the responses. this definitely looks like a good idea for 2011 :thumb:

David

15. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

This is true, a lot of island based MH owners leave their MHs on the mainland because of the cost of the ferries. It's alright coming over and touring, and enjoying, but, if you live here then the first part of any journey is the ferry. So, if l wanted to have a week or so in England, l have to get the ferry. And if l did that 4 or 5 times a year, or a long weekend now and then, it becomes expensive. So, it makes sense to leave the MH in secure storage, and get the ferry as a foot passenger for a few quid when l want to go off, or get a half hour flight. lt's still cheaper than ferry costs with a MH.

Craig

16. Phil_Mart

Phil_Mart Read Only Funster

The wife and I are hoping to get over there next year (2011). We will be taking the MH and towing me Bonny T100 for some fun touring :BigGrin:
    We are going for 3 weeks spread over the two weeks of the TT and traveling from Haysham ferry port.

Graig, the site we are thinking of going to is Glenlough at Union Mills. Have you any views on this site?

17. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

Glen lough campsite is on the TT course just after Union Mills. l have never used it, but according to others it's quite good. A large campsite with all the facilities, but, l will check it out for you, and report back, no probs. Very popular site especially for the TT.

Craig

18. sedge

sedge Funster

Having though about this some more, I think one of the issues with the fellah we spoke to was also that he wanted to come to mainland Europe and against he'd paid TWO ferries it was just silly money.

19. novawight

novawight Read Only Funster

The same as when i was living on the isle of wight, what a rip of place for ferry prices, there was an article i read it is the most expensive ferry in the uk :cry: