Isle of Islay anybody?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DavidG58, Jul 25, 2014.

1. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

We are heading this way on the 4th August, anybody else been ?

We hope to get on to Jura as well, but have heard the ferry is small with steep ramps, any advice regarding grounding mainly

We will post updates and photos as we go, really looking forward to it

We are going in via Dunoon after much deliberation, driving down the Kintyre peninsular to get the ferry

On the way back we are coming over via Arran

We will have then been to all the Scottish western islands we can sensibly get the MH on to, Shetland and Orkney next year

• Like Like x 2
  2. Al-Di

Al-Di Funster

cant help but will follow, as this is something we want to have a go at,

Alan + Diane,

• Like Like x 1
  3. New Dawn

New Dawn Funster

Did Arran 3yrs ago. Stayed at the golf club in Lochranza (think it's spelt right). Fantastic. Parked by first tee, next morning woke up with motorhome surrounded by a herd of red deer. The owner came and moved them off, where they wandered down to the 7th tee & disappeared into the forest. The island is wonderful. Viking longboat, museums, Arran clothing, especially good is the fishing. Enjoy (y)(y)(y)

• Like Like x 1
  4. jezport

jezport Funster

We have done Islay. It's great for wild camping and the locals are really friendly. We didn't get time to do Jura as we had an island hopper ticket and had lots of islands to do.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Manxcat

Manxcat Funster

I thought I had drunk it all!!

Is there any left?

Have a good time!

• Like Like x 2
  6. movan

movan Funster Life Member

David, not sure but Dingray may be able to give you advice re all this if you pm (conversation) him. Joy

• Like Like x 1
  7. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

Sounds fun ...might i be cheeky and ask what sort of prices your ferries are costing?

Being a Scotland dweller im always put of by the ridonkulous prices calmac charge for crossings I've done mull, bute, and skye but have yet to do more due to the costs .....last time I got a quote for Shetland it was around £400 :(

Eire appeals to me too but can get to spain cheaper lol

• Like Like x 1
  8. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

Leave the "Jura" go for the "Bunnahabhain" it is so much smoother, real sipping neat tackle !!

• Like Like x 1
  9. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Thanks for input, final planning this week, we leave on Friday, nothing booked yet

10. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Thanks Joy, been away for weekend, will message him now (y)

11. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

We have heard these islands have very peaty and or smoky whisky, not Bev's choice, I don't even drink the stuff, looking for non peaty options, any advice?:)

12. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

Bunnahabhain is not really peaty, avoid Lagavulin and particularly Laphroigh, an acquired taste like blue cheese ? However after the third or fourth dram who cares !! enjoy. The islands will have their party frock on with this good weather, park up near the sea, Midgie attack from just one side, you may win, only may !!

• Like Like x 1
  13. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

The prices are not cheap, I read somewhere they were allegedly pegged to be equal to cost of fuel for an equivalent mileage on land, I really can not see that

I think most of our crossings are CalMac, crossing timings and costs in link below

http://www.calmac.co.uk/timetables

our first crossing is to Dunoon, with Western Ferries, cross every half hour from 6am to about midnight, no idea why they have so many crossings, really not expecting that much traffic (might be another mistake) that crossing is about £32 one way

then we are going get across to the Kintyre peninsular down to Inverary for the ferry to Islay, Inverary looks lovely we have used google earth and street view to look at a lot of the route from Dunoon, looks really nice. Inverary though we could not find a car park (on google earth) that allowed motorhomes, emailed the tourist office there and they have said there is dedicated parking for shopping not camping

Ferry on to Islay return for 8m MH 2 adults early August is £122!!

It is a lot of money and yes I know I can get through the Chunnel for about the same, but 1000's will be in France, a few dozen on Islay:D

• Like Like x 1
  14. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

It is a lot of money and yes I know I can get through the Chunnel for about the same, but 1000's will be in France, a few dozen on Islay:D[/QUOTE]

Two weeks ago coming down from Durness (up near Cape Wrath, Northeast tip of mainland) sort of outer Mongolia ?? we were embroiled in a ten Motorhome Convoy !!

Cup of tea and pot of soup, till they got out of my hair. Thought we were in an exclusive ish kind of club not mass hysteria ??

• Like Like x 1
  15. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

You'll find most of the car parks and lay by will still have signs saying no overnight camping etc but it's unenforceable in Scotland so if you leave no mess and don't create a nuisance you'll find it very unlikely to be moved on.

You will usually always find other vans camped in them too

I've not stayed in a campsite in Scotland in over 6 years.

Someone will be along in a minute to disagree with me no doubt :) ........but I've never once been moved on or had any negative encounters wild camping in Scotland and I've lived here all my life

• Like Like x 1
  16. TDH

TDH Funster

Jura1.jpg Jura2.jpg Hello David. We did more or less the same trip in April of last year - it was just fab!! We spent a night next to a picnic spot near to Carradale, on the east side of the Kintyre peninsular (its a narrower road than the one on the west, but just beautiful).
    Yes, the ferry from Islay to Jura is small and we grounded our towbar as we got off but no damage done (there were plenty of scrape marks on the tarmac!). We stopped on a huge beach on Jura, about a mile after the distillery - one of the locals told us that there was absolutely no issue with parking up there and that in summer there were usually a couple of motorhomes there. (I've added a couple of photos of the spot - it's quite near the remains of the old quay and there's an info board with a poem about leaving Jura).
    On Islay we wild camped in a parking spot on the Oa reserve, near to the American war memorial. That's worth a visit in its own right but even better was watching an eagle quartering the hillside at dusk.
    Have a good one!!

• Like Like x 3
  17. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

Beautiful pics especially the first one

• Like Like x 1
  18. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Thanks TDH

We were already really excited about this trip, these photos have really set us off now

19. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

Tambo......... The Orkney and Shetland Ferries are a different kettle of fish.
    Caledonian McBrayne give subsidised tickets to tourists visiting the western isles.
    The Island Hopper Scheme makes a lot of sense I'll try and get a link for prices
    http://www.calmac.co.uk/timetables/

Hopscotch is the name of the multi journey ticket

20. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

DavidG58 If you havn't travelled up the Loch Lomond Road to Inverary, it is much nicer than travelling from Dunoon
    You would cross the Erskine Bridge (not toll anymore) head for Loch Lomond drive to Arochar around Loch Long up The Rest and be Thankful, to you get to Loch Fine, heading to Inverary.
    The ferry to Islay isn't from Inverary, it's further south at Kenacraig.

On your way (both routes) you will pass Loch Fine Oysters a seafood restaurant. (reasuringly expensive) If you use the restaurant you can camp in their grounds.

What ever you decide, if the sun shines, Scotland and the Islands are beautiful. Hope the weather stays fine.

Enjoy

• Like Like x 1