Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Anyone been there recently? Last time I was there you could park up on the machair (now forbidden !) and watch the planes land on the beach ! Is there wild camping on the Island ?
:cooler::cooler::cooler:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
You could do worse than spending the night by the ferry departure to Eriskay. Fresh water and black waste dump, I think. Also, toilets open 24 hours. It was fine for us.

Broken Link Removed

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Not that recently - but back in the middle of last year.

Didn't really feel it was exceptionally wild camp friendly, but not tooooo bad either. I was too big to get in by the airport, but there were a couple of vans there parked up on the sand there, but it was really ripped about quite a lot so I presume that won't make folk happy. I went past it and up the road where there must have been a really good spot but it was cordoned off with strategically placed boulders.

Non of the campsites were big enough for me anyway, and the ones I saw looked very slopey.

But I did find a layby (above) and had a lovely night even though it was right by the road, and I stayed on till late morning when it looked as though someone had pulled right down onto the machair on the opposite side of the bay to presumably stay overnight - or longer?

In general I found the Outer Hebrides slightly camper van unfriendly but not tooooo bad. Commercial campsites in general seemed quite expensive (IMO) though as I say the ones I contacted weren't prepared to accept my vehicle.

The Uists were very pretty and had some good places to stop - and I did actually stay two or three days at this one, and think could have stayed longer and no-one would have minded

PS there was a beautiful huge white sand bay just behind those dunes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Some info here on camping and facilities for motorhomes..

Broken Link Removed

It is possible to park motorhomes in a few other places on the islands, for limited periods only. There are few obvious off-road pull-in 'viewing' sites as you travel the main circular Barra road. These areas have no facilities of any kind and are primarily designed for parking, or for day visitors wishing to walk, use adjacent beaches or simply enjoy the view! We ask motorhome owners to respect this, and limit their stay in these areas, so all visitors and residents may continue to enjoy access to them. Limited spaces (no facilities) can be found at Scurrival: an area there, offroad (to the left, going north, by the rocky west beach) is available, for short stay only

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back