Island hoppin?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Attila the Hen, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Funster

Hi, after many years of family holidays in our trusty caravan our daughter, who has a severe learning disability, has moved into her own flat where she is doing a brilliant job of living independently. We have bought ourselves a lovely leisuredrive 2 berth high-top camper van so that we can enjoy longer breaks as a couple (+collie of course!) for the very first time. We will however keep a foot in the 'tugger' camp as we have fitted a towbar to Stan so that we can still take our daughter with us sometimes.
    We are looking forward to spending 3 weeks island hopping in Scotland this May but I'm having trouble deciding where to go - all this freedom has gone to my head! I thought we would start on Arran then over to the Mull of Kintyre - after that who knows? Maybe Mull?
    It's a few years since we last visited (mainland) Scotland so I'm sure we'll enjoy ourselves wherever we end up. Thanks for an interesting looking forum, regards, Chris

• Like Like x 1
  2. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Hello and how nice that you are now able to have some trips by yourself but still able to take holidays with your daughter too. Lots of people will give you advice about your trip I'm sure ! Have a very Happy New Year and 2016!

3. Popeye

Popeye Funster

My brother's partner's daughter has similar problems and for a short time managed to move into her own accomodation and STILL they did not take advantage of their new found albeit temporary freedom, go for it and very good luck to you.

4. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Did arran and gigha this summer are you self contained (shower etc) if so lots of places to overnight free!!

5. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Just go and have fun. Every island is different so if you don't like one hop over to the next!

If you intend to use the Hopscotch ticket plan very carefully as some standard fares are cheaper than the Hopscotch :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Gigha !!?

I would have thought the locals would descend upon you in droves for daring to stay on 'their' island :whistle:

7. obanvanman

obanvanman Funster

If I may suggest ....
    Arran from Ardrossan on the mainland to Brodick.
    Leave Arran via Lochranza to Claonaig.
    If you fancy Mull then go via Oban, lots of places to stop on Mull.
    Return to Oban and then go to Barra (stunning) then South Uist (stunning x 2 )
    and then North Uist ( you get the picture ).
    Up to Harris, on to Lewis and then ferry back to Ullapool on the mainland via Stornaway.
    Depending on the time you could then go on to Skye via the bridge at Kyle of Lochalsh and then off of
    Skye from Armadale to Mallaig.
    The CalMac fare prices have dropped significantly, due to a Road Equivalent Tarriff being introduced by the Scottish Government, so a HopScotch ticket will be well worth the money.
    I know there is a lot here, but it is easily done in 3 weeks. Kev.

• Like Like x 8
  8. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Funster

Thanks for the lovely encouraging replies! No, we don't have a shower but do have a loo, electric etc so would make do with strip washes in between visits to more civilised sites for a shower. By the way, our 'Stan' made a fantastic day van when we took our daughter with us to Norfolk last autumn as we had all the convenience of a camper (especially our own loo) during the day then the ample space and shower etc in the caravan at night.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

We're heading the same way end of May and just meandering with our final destination being Shetland by way of Orkney. We will be more like two months I guess as in previous trips. Wherever you finally decide to head you will not be disappointed.
    Have fun!

10. Lunnie

Lunnie Funster

We wild camped on bother south and north uist.. plenty of places for water but do fill up fuel before you go..fuel expensive.
    showers by the harbours for the fishermen.. cost 50p in 2004 lots of hot water even dd my smalls and other bits...

Gobsmacking beautiful. . Enjoy

11. dippingatoe

dippingatoe Read Only Funster

I loved my trip of the area. Went to Orkney then Shetland, back via Orkney. North coast of Scotland, down the Western Highland, bridge to Skye then up to Tarbert and all down the Outer Hebrides before sailing back to Oban, accompanied by hundred of dolphins. Terrific. Check out my blog for more info www.theworldismylobster.org.uk don't think I stayed at a single campsite until I got back to Oban

• Like Like x 1
  12. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

we love the islands, as many on here do, don't try and do too many first time

Personally I would treat Arran / Islay / possibly Jura a separate trip, leave something for next time

We are yet to get to Barra as we go out from Uig on Skye for the shortest crossing, but have used Ullapool

Once you have been to Harris, if you like big scenery, you will be hooked, we are :)(y)

• Like Like x 2