Island bed motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
A couple of weeks ago I asked for suggestions for motorhomes with island beds. I thought it would be useful to put together your suggestions, just in case someone else is searching for the info.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/name-this-island-bed-motorhome.135895/

Below is a summary!
Burstner T740.
Dethleffs do a black magic edition
Pilote p650
Rapido 691
Burstner T740
Carthago C- Tourer T150
Hymer Tramp CL698
Hymer Exsis T598
Hymer ML-T630
Benimar mileo 294
Dethleffs Esprit T7150 DBM
Burnster ixeo IT734
Adria Matrix 670SC
Roller team 695

And yes, we are still pondering over island bed or rear lounge, for 2 of us and occasionally 3.

We have booked accommodation for NEC weekend and hopefully will put down a deposit!!
Favourite so far is Apache 700. But must have a look at the others before parting with money.

Cliff

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We've got a Rapido 9090 which is the A-class version of the 7090. The A-class cab give you slightly more space inside.

It meets all of your original requirements apart from "not A-class" Is there anything specific you have against A-classes?

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
We have the Burnster IT734, the front double drop down bed is the only one on the market that is length ways and massive, another big advantage is that it comes down low to seat level and in one operation, very pleased with it so far having had a van where the front bed was traverse and quite high up

Reactions: SMB
Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Elddis Encore 254 has an island bed !! we bought ours in June !!

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Have you considered a Kon-tiki 625?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Many thanks for your suggestions!

I like the Kon tiki but I am trying to stay under 7.5m.

For the 'A' class, its just a personal thing, I just prefer the coach built models.

Its really hard deciding what to buy, rear lounge, island bed and swmbo thinks smaller so we can get in more carparks! Aggh!!

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Chausson allegro 97 crossways island bed 7.3m.

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Why do u want to get in to car parks . We never take ours in to town unles traveling though . We do take our 29ft to Morrison with no trouble . We have EBikes to get in to the nooks n cranys lol

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Presumably you have made your mind up on an island bed ? What made your mind up?

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
No, not made up my mind yet!! That's the big problem.... I like the end U lounge, cosy and more usuable space in the day. Island bed because they are comfier and no need to climb over each other to get in / out. Bed more convenient left made up. And to throw in another issue, go smaller to get in more carparks??!!

I like them all!

I think the NEC will help make my mind up

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
When we looked at our second motorhome, we took into consideration the following points.
Fixed beds take up app.a third of the MH space which cannot be utilised during the day.
Fixed beds make the MH longer and not as manoeverable as shorter ones ( I'm sure others will disregard this point but it is a fact).
Then we come to the reason to have a motorhome, do you want to stay a long time in one place and see the countries from the motorways and main roads or do you want to travel the small roads and move on often, if the latter then long isn't necessarily ideal. Best of luck.

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
It's the best compromise is the difficult bit. Yes we want to tour Europe 6 to 8 weeks and we also are looking forward to small village stops, new Forrest etc. Also a 50 50 mix of wilding and paid sites. Next year is definitely Spain

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
We have an end U shape lounge and it really suits us. We have a lovely big lounging area during the day which quickly converts into a huge super king size bed at night (or we could use it as two singles). Our van is only 6.3m but there are still some small car parks where we struggle (although not many). We walk or use bikes in those cases. We've also been on a few sites (and it is only a very small number) where a longer van would have been tricky.

For how we use the van, I think I'd find anything much longer to feel a bit restrictive but I guess you just get used to what you have and use it accordingly.

That didn't help at all did it? :)

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
I agree with you about compromises. We've been looking for homes too. I actually like the twin singles at back with the middle bit, but also like the island bed like you.
I've been looking at A class, coz homers on here said they are better for longer term trips, as have double floors, better insulation etc.
I agree about the rear lounge, for chilling out in. If you put all the bits you want in the mix you end up with a Behemoth.
I would never of looked at a fiat as a car, never appealed to me, but if you look at the majority of homes they are mostly fiat ducato on a Al-ko chassis. I would prefer a mercedes, because I'm programmed to think that Mercedes are quality and last.
I look closely at the weight, I know if I get an A class, with a decent size garage, I will need at least 4000kg, otherwise I will have to go on a diet. I would prefer a 150 P.S minimum, driving round at 4 tonne you need a bit of grunt.
It is difficult to find the ultimate home, unless you pay some serious money, and then they are huge.
good luck on your search.
we are going to NEC too.
cheers Jezza

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
@Muddibootz

Hi and thanks for the reply

Just googling Elddis Autoquest.. what is the model number of your u shaped lounge? very interested to see what you have!

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Fixed beds take up app.a third of the MH space which cannot be utilised during the day.
Hi etap, I thought that as well, but a funster said that their rear beds can be raised at pillow end, so they can lay/sit up and watch TV/read and power nap in the daytime. I think Burstner and a few others make those beds.

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
@jessthedog
Yes the minimum I would go for is 150bhp. I'm very surprised that 130 is standard! my car is 155bhp and i wish I had more!

I know a lot of people here rate A class but i do think they look like a bus, and please, i do not want to offend A class owners, tis just a personal thing.

xx

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
I know a lot of people here rate A class but i do think they look like a bus, and please, i do not want to offend A class owners, tis just a personal thing.
Haven't got one yet. So I can't be offended. Ha Ha.
But you are right. The newer models are a tad better looking. Some of them look like they've been styled by LEGO.
I bet the windscreens cost a few quid.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We have a fixed island bed in the RV - no-one told us we couldn't use it during the day. It does look like a bus - when we went to the Kelpies the car park attendant said he thought we were a coach party arriving! But its appearance doesn't affect our use of it.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
We have a fixed island bed in the RV - no-one told us we couldn't use it during the day. It does look like a bus - when we went to the Kelpies the car park attendant said he thought we were a coach party arriving! But its appearance doesn't affect our use of it.
Hi Klaatu, That looks like a serious piece of kit. No problem with space on that.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
They may look like a brick on wheels but by golly they are comfy and nice to drive and usually a good payload

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
We have an Auto-Trail Delaware which we absolutely love. The island bed is large and extremely comfortable.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
They may look like a brick on wheels but by golly they are comfy and nice to drive and usually a good payload
Hi Speve, your home is one that I've been looking at. Have you got the oven above the fridge/freezer? and if so, how do you get on with it?
Cheers
Jezza

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back