Link Removed
A following on about Scottish Islanders not wanting motorhomers.:cry:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It's a real dilemma, the Highlands and Islands of Scotland are the last remaining remnants of true wilderness in Europe.. we all want to see it preserved for for us and future generations to enjoy, but if the numbers of visitors are not controlled it will be destroyed.. no one wants to see that happen do they ?

I fully agree with this policy ..

This is intelligent and responsible local action which is likely now to be adopted elsewhere in Scotland’s islands.

It sets a limit to the number of such vans present on the island at any one time. It restricts where they may park to areas where they can cause little damage. It charges them a modest fee that is achievable with no great pain for families managing to holiday in beautiful places in these hared times. This reinforces a sense of responsibility in visitors. The use of designated parking places acts against the tendency to drive off and leave a pile of rubbish on the ground. And the allocation system usefully reminds visitors that residents are watching.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As per the comment on the story, a pre-booking system would be preferable but, overall, a necessary scheme to prevent abuse of the environment and road system.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Seems a good idea only concern id have is the fact they may turn away campervans coming off ferry, would it not be better if they stopped them getting on in the first place through some kind of booking system with the ferry company. As in one mh off on off they should know when people are booked.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
My reaction to this is to say sod em and go to France instead they make you feel welcome there providing free facilities including free electric and water in some places.
Local food is also better and people friendlier.
all vans need fuel all people eat and drink adding to the local economy wherever they go. don’t want us, well at least they let us know before we spent several hundreds of pounds visiting.:Sad:
conservation is a problem anywhere and not restricted to the highlands and Islands. motorhomes reduce the amount of greenhouse gasses because the same people would otherwise be flying to their holidays. Just one aircraft produces more greenhouse gas in a single trip than all of the motorhomes in the UK in a single year. But the writting is on the wall for our way of life, just glad I'll not be around to see the end of it.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
So i assume your site is free to stay on then Roger if people buy fuel and stuff from the local shops

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
So i assume your site is free to stay on then Roger if people buy fuel and stuff from the local shops
Gerry I never commented on them charging for parking I don't have a problem with that, basically they just don't want motorhomes there. whilst I do wild park I have no real objection to paying just never found the need.
If people want sites, water and dump on site then of course we expect to pay. I am not and never have been anti site. as to talk of banning motorhomes from using single track roads, don't see the point. One of the best parts of our Scottish trip this year was on a single track road. Us Devon drivers are used to them. People who stay at my place generally get running repairs done for free, I don't even charge for the diesel to run the generator. I also supply loads of other bits and bobs for free. so don't try and lay a guilt trip on me.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, i agree with roger. mind i stopped going to france as its become so expensive there. might be free to park ,but buying things aint cheap. i now take the ferry to spain. its cheaper than the diesel through france. i used to like france a few years ago.
as for the highlands and islands ,stuff em.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Firstly i wasn't trying to put a guilt trip on you Roger. I agree about the single track roads but surely if people in motorhomes started parking in the passing places on the single track roads in Devon then you too would be a bit pi** off.

As for the parking or camping depends what you want to call it i like you enjoy wild camping, obviously everyone is not like us who do it responsibly and this is more likely the cuase of the upset than the amount of campervans. I personally dont mind paying a few pound to stay the night somewhere and if thats what the islanders want to do and we want to see the island then thats a choice we can make. When in manchester recently they wanted £15 to park my car for the day so islanders are doing it on the cheap:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Going back to the ones who spoil it i know from talking to you that you put a good bit of work into your little site and it also bothered you that folk where just using it to turn round when first opened. I am sure it would annoy you even more if they parked on the grass verge outside it for the night. So how do you think the islanders would feel if they provide these facilites and people just abuse them by ignoring them.

We have used many aires while in France and think they are wonderful but even a lot of them are charging now. When we are on holiday if we stay at an aire or wildcamp we tend to use the money we saved on fees to spend in that local area we feel its like getting something for nothing bit daft but if you stay free and pay £20 or euro for lunch then its a good deal.

Please dont take this as an attack on you Roger just my opinion

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
trouble is whatever you do in life, wherever you go someone will be at odds with someone else for doing the same thing.There are irresponsible people everywhere in all situations. We cannot get into the habit of penalising everyone for the problems caused by a few. Police the few and make it easier for everyone.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back