ISIL.. Turkey now off the destination list ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Discussions on Morocco prompted me to look at Turkey and as I thought it now considered by the FCO as High Risk... https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey/terrorism

It's certainly off my list .. sadly I think probably for some time to come..

Terrorism
There is a high threat from terrorism. Attacks could be indiscriminate and could affect places visited by foreigners.

Turkey shares a long border with Syria. Thousands of foreign nationals, including some British nationals, have recently used Turkey as a transit route with some joining terrorist groups like ANF (Al Nusra Front) and ISIL (Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant) in Syria. ISIL, although based in Syria and Iraq, have the capacity to carry out attacks in neighbouring countries, including Turkey. Media reports suggest that terrorists could target areas throughout Turkey, including Ankara, Istanbul and areas close to the Syrian border.

Extremist groups in northern Syria have recently targeted border crossings and nearby locations on the Syrian side of the border, including a roadblock leading to the Bab al-Hawa crossing near Reyhanli in Hatay province (in Turkey). In May 2014, a car bomb was detonated at a garage on the Syrian side of the border near the Bab Al-Salameh border crossing point between Turkey and Syria. In March 2014, a Turkish police checkpoint between Adana and Niğde provinces came under fire from a group of foreign extremists who had been based in Syria. Three Turkish nationals were killed.

There is a domestic terrorist presence in the south east of the country, including in Van, Bitlis, Bingol, Elazig, Mus, Batman, Erzincan, Diyarbakir and Agri provinces. But following the launch of talks in December 2012 between the Turkish Government and the PKK (proscribed as a terrorist group in the UK), there has been a marked decline in terrorist activity in the region. A significant number of PKK terrorists have left Turkey as peace talks continue, though the group froze its withdrawal in September 2013.

The anti-western, proscribed terrorist group, THKP/C-Acilciler (Turkish People’s Liberation Party/Front) and the linked DHKP/C (Revolutionary People’s Liberation Front) remain active. In 2013, a DHKP/C suicide bomber targeted the US Embassy in Ankara killing himself and a Turkish security guard.

Between approximately 30 March and 20 April, there are several dates significant to the DHKP/C, starting with the 30 March anniversary of their founding which may have been linked to previous attacks.

Methods of attack have included armed assaults, suicide bombings, car bombings and rocket attacks and improvised explosive devices left in refuse bins, crowded areas and on public transport.

Be vigilant, monitor media reports and keep up to date with the travel advice.

Kidnapping

There is a threat from kidnapping near the Syrian border in Turkey.

Terrorist groups operating in Syria, including those like ISIL who routinely use kidnapping as a tactic, operate in the Syrian border areas. ISIL and other such groups view foreign nationals, including those engaged in humanitarian aid work or journalism, as legitimate targets. If detained, there’s no guarantee that explaining the reason for your presence will serve as protection or secure your safe release.

The long-standing policy of the British government is not to make substantive concessions to hostage takers. The British government considers that paying ransoms and releasing prisoners increases the risk of further hostage taking.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes and it was only the other day i made a comment about folk going to maroc on holiday .
mind who are the terrorists in syria or irac ?
are not IS a bit like the equivalent to the french resistance in the war.
certainly many islamic countries think so.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Difficult to know where to go for the best. It must be playing havoc with the tourism in these countries. Cairo Sharm el sheikh used to draw in the crowds Turkey is a huge tour attraction. I just hope it doesn't cross the Med into southern europe. Cyprus is slap bag in the middle of a hostile region with allied forces being launched from there shores. I wouldn't buy a property there at this time. Where is it all going to end.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The threat is everywhere, lots of arrests in Australia recently because some people were thinking of killing a few random strangers in protest. The Dutch have just warned their soldiers not to wear uniform in public because they have just sent 6 jets to help the Americans. And the late Drummer Lee Rigby probably felt he was safe in London.

The bottom right hand corner of Turkey has long been an area to be careful in, but elsewhere I think if you stayed in campsites and avoided the big cities you would be as safe as anywhere.

The threat assessment for the uk is also currently classed as severe as well. Broken Link Removed

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
The threat is everywhere, lots of arrests in Australia recently because some people were thinking of killing a few random strangers in protest. The Dutch have just warned their soldiers not to wear uniform in public because they have just sent 6 jets to help the Americans. And the late Drummer Lee Rigby probably felt he was safe in London.

The bottom right hand corner of Turkey has long been an area to be careful in, but elsewhere I think if you stayed in campsites and avoided the big cities you would be as safe as anywhere.

The threat assessment for the uk is also currently classed as severe as well. Broken Link Removed
We know this...

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I was in New York this year for the 9/11 commemoration, you would think the place would have been battened down but apart from a couple of armed military in Grand Central station, the city was going about it's business normally. The one thing that is noticeable in the US is how many military personnel there are walking around in uniform, it is something they are proud to do and civilians tend to acknowledge this. A bit like it was here when I was much younger when there was a sailor in baggy pants on every corner.:).

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think if you stayed in campsites and avoided the big cities you would be as safe as anywhere.

could say that about anywhere.. do you want to enjoy a country or stick to 'safe' routes and places.. what about the beaches.. would you say they are safe ? http://www.defend-international.com...ts/c21xo/BB968502-C81E-42D2-B26A-A5520CFAB091

Turkey is the major transit route for those joining and returning from the IS ..

IS are openly recruiting in Turkey.. also Turkey has expressed an unwillingness to allow the United States to launch air strikes from its territory against ISIS. Turkey’s lax border controls have allowed ISIS to make millions by selling black market oil to finance its operations. http://www.thetower.org/1060-newsweek-isis-openly-recruiting-in-turkey/

At the end of the day we all have to make a judgement based on what information we have.. .. I couldn't enjoy a trip if i had to be constantly on high alert and was restricted to camping in camp sites and fearful of visiting cities.. or beaches.

If this were 1938, despite reassurances from Chamberlain , I wouldn't be visiting France..

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I think you're safe in Turkey

They got 40 hostages released a few weeks back - obviously done a deal with Isis - bet there are no US planes attacking from their bases there!!!

God help the Brit hostages after we bomb them tonight......

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
On a slightly different note, I see ISIS (Islamic State of Iraq and Syria) has now become ISIL (Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant) on the Beeb news. Washington Post explains all.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just to fuel the fire further, we drove down the coast of Southern Spain today in the Almeria area. Acres, well more accurately hundreds of square kilometres of plastic green houses and fields. The majority of the workers we saw in the fields looked like North Africans to me. I guess most of them are happy to have a job but we read in a local English language newspaper this week the Russians have banned imports of fruit from Spain and quite a lot of the crop is being destroyed. This could lead to lay-offs and disgruntled workers. Not a good mix if there are a few radicals amongst the workers.

So who's for Southern Spain this winter?

I'm not making light of a difficult situation but my point was I don't think anywhere is totally safe.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Absolutely correct DBK .. nowhere is 100% safe.. not even rural Suffolk... but it's a bit of a stretch of the imagination to turn disgruntled migrant field workers into IS terrorists.. think it might just be a storm in a poly tunnel..

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Just to fuel the fire further, we drove down the coast of Southern Spain today in the Almeria area. Acres, well more accurately hundreds of square kilometres of plastic green houses and fields. The majority of the workers we saw in the fields looked like North Africans to me. I guess most of them are happy to have a job but we read in a local English language newspaper this week the Russians have banned imports of fruit from Spain and quite a lot of the crop is being destroyed. This could lead to lay-offs and disgruntled workers. Not a good mix if there are a few radicals amongst the workers.

So who's for Southern Spain this winter?

I'm not making light of a difficult situation but my point was I don't think anywhere is totally safe.
That's a silly quote.we know places arnt safe but u just got to use your nut..

Peter_n_Margaret

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Funster No
MH
"C" class 4WD DIY
Exp
About 20 years
We spent 10 weeks in Turkey in 2013 and travelled through the SE corner.
We wild camped everywhere (there are not many camping sites to be found), but we did stay at the back of hotels and service stations in that part of the country.
Turkey was a highlight of our travels.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We spent 10 weeks in Turkey in 2013 and travelled through the SE corner.
We wild camped everywhere (there are not many camping sites to be found), but we did stay at the back of hotels and service stations in that part of the country.
Turkey was a highlight of our travels.

that was 2013 ...

the security situation for Westerners in Turkey and in particular SE Turkey, is deteriorating daily .. anyone who visits there in a camper van needs their head examined.. hopefully before they lose it.

Peter_n_Margaret

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Funster No
MH
"C" class 4WD DIY
Exp
About 20 years
Yes, it was 2013 and in that year we chose not to go to Istanbul because of the riots there.
A month earlier or a month later and it may have been fine.
The point is situations change rapidly and it is important to be aware of what is happening wherever you go, and that includes places that might normally be considered "safe".

The Australian Government provides a subscription service for Ozi travellers. We choose the countries we want information about and we get sent updated information be email as situations change.
Broken Link Removed
Is there an equivalent for UK citizens?

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The Australian Government provides a subscription service for Ozi travellers. We choose the countries we want information about and we get sent updated information be email as situations change.
Broken Link Removed
Is there an equivalent for UK citizens?

No UK subscription site that I am aware of..
we have up to date Foreign Travel Advice advice on the Gov FOC site

Peatmoor

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Matlock Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Premium Liner
Exp
Since 1986
Eastern Turkey is the problem. Knowing West and South West Turkey fairly well, (From Istanbul down to Kemer along the South coast), You will be far away from the troubles, I for one would not worry at all about touring that particular region during the present Syrian troubles. There is enough of interest there to keep an explorer happy for a month or so !

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
You never know what can happen in any country. Most of the waiters and hotel staff in Turkey are Kurds and they class themselves as being oppressed by Turkey. Only needs an impressionable youth anywhere in the world to kick off trouble in the name of Islam.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Discussions on Morocco prompted me to look at Turkey and as I thought it now considered by the FCO as High Risk... https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey/terrorism

It's certainly off my list .. sadly I think probably for some time to come..

Terrorism
There is a high threat from terrorism. Attacks could be indiscriminate and could affect places visited by foreigners.

Turkey shares a long border with Syria. Thousands of foreign nationals, including some British nationals, have recently used Turkey as a transit route with some joining terrorist groups like ANF (Al Nusra Front) and ISIL (Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant) in Syria. ISIL, although based in Syria and Iraq, have the capacity to carry out attacks in neighbouring countries, including Turkey. Media reports suggest that terrorists could target areas throughout Turkey, including Ankara, Istanbul and areas close to the Syrian border.

Extremist groups in northern Syria have recently targeted border crossings and nearby locations on the Syrian side of the border, including a roadblock leading to the Bab al-Hawa crossing near Reyhanli in Hatay province (in Turkey). In May 2014, a car bomb was detonated at a garage on the Syrian side of the border near the Bab Al-Salameh border crossing point between Turkey and Syria. In March 2014, a Turkish police checkpoint between Adana and Niğde provinces came under fire from a group of foreign extremists who had been based in Syria. Three Turkish nationals were killed.

There is a domestic terrorist presence in the south east of the country, including in Van, Bitlis, Bingol, Elazig, Mus, Batman, Erzincan, Diyarbakir and Agri provinces. But following the launch of talks in December 2012 between the Turkish Government and the PKK (proscribed as a terrorist group in the UK), there has been a marked decline in terrorist activity in the region. A significant number of PKK terrorists have left Turkey as peace talks continue, though the group froze its withdrawal in September 2013.

The anti-western, proscribed terrorist group, THKP/C-Acilciler (Turkish People’s Liberation Party/Front) and the linked DHKP/C (Revolutionary People’s Liberation Front) remain active. In 2013, a DHKP/C suicide bomber targeted the US Embassy in Ankara killing himself and a Turkish security guard.

Between approximately 30 March and 20 April, there are several dates significant to the DHKP/C, starting with the 30 March anniversary of their founding which may have been linked to previous attacks.

Methods of attack have included armed assaults, suicide bombings, car bombings and rocket attacks and improvised explosive devices left in refuse bins, crowded areas and on public transport.

Be vigilant, monitor media reports and keep up to date with the travel advice.

Kidnapping

There is a threat from kidnapping near the Syrian border in Turkey.

Terrorist groups operating in Syria, including those like ISIL who routinely use kidnapping as a tactic, operate in the Syrian border areas. ISIL and other such groups view foreign nationals, including those engaged in humanitarian aid work or journalism, as legitimate targets. If detained, there’s no guarantee that explaining the reason for your presence will serve as protection or secure your safe release.

The long-standing policy of the British government is not to make substantive concessions to hostage takers. The British government considers that paying ransoms and releasing prisoners increases the risk of further hostage taking.

we lived thought the IRA indiscriminate bombing of the uk there is a risk crossing the road.
did it stop me visiting and working both in northern Ireland or the republic NO

if you stop traveling they have won it's not going to stop me but I will be following the FCO advice to arias off concern not going to be trying to cross the border or go near to Syria any time soon
did we stop visiting
London
Manchester
Belfast
Leeds
Brighton
or any where whar a bombing atrocity happened NO
STAY CALM AND CARRY ON
Just a bit of common sense that's all
bill

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
There is no right or wrong Bill.. just travel choices we all make.

I do risk assessment, take advice from wherever I can find it, and make a judgement.. some will see it worth the risk , others not.
Same goes for Morocco.. both now off my list for the foreseeable future.

That is what this forum and this thread is all about.. providing information.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
There is no right or wrong Bill.. just travel choices we all make.

I do risk assessment, take advice from wherever I can find it, and make a judgement.. some will see it worth the risk , others not.
Same goes for Morocco.. both now off my list for the foreseeable future.

That is what this forum and this thread is all about.. providing information.
It's a informed choice Jim(y)

Peatmoor

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Matlock Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Premium Liner
Exp
Since 1986
[QUOTE="canopus, post: 1165850, member: 14552"]You never know what can happen in any country.

I agree, you never know what can happen in any country, whilst I was parked in the evening time at the Southern end sea front car park (pay and display) next to the motorhome stop in Skegness, I had a most worrying time whilst under siege from a gang of teens to twenty something idiots in fast cars trying their best not to crash their cars into our motorhome whilst racing around the car park and intentionally spraying our motorhome with gravel. This is not the only experience of this kind that we have endured in the UK, 'pretty dodgy country eh!!

Jun 7, 2013
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Transit self built
Exp
Since 2014
I'm currently on my way home, slowly, after attending Gallipoli for the centenary of the Allied invasion. I did not have passes required for the actual ceremonies and "wild camped" throughout the week I was in the area. The night before the ceremonies I got moved on by the police at 0130 and, stupidly, went out into the sticks to a spot I had noticed just off the road in the national park. I eventually went back to bed at about 0230 and decided not to set the alarm as I had spent the last few days driving from the UK and was knackered. At 1000 I was woken by the security forces and had to follow them out of the "prohibited area" I had stopped in. Having passed armed soldiers patrolling the roads, my escort and I arrived at a heavily manned road block and I was instructed to proceed in a certain direction. I moved off twenty yards and stopped, got in the back and started undressing.

One of the officers from the roadblock walked over and, not seeing me in the cab, knocked on the side door. I opened it and carried on removing my one-cy. With a grin on my face. Said officer nearly collapsed - laughing his head off, and wandered back to the roadblock.

I had no real problems whatsoever. My self inflicted rule is never to stay in the same place two nights running. Even twenty yards will do, although I tend to make it a bit further than that.

I would not say western Turkey is dangerous. the people I met were all very friendly. Having said all that, if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time................

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back