Is your Motorhome Killing You?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jim, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

In the US some are worried about Formaldehyde and the RV's Industry Association has opened a website dedicated to it.

I have copied the FAQ and pasted it below, for an indepth look you can go to The website

2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Were do I get fresh unpoluted non contaminated air from Jim:Doh:
    Geo

3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Come to Wales mate, we got lots of the stuff, very bracing it is too:Smile:

4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

You'll be telling me they got a Rugby team next:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

5. moandick

moandick Read Only Funster

Oooooh, ouch, Careful Geo, tread careful - those eggshells have razor edges. :shout::shout:

6. TJ-RV

TJ-RV Deleted User

It's a big issue for some folks Jim, causing burning eyes &/or breathing problems.

The advice we pass along is to leave windows and vents open for as long as it takes to get that smell and irritant out of the RV. It appears to be exacerbated when outside (and therefore inside) temperatures rise significantly. If you enter a very hot new trailer that hasn't been vented, it hits you like a wet blanket.

By far the largest number of complaints has come from the occupants of the emergency trailers (caravans) provided to people displaced from their homes in the south as a result of Katrina. Huge numbers of trailers were produced in a very short space of time and all kinds of compromises were made.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2008
  7. TJ-RV

TJ-RV Deleted User

When I was growing up near the steel town of Port Talbot, a comedian on the local radio one day said:

"This is the only place in the country where you wake up in the morning and hear the birds coughing" :BigGrin:

Folks in California complain about the smog but, when we had Californian visitors to South Wales, I'd drive them past the steel plant and ask "what have you got to complain about?"

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2008
  8. RockieRV

RockieRV Deleted User

One of the major concerns about formaldehyde (also known as formalin in the uk) is that it has been listed as a possible carcinogen for many years. (You may remember asbestos was also on this same list for decades).

It has a very distinct pungent odour - if you ever did biology at school pre-1980's it was the liquid preservative used for tissue and animal samples.

As I understand it though, an older vehicle has no formaldehyde present, as it has vented off over the years.......

9. TJ-RV

TJ-RV Deleted User

Rockie,

I didn't take biology or chemistry but, based purely on observation, your understanding is correct.

However, there also appears to be a big difference between new RVs, apparently due to different materials &/or construction techniques.

10. TJ-RV

TJ-RV Deleted User

For similar reasons, we advise folks not to use any chemicals in their RV toilet; The formaldehyde inhibits the course of nature.

11. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

An RVers greatest exposure to formaldehyde is probably due to the use of propriety toilet chemicals which are mainly formaldehyde based.

12. RockieRV

RockieRV Deleted User

Interestingly, when we got our Fleetwood Flair (which from memory is about ten years old) it still had the manufacturers warning sticker attached to the mirror warning of the dangers of formaldhehyde.

I am now curious to know if new and newish European motorhomes also have this warning, and if not, does that mean there is no presence of formaldehyde in these vehicles.
    My guess is that legislation in the States on this type of hazard is vastly different to European regs.

But stickered or not, it is still a concern:Sad:

13. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Too right Brian.

The Blue (I won't name it) stuff definately is.!!!!!:Eeek:Just don't lose a bolt down there and start fishing about for it.:RollEyes::Rofl1:

14. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Just don't lose a bolt down there and start fishing about for it.

Wouldnt dream of doing that Steve, I leave that sort of job to Pam and her marigolds. :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

15. American Dream

Ouch I hope she isn't sitting reading this on her new Laptop.:RollEyes:

BTW is it made in China? Can't recall whether HP have their manufacturing over there.:Blush:

16. American Dream

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  17. Lindy-C

Lindy-C Deleted User

Contrary to popular belief there are now far more products that are formaldehyde free than contain/ give off the stuff. If they can find alternatives for loo treatments then why not adhesives?

18. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I was told years ago that the "new car smell" that we all enjoy is a dangerous cocktail of chemicals. That's why I wont buy Sian a new car. I love her too much:BigGrin:

19. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

And it's formaldehyde that causes hangovers!

The best cure for the overproduction of formaldehyde after a session? A dose of alcohol!

It's a win-win situation :Rofl1: