Free Member
Feb 5, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
New
We are new to motor homing and loving it so much and would love to head off to sunnier climes next year. I just wondered how easy it is to get a ferry crossing for a motorhome and is it huge costs?

I know it's a vague question but one of those where you start asking to build a picture

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
ferry crossings or the tunnel crossing are usually cheaper the earlier you book them, getting dearer the nearer the time you want to travel just like budget flights.
If you shop at Tesco you can collect points which in turn can become travel vouchers for use on the tunnel therefore saving you money there, i think you get 3x the amount when you change points for travel vouchers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
It's very easy and is great FUN....

Ferry tickets can be bought at very reasonable prices, look online, some Funsters use Tesco vouchers. Also look out for special offer codes often posted on here by other friendly Funsters.

For example we got a return crossing with a 7m+ van, 2 adults, 2 kids, Dover - Dunkirk, school summer holidays, decent day time crossings, 3 weeks away...... all for £58 return...

Go on now.......You know you want to......:Cool::Cool:

Callum.

Upvote 0

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
hi its not so much the ferries that cost money ,? its the price of fuel if your travelling say to spain or italy.or even further a field .:Cool:

Upvote 0

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
I'd never driven abroad prior to getting the motorhome, so on our first trip to France I intended to tootle around the north of the country just to build confidence. However the weather was atrocious and looking at the forecast the southern half was basking in sunshine, so I ended up driving all day and most of the night to end up on the Atlantic coast looking across to Spain and basking in 27 deg C sunshine in October. It literally takes only 30 minutes to get the hang of it and then there's no looking back.
Geoff.:thumb:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
one tip I was given a long time ago......

when driving in Europe, make a bright coloured card to sit on the dash or clip to the steering wheel saying 'DRIVE ON THE RIGHT'

when you set off from an overnight stop on a campsite/Aire it is so very easy to forget and drive on the 'proper' side at first....especially on very quiet roads.

I also made another saying 'TV Aerial up' and place that on the wheel as well...so easy to forget that too.

cheapest ferries are usually late at night/very early morning

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
You will soon get the hang of it, one thing you will notice is the lack of traffic compared to here in the UK, obviously you get it in the major cities/towns. The N roads are good and the toll rolls are great with very light traffic but they cost

A good satnav helps giving you one less thing to think about.

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I live in France and travel back and forth to the UK (always by car in the past but bought a motorhome in January)
Get a good sat nav. Invaluable in France where there are so many roads!
I echo either a card or some other signal (ribbon tied to steering wheel) to remind you to stay on the right hand side of the road. Always pause exiting side roads, garages etc.. to check you pull onto the right. I've lived here almost 5 years and still check occasionally.

Getting on to the ferry (and off) is just as easy in a motorhome as it is a car. Don't let that worry you as if I can do it, anyone can.

Yes, fuel's pricey but you can stop in lots of beautiful places, many free of charge. no hotels to pay for.
I parked at the edge of a lake for 2 nights last week, one other motorhome only, no hassle, peace and quiet.

You can park in most supermarket car parks easily for shopping and most villages have a central car park.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Easier than in England, there are lots of places to park, and comparatively little traffic on the roads. They do drive on the wrong side of the road mind. I have a card in front of the steering wheels which says France Kerb and an arrow on one side and England kerb and an arrow on the other, because after becoming habitualised to driving on the right in France its easy to come back and drive on the wrong side as well.
Below that is a check list, worktops, Sat dish, Step. Because if like me your memory is not always up to par tis best to check these things before setting off. fuel is still a little cheaper over there, meat expencive, sausages and FB pies hard to find, hee hee. So make sure you take your favourite foods out and bring your favourite wines/beers back, simple really.
ferry seems to be about £62, and tunnel totally hassle free and quick, from £72 each way depending on the time of day. I would not travel any other way now and they accept TESCO travel vouchers with a 3-1 exchange rate so works out cheaper than the ferry.

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we have found

We have been taking motor homes and RV;s to Europe now for 25 years.

Our current RV and car trailer (45' long) costs on the tunnel £303 return including the dog which is £30 of the fare.. That is for June out and back... we tend to book that trip in November to get a good rate.. the later trip in September we leave to nearer the time. We find the tunnel very easy to use.. others may prefer the ships.. but it is faster via the tunnel and no rough seas.

Roads in France tend to be better than ours, lower volumes of traffic. you can get about using the National roads just as well as the toll roads.. the tolls are a killer for us, as we get charged as a truck.. so we tend to use the nationals. OK towns can be a challenge sometimes, but you see more and lots more stopping places .. need to get the ACIS book that gives good discounts on camping sites out of the main season (which is July and August in the main) .. ADAC cover for breakdown etc., valid in the UK as well (German 7m members uses the AA in the UK..lots cheaper than AA).

Go for it, once you have done it you will wonder what all the fuss is about.

Bob

Upvote 0

Enjoy_Yourself

Free Member
Jul 1, 2010
Pontypool, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Cheapest crossing is obviously from Dover to Calais unless you are in the South West where it might work out cheaper (just) to go from Plymouth or Poole. Prices vary and there is plenty of advice on this forum about how to get the best one.

Using your motorhome really comes into its own when you get on "the other side" and the driving is easier than the UK once you have got over the shock of being where the passenger should be. My advice, for what its worth, just book up and go. It's warmer, less crowded and motorhome friendly. What's not to like!

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Once you've been "across the water" you'll wonder why you ever worried..I used to place a sticker on the centre right hand side of the screen saying DRIVE ON THE RIGHT simple but effective..there are some you can buy that you can stick on the screen and they are reversible...for when you come back...(I'm sure someone will place a link on this thread!!!

As for ferry crossings I've used from time to time a company in Dover called Dover Eurochange...http://www.dovereurochange.co.uk a good firm to use..you can call in or ring them and do any transactions over the phone 01304 210949 Hope this helps..have fun when you go "Over The Water"

Upvote 0

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Go For It

As regards driving on the right I've never struggled - only time you have to be alert is when pulling out onto really quiet roads with no traffic, then it is quite easy to start driving on the 'wrong' side!

I have driven many times abroad and find it easier now thanks to Sat Nav. Go ahead and book, you'll love it.

Rob :Smile:

Upvote 0

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Second all the above. :thumb:

I would just add that in Europe there are rules that we don't have in the UK.

For example:
You must carry a set of spare lamps
You must have a high viz jacket for each occupant of the vehicle
You must have a warning triangle (2 in Spain) and know where to put it/them if you need to use it/them
You must have a couple of breathalyser kits
If you wear glasses to drive, you must have a spare pair (Spain)

There are others so it's a really good idea to check what you have and what you need.

Oh yes, you must fit beam benders even if you don't plan to travel at night.

But don't let any of it put you off. Once you have the required kit, it's good for life (until they change the rules :Doh:).

John

Upvote 0

adriacoral

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Really easy....book a ferry one way, dover to calais is cheapest, dont have a plan, just let it happen....We never plan a route just have an idea of where wed like to end up!!! dont use toll motorways on way down through france ,see the countryside....use Aires cus they are cheap, when you feel ready to make the journey north and home, take laptop into macdonalds and book ferry home!!! if we can do it anyone can!!!:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
hi its not so much the ferries that cost money ,? its the price of fuel if your travelling say to spain or italy.or even further a field .:Cool:

Silk cut....at the moment the fuel / Diesel is around 1.35 euros per ltr....at the exchange rate of around 1.20.........that means Diesel works out at about...£1.12...to...£1.13 per ltr..::bigsmile::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: now don't you all rush over here at once:Cool::ROFLMAO::winky:

Mel

Upvote 0

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
We paid £81 return on DFDS plus £30 for the dog. The continent is just wonderful to drive on and parking is no problem whatsoever. You can park at any supermarket or layby. Some might say this isn't safe but we've had no problems at all. In fact, although it is pushing the budget a bit, I really fancy heading to Bavaria in September. Speak to John10P who went for the first time last year. He was a bit worried about it but now he can't wait to go back again. Do go for it, you'll just love it. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Have been to, and driven in, France many times, but last month's long weekend was the first time in The Beast. Great fun! When you're looking for them, you see signs relating to camping cars all over the place - the French really like them, far more than here it seems. We tried an aire for the first time, and a campsite, then the last night in a car park in Boulogne. Brilliant - we'd seen a next of camping cars there when passing through and managed to find it again. Next to the Port de Plaisance if anyone's interested - an old coach park I'm guessing, but very secluded and the Old Town just a step up the hill.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi.i agree with the above .play a game no toll roads .no motorways .try to stay off duall carriageways . try to only drive on normal two lane roads . visit as many villages as you can. stop enjoy the beauty .
or follow the sea .try to be on the road closest to the sea.
france is fantastic .
off the ferry turn left follow the sea come back inland . drive slowly .its the way to do it.

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
he means turn right

hi.i agree with the above .play a game no toll roads .no motorways .try to stay off duall carriageways . try to only drive on normal two lane roads . visit as many villages as you can. stop enjoy the beauty .
or follow the sea .try to be on the road closest to the sea.
france is fantastic .
off the ferry turn left follow the sea come back inland . drive slowly .its the way to do it.

I think he means turn right... left will have you in Belgium before that long... and who wants to be there? France is much better.. so turn right.. the North coast has a lot to offer, or just head in land and follow you nose... just avoid Paris... and also the French school holidays.. but it is a great place to visit most of the rest of the time.. or go left and head down the West side of France and in to Spain...

Whatever you do go and try it.

Bob

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I have to agree with all that has been said. It's much better across the channel, less traffic, less 'rip off' ,beautiful countryside and villages. We stay on Aires more than caravan sites - much more practical. Driving on the right isn't a real problem and doesn't take long to adjust to it. I think the biggest barrier is fear of the unknown but once you do it you won't regret it. Recently booked ferry Dover - Dunkirk for £39 via Caravan Club if that helps with an idea of cost (we'll book a return sailing when ready to come home rather than worrying about a schedule)

It is really easy to go as you please touring from town to town as the mood takes you. It's what motorhomes are made for!

Wyn

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi bob. you are right .dont know my left from my right. hee hee .but even going lefty will be another adventure and the same rules apply. the urge to explore is the main thing . you arent ever lost .just not sure where you are. use a compass go west .bound to find the coast then up or down you soon find out where you are. have fun and drive slowly .
there is another game called how slow can we go today. its great fun.

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Bear in mind that you will need to make allowance for the fact that supplies of bottled gas abroad are different from one country to another. You won't get Calor gas so will need to get a French gas bottle AND regulator. We use one of these:

Link Removed

and find them very convenient. You can get your gas at the petrol stations (usually at most supermarkets).

Wyn

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back