Is this what happens when 'wild campers' aren't considerate? (1 Viewer)

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
P1040038 copy.jpg

I've often wondered just exactly 'No Overnight Parking' meant. :)

KH

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
That is a step to far that may bite them in the bum
clearly from such a detailed and informative sign it can be assumed that unless its says you can't, then clearly you can! whatever it is you have in mind

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Negative lot on Iona, why don't they just say NO Tourists!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That is a step to far that may bite them in the bum
clearly from such a detailed and informative sign it can be assumed that unless its says you can't, then clearly you can! whatever it is you have in mind
Surely not parking a car though? :Eeek:

Seriously, it probably reflects all the restrictions in the parking order and is probably in detail because too many people say (i.e. pretend and lie) that they don't know the difference between parking and camping, or think that they are so important that restrictions don't apply to them :Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Iona .. like any other place welcomes tourist, who are vital for the economy

Iona .. like any other place doesn't want freeloaders.

How many visit these islands by motorhome and pay not a penny into the local economy.. they want free camping, free facilities and come with a van stuffed full of food from a mainland supermarket.. Is it any wonder they are not welcome.. ?

When people ask about visiting Scotland I've often suggested staying on a site for a few nights and buying local.. only to be told.. you can free camp anywhere in Scotland..

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Maybe the sign would have been nicer if it was headed.
"Iona Welcomes Tourists"
Then the list of negatives

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I see that there is a 1.5 ton weight limit for the car park. Could it simply be that the car park isn't suitable for heavy vehicles and the rest of it is just for the benefit of the idiots who think such restrictions don't apply to them? That sort of moron normally needs things explaining very slowly using simple words.

OP
OP
Photo4x4

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
When people ask about visiting Scotland I've often suggested staying on a site for a few nights and buying local.. only to be told.. you can free camp anywhere in Scotland
Which of course you can't, but it has turned into some sort of motorhomers urban myth. Yes there are less restrictions than in England but you can't legally just park overnight anywhere.

BTW Iona was a very friendly place and we also did the boat trip out to Staffa and Fingal's Cave - very highly recommended.

Anyway, one picture does not tell the whole story. :)

There is a large and 'legal' car park about 200 yards away where you can park your motorhome. There is also a brilliant (and cheap) campsite right next to a beach with stunning views and clean white sand just about 4 miles away.

The car park subject of the 'comprehensive' sign is for the ferry, including coaches and , and is FREE, however obviously at some time there has been a problem with inconsiderate parking, hence the need for the sign.

P1030967 copy.jpg
P1040029 copy.jpg

KH

Last edited:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Maybe one who's had to clean up after some idiot that thinks they have a god given right to park wherever they like and then leave a load of mess behind when they leave.
Oh no @NickNic , he won't be the cleaner sat in his office in a suit.it will be some other council worker .And I'm not condoning it for a minute , I hate to see any litter and dumping by any Scroats !( and have cleared others crap up if necessary although fag buts I leave but hate.)

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Which of course you can't, but it has turned into some sort of motorhomers urban myth. Yes there are less restrictions than in England but you can't legally just park overnight anywhere.

BTW Iona was a very friendly place and we also did the boat trip out to Staffa and Fingal's Cave - very highly recommended.

Anyway, one picture does not tell the whole story. :)

There is a large and 'legal' car park about 200 yards away where you can park your motorhome. There is also a brilliant (and cheap) campsite right next to a beach with stunning views and clean white sand just about 4 miles away.

The car park subject of the 'comprehensive' sign is for the ferry, including coaches and busses, and is FREE, however obviously at some time there has been a problem with inconsiderate parking, hence the need for the sign.

KH
Thanks KH that paints a much better picture, you cant beat the full story in these cases.

Martin

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Well.... By the time you've parked gone to read the extensive list they will have done you for parking anyway as it took so long!
Which jobs worth thought of all those things ?
It won't be any "jobsworth". The sign reflects the restrictions which exist in most car park orders and are there to protect the purpose of the car park from those who think it is there for whatever is their convenience :)
I see that there is a 1.5 ton weight limit for the car park. Could it simply be that the car park isn't suitable for heavy vehicles and the rest of it is just for the benefit of the idiots who think such restrictions don't apply to them? That sort of moron normally needs things explaining very slowly using simple words.
Many car parks (especially ones originally built many years ago) were not constructed for heavier vehicles - and you're right about the idiots (not only motorhomers, many height barriers are in place to stop drivers of Transits and the like who don't know the weight of their vehicles).

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just a thought.. being a bit of a devils advocate ..........

Iona .. like any other place doesn't want freeloaders.

How many visit these islands by motorhome and pay not a penny into the local economy.. they want free camping, free facilities and come with a van stuffed full of food from a mainland supermarket.. Is it any wonder they are not welcome.. ?

Is Iona a self governing and financing island that has zero support from the mainland ?

If it is then the above is a fair comment..
If it is not then anyone driving a motorhome ( or indeed any vehicle ) does pay and is not free loading

We all pay considerable taxes in the form of VEL's and fuel tax.
Part of that tax is used in environmental support across the UK.. the WHOLE of the UK

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger

I'm not saying some or many don't contribute to the local economy Jim...but most of the 'Wild Camping' folk we've met in our travels around Scotland and the Isles do make a good contribution in the local shops eating and drinking establishments and not forgetting the numerous distilleries! Part of the pleasure for us is sampling local produce.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Just a thought.. being a bit of a devils advocate ..........

Is Iona a self governing and financing island that has zero support from the mainland ?

If it is then the above is a fair comment..
If it is not then anyone driving a motorhome ( or indeed any vehicle ) does pay and is not free loading

We all pay considerable taxes in the form of VEL's and fuel tax.
Part of that tax is used in environmental support across the UK.. the WHOLE of the UK

You wouldn't be able to take your MH onto Iona. I believe that only residents can take their vehicles on the ferry.

The car park in question is narrow and easy to congest with insconsiderate parking. There aren't many spaces but there are loads of people trying to get across - it is busy especially at the start or end of the day. There is loads of parking a short walk from this quayside carpark.

... Written at the same time as @scotjimland's post

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I would also add that my first job when I wildcamp is collect all the litter left by the cars which bob in and out all night throwing their Costa coffee cups, chip papers, MacDonald food wrappers and condoms out of their windows ...(I don't remove the condoms) ... and plastic doggy bags ... There is usually a waste bin and a doogy bin close by. Motorhomers IMO are some of the most environmentally aware people around. .

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Not this ferry but one very similar on a dark and dismal night we stopped to eat a Chinese takeaway that we had purchased. We pulled onto some wasteland eat our Chinese then somehow fell asleep. We woke up to a hell of a noise someone in oilskins banging on the window demanding that we move forward onto the ferry. The place was packed with cars so on we went. Good move as we included Dunoon in our travel itinerary .
The moral of this tale is be careful when you park on dark and empty car parks.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The 30cwt limit is from the original wording of the Road Traffic Act 1988 which has since been revised but many local authority regulations still refer to this limit for Motor Cars. It has nothing to do with the ability of the car park surface to take the weight of the vehicle as this is often applied to un-surfaced car parks also.

If applied by the book many larger modern cars and people carriers would be barred. However it is often only Motor Caravans that get ticketed for parking on these restricted car parks.

This is the updated wording:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/185
Road Traffic Act 1988
185 Meaning of “motor vehicle” and other expressions relating to vehicles.

"motor car” means a mechanically propelled vehicle, not being a motor cycle or an invalid carriage, which is constructed itself to carry a load or passengers and the weight of which unladen—

(a)if it is constructed solely for the carriage of passengers and their effects, is adapted to carry not more than seven passengers exclusive of the driver and is fitted with tyres of such type as may be specified in regulations made by the Secretary of State, does not exceed 3050 kilograms,

Here is an anomaly from the same section
“heavy motor car” means a mechanically propelled vehicle, not being a motor car, which is constructed itself to carry a load or passengers and the weight of which unladen exceeds 2540 kilograms,

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We pulled onto some wasteland eat our Chinese then somehow fell asleep
a similar story.

My first wife and I were touring France by car and camping.. One night it was too late and we were too tired to find a camp sit so we parked up in the quiet village of Ramatuelle.. got out heads down.. z

awakened in the morning to a lot of noise, someone was banging on the roof.. found ourselves surrounded by people and a market in full swing.. windows of car were running with condensation.. and it was hot.. never forget it..

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
according to the definitions i have here
a motor car if adapted for the carriage of goods ,has an unladen weight not exceeding 3,050 kg but other wise not exceeding 2,540 kg

a heavy motor car is a veihicle constructed to carry passengers or goods with an unladen exceeding 2,540 kg. .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
usually in france there wi9ll be a notice saying when the market will be using that place .
but you arent alone jim , it happened to us in pontchateau years ago. they were friendly and we actually used to go back there alot . but not stop on the market place the night before the market.
i think that instance actually let us make more friends as they laughed at us about it .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The 30cwt limit is from the original wording of the Road Traffic Act 1988 which has since been revised but many local authority regulations still refer to this limit for Motor Cars. It has nothing to do with the ability of the car park surface to take the weight of the vehicle as this is often applied to un-surfaced car parks also.

If applied by the book many larger modern cars and people carriers would be barred. However it is often only Motor Caravans that get ticketed for parking on these restricted car parks.

This is the updated wording:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/185
Road Traffic Act 1988
185 Meaning of “motor vehicle” and other expressions relating to vehicles.

"motor car” means a mechanically propelled vehicle, not being a motor cycle or an invalid carriage, which is constructed itself to carry a load or passengers and the weight of which unladen—

(a)if it is constructed solely for the carriage of passengers and their effects, is adapted to carry not more than seven passengers exclusive of the driver and is fitted with tyres of such type as may be specified in regulations made by the Secretary of State, does not exceed 3050 kilograms,

“heavy motor car” means a mechanically propelled vehicle, not being a motor car, which is constructed itself to carry a load or passengers and the weight of which unladen exceeds 2540 kilograms,
That is perfectly correct, John, but it is a fact that many car parks are not built to take regular use by vehicles weighing more than 2 tonnes. Mostly old car parks but I can recall a couple being built only about 15 years or so ago where the limit was 2 tonnes to save the extra cost of stronger foundations.

As regards ticketing, I explored this some years ago when I was first building my web site. Some authorities don't apply the restriction by the book as long as the vehicle is parked responsibly. Others only ticket vehicles (vans &c as well as motorhomes) which are obviously over weight because their employees have no way of knowing what the weight of a particular car is.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.

Our 10.5t RV is MOT'd as a class4 heavy motor car. :)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
So how do you get on parking a Bentley or a Rolls Royce, both weigh more than 1.whatever tons?

Only noticed yesterday a Car Park in Falmouth has an instruction "No Eating in vehicle"
and opposite? a posh chippie and a couple of well known take aways

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back