Is this safe or not?????

Discussion in 'Top Tips & Tricks' started by teknik155, Nov 26, 2015.

1. teknik155

teknik155 Funster

Found this on ebay and wondered what you all thought about this. I'm not sure how to do this but this is the ebay item number 171798061808 i believe if you paste this into ebay search it will come up .its title is,
    Outdoor Gas Flat Cylinder Tank Camping Propane Refill Inflatable Adapter

I think this is bloody dangerous
    What do you think

• Like Like x 1
  2. Allanm

Allanm Funster

He's sold 53, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole though. Bound to be no proper safety markings if it's come straight from China

• Like Like x 1
  3. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

VERY DANGEROUS!!!!! It uses thin clear plastic pipe to connect the two cylinders, propane is stored at about 100 psi. It won't work either, the best you could hope for would be to half fill the second cylinder.....................eventually, and we're talking after several days if not longer, not that the pipe would last that long.

D.

• Like Like x 2
  4. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

If you buy one please can you make sure you aren't ever parked next to me when you use it. Thank you (y)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

IMHO to use that to fill non refillable cartridges is probably the most dangerous thing I have seen in many a year - how can you guarantee the correct fill amount to allow correct gassing of the fluid ?

6. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

You would have to turn the big cylinder upside-down I think to get the liquid gas out. Is it dangerous? Done in the middle of a field the filling operation itself, if it worked, should be reasonably safe although you would get a few whiffs of the gas when connecting and uncoupling. The dangerous aspects I think are the quality of the new fitting on the big cylinder and how long the valve on the little cylinder would last. Those cylinders are designed for one use only and then be disposed of. Start reusing them and they might fail while being stored or transported.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I don't advocate this practice for a single moment, the possible threat to life and limb does not equate to any possible cost savings, however
    It looks like biased unfounded opinions and some scaremongering are being banded about as fact. So lets put it into some sort of perspective.

If you fully understand the science, take all required precautions, inspect the materials to be used, it seems it could be done safely.

I don't follow Dave's assumption that the pipe is fish tank air pipe because its clear, there are many high pressure clear pipes available
    or that it will take Days???? You did mean seconds Dave didn't you? or are you confusing this kit with your home made Whisky Distillery;)

I don't agree that because there appears to be no clear safety markings it is automatically unsafe. Clear and fully marked equipment has killed many a fool!
    I don't agree that because it's Chinese it's dangerous, masses of very safe equipment has a Chinese origin or parts.

I'm old skool, Im also an ex smoking survivor of Butane filled cigarette lighters and filling tanks, quantities are less, risk is the same
    (this e bay kit has far better sealing properties than any of the former)
    I've also filled and or decanted my own petrol from tank to tank for years, and killed no one, Petrol by the way has a flash point of about 45 Propane is 150
    the higher the number the harder it is to set fire to, but don't be fooled by those numbers.
    its all pretty damn quick to go up when it does go tits up AND IT HURTS when it does.
    Iv'e also seen campers fill a red hot Gennie with petrol and the fire that resulted (See fools above)
    YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
    G

• Like Like x 6
  8. Gromett

Gromett Funster

He does say to turn the big cylinder upside down so liquid would flow. Should only take a short while to get it to transfer.

He tells you to use scales and not to fill over a certain weight..

All that being said. I do agree it is dangerous and not worth the risk.

9. Gromett

Gromett Funster

oops. the time between opening a post and posting means others got their replies in and covered the same ground.

Listen to Geo on this not me (y)

10. bigtree

bigtree Funster

Won't fit a Camping Gaz bottle.:cry:

11. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Looks well made to me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

There is another aspect that no one has picked up on, it is using propane to fill a disposable cartridge..................which was designed for butane storage. Butane is stored as liquid under pressure just like propane is, they are both LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas) but butsane is stored at approx 28 psi and propane at 100 psi, nearly four times the pressure into a thin tin can designed to be used then disposed of.

D.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

not safe but great for making a propane cannon or bomb

• Like Like x 2
  14. chaser

chaser Funster

Why would you want to?

• Like Like x 1
  15. bigtree

bigtree Funster

Found it,it's for filling these,

16. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

As @chaser states why would you want this item in the first place.

17. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

The could be a little bit fatal, couldn't it.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Think this should be brought to the attention of trading standers I have spoken to one in our local office I have sent a link to my local trading standers officer who I know personally
    think every one with concerns on this particular item should do the Sam also reported to eBay

bill

19. POWERPLUS

POWERPLUS Read Only Funster

hi all
    i got a similar adapter from the carboot for 50p early this year
    it was well made

i did try it after reading what to do on youtube but just could not get enough gas into the rotenberger cylinder that i have

you have to pull the safety valve while filling to let the gas out so that i can fill up with liquid gas

i did this but the safety valve got a bit of something behind it and leaked afterwards

in portugal for the winter and we are filling our propane bottles at the local garage

barry