Is this one of the best aires ever???? (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Very nice, certainly better than the 'all in a line' car parks some prefer, just because they are free..

Not all the free ones are like that.

Our favourite Aire(not because it is free) is in a small quiet village alongside a very gentle tree-lined river and with a service point. There is room for 20+ units but we have been there 3 times and have either been alone or with one other MH 40m away. It provides true Solace.

Geoff

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008

Our favourite Aire(not because it is free) is in a small quiet village alongside a very gentle tree-lined river and with a service point. There is room for 20+ units but we have been there 3 times and have either been alone or with one other MH 40m away. It provides true Solace.

Geoff
Sounds idillic Geoff.
I suppose you wouldn't like to let the cat out of the bag and tell us where it is. (y);)

Richard.

Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
Yes, very much so.
Lots of folk there with boats when we were last there at the end of June, including kayaks.
This time I rode into town on my bike for morning croissants from the super bakery. there are also a couple of supermarkets in the town.
A couple of days before we left a bread van called, just in time for breakfast. I assume she only calls in the high season.
Lac de Pareloup is now a firm favourite with us.

Richard.

It's in our favourites now, thanks Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I know it was a tongue in cheek comment.

Recently travelling along the Loire, we found a couple of lovely aires.. mind you we also found some not very lovely (and ignored).

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Many thanks for the video and as you asked for comment here goes. :)

Firstly, I never have the sound turned on when I'm using my tablet in the MH. Mrs DBK is looking at stuff on her's at the moment and I'm looking on mine at my stuff - MHF of course at the moment. But the point is any commentary is lost on me so any useful information such as whether the machine takes UK bank cards is missed. Assuming there is a commentary where this is explained then supplement it with captions, which you have used.

The structure of the video is I think the wrong way round. You've done it more or less chronologically but you need to start with the "wow" factor, the location. The last minute or so of the video is the selling point, the previous umpteen minutes of driving on French roads doesn't add anything, assuming folk are using a satnav to find the place. But if there are things to know about the route there, then add them at the end of the video but heavily edited. For example, a village close by with a narrow bridge or misleading junctions with priorité à droite you need to be careful of at the end of a drive.

Even if the aire isn't anything special I would still suggest you start with shots of it and then cover how to get there afterwards.

Of course the commentary might have mentioned these but if you are going to use captions then use them for everything. Otherwise, for me I read the caption at the beginning about the dump point being on the left then watched a silent movie for five minutes.

Finally, if you can insert a Google maps location in there, I suggest fairly early on after you have covered the aire, it would help enormously. I use screenshots taken on my tablet. They need fairly minimal editing, cropping around the edges and then I enhance the colours so it stands out.

Hope the above is taken in the spirit it is offered. You did ask what we thought. :) There's a great temptation to show video in the order it was shot. For example, we've seen several drone videos on here - and they are all the same. A shot taken as it takes off, then footage as it flies around and then finally one as it lands. As a video of a drone flight it can't be faulted but as something to inform and entertain.....

I should add that my videos of Italian roundabouts etc are well up there on the sleep-inducing factor. :)

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Looks great. Thanks for sharing. Maybe next year.......

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Many thanks for the video and as you asked for comment here goes. :)

Firstly, I never have the sound turned on when I'm using my tablet in the MH. Mrs DBK is looking at stuff on her's at the moment and I'm looking on mine at my stuff - MHF of course at the moment. But the point is any commentary is lost on me so any useful information such as whether the machine takes UK bank cards is missed. Assuming there is a commentary where this is explained then supplement it with captions, which you have used.

The structure of the video is I think the wrong way round. You've done it more or less chronologically but you need to start with the "wow" factor, the location. The last minute or so of the video is the selling point, the previous umpteen minutes of driving on French roads doesn't add anything, assuming folk are using a satnav to find the place. But if there are things to know about the route there, then add them at the end of the video but heavily edited. For example, a village close by with a narrow bridge or misleading junctions with priorité à droite you need to be careful of at the end of a drive.

Even if the aire isn't anything special I would still suggest you start with shots of it and then cover how to get there afterwards.

Of course the commentary might have mentioned these but if you are going to use captions then use them for everything. Otherwise, for me I read the caption at the beginning about the dump point being on the left then watched a silent movie for five minutes.

Finally, if you can insert a Google maps location in there, I suggest fairly early on after you have covered the aire, it would help enormously. I use screenshots taken on my tablet. They need fairly minimal editing, cropping around the edges and then I enhance the colours so it stands out
Hope the above is taken in the spirit it is offered. You did ask what we thought. :) There's a great temptation to show video in the order it was shot. For example, we've seen several drone videos on here - and they are all the same. A shot taken as it takes off, then footage as it flies around and then finally one as it lands. As a video of a drone flight it can't be faulted but as something to inform and entertain.....

I should add that my videos of Italian roundabouts etc are well up there on the sleep-inducing factor. :)
Thanks for your thoughts and ideas John.

There is no commentary, just the text. I did experiment with added music but wanted to keep it simple. So, basic info like road numbers so that people can find the location and direction of travel on a map if they wish plus GPS co-ords at the end.

I originally started to put the videos together as an aid for people finding their way into aires, having struggled a bit myself when aires were tucked away in the backstreets. That is the reason for the somewhat boring road section. I do edit to take out or reduce any straightforward sections but try to keep junctions or confusing sections of roads included.
The videos were never really intended to do a selling job for aires or campsites.
However, I do think you are right about putting the 'selling features' of a nice aire 'up front' and will try a different method when I get round to editing the next ones.
Finally, if you can insert a Google maps location in there, I suggest fairly early on after you have covered the aire, it would help enormously.
Now you are getting very technical.:( How the heck do you do that?

I have got a bunch of videos to edit when time allows, sometime in the winter months I think. Uploading also takes ages, even for a short video, as our internet in Suffolk is diabolical.

Richard.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks for your thoughts and ideas John.

There is no commentary, just the text. I did experiment with added music but wanted to keep it simple. So, basic info like road numbers so that people can find the location and direction of travel on a map if they wish plus GPS co-ords at the end.

I originally started to put the videos together as an aid for people finding their way into aires, having struggled a bit myself when aires were tucked away in the backstreets. That is the reason for the somewhat boring road section. I do edit to take out or reduce any straightforward sections but try to keep junctions or confusing sections of roads included.
The videos were never really intended to do a selling job for aires or campsites.
However, I do think you are right about putting the 'selling features' of a nice aire 'up front' and will try a different method when I get round to editing the next ones.

Now you are getting very technical.:( How the heck do you do that?

I have got a bunch of videos to edit when time allows, sometime in the winter months I think. Uploading also takes ages, even for a short video, as our internet in Suffolk is diabolical.

Richard.
Richard, Many thanks - and I'm currently trying to edit some dashcam footage at moment on my tablet so I know just how time consuming it is. As to adding an image into a video, I know it can be done, I've done it, but the software I used isn't available to me when we are away so I'm stumped for a simple answer. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back