Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
IMG_3460.JPG

So Wednesday when I came to use this collapsible bowl I noticed what looked like nibble holes on the base of it.

Now it's only been in the Motorhome for a few weeks and I saw no evidence of mice droppings anywhere and it previously lived in the garage so it could have been from then but still slightly worrying.

Does it look like mice have been at it?

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We get mice in our loft and so far (cross fingers) none in the MH. We do have two nieghbour cats doing their best to keep the mice away. We catch them alive in the loft and hubby drops them off miles away. Really wouldn't want to kill them though.

Upvote 0

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Google bucket trap on YouTube, make one (10mins) no mice.

All I can say is I had serious mouse probs in last van, caught many inside the van, used to leave 12 traps in the van, record in traps, 6 mice in one night. Made two bucket traps left them OUTSIDE the van never had a mouse in the van again touch wood. Have literally caught about a hundred since using the bucket traps, fifteen so far since October (when they start wanting to nest). Sorry but it costs too much to keep letting them go only to come back into your van again!:xsurprised::swear2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
The traps were in place for about 2 weeks and now mice so seems there either not bothered. can't get in or have found other suitable accommodation at the moment. (y)

Ill keep an eye on it and resetting the traps after trips for now.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
"Could be Aardvarks" That's simply wrong,
why?
Because Aardvark never did anyone any harm.
I'll get me coat.

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Catch poor mousy in a humane trap and then mark behind his head with tip ex or nail varnish, let him go and see how many more times you catch him and how far away you have to take him before he comes back.
Catch poor mousy in a humane trap, then pulverize the little git with a number five coal shovel. (y) He wont come back, so you can exclude the tip-ex. :)

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Catch poor mousy in a humane trap, then pulverize the little git with a number five coal shovel. (y) He wont come back, so you can exclude the tip-ex. :)
I don't have any tipex so I dip them in hot pitch....for about a minute to ensure they're well coated

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Wait until they start nibbling on the wiring loom in your engine bay. Then you might reconsider humanely trapping them.

A favourite access point for mice in our last (Fiat) MH was up the front wheels and into the cab through the passenger foot well lining. I found essence of mint poured on selected surfaces in the engine bay, plus blocks of blue rodent killer bait inside plastic chewing gum containers around the floors to be a great help. As a preventative measure I put blocks of bait in containers under the front wheels when in storage.

I also try to minimise any ways of them climbing up off the hab floor, for example removing the magazine wallet from the side of the lower lockers.

Current bane of our lives in my workplace is marauding squirrels - they can't half gnaw through wood when it suits them.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
The mice we had were very good at getting the bait off the trap without tripping it. Didn't matter how fine you set the trap the food would disappear. So I tied the currant to the post using thin cotton and sat and waited. When I checked a few days later the trap had moved about 6" and the culprit was well and truly caught by his nose.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back