Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
IMG_3460.JPG

So Wednesday when I came to use this collapsible bowl I noticed what looked like nibble holes on the base of it.

Now it's only been in the Motorhome for a few weeks and I saw no evidence of mice droppings anywhere and it previously lived in the garage so it could have been from then but still slightly worrying.

Does it look like mice have been at it?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I'm going with yes on this one. I'd be putting out traps to confirm this theory. I always have a few set in our van, they catch one or two a year, the neighbourhood cats catch the rest! :D

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
View attachment 136624

So Wednesday when I came to use this collapsible bowl I noticed what looked like nibble holes on the base of it.

Now it's only been in the Motorhome for a few weeks and I saw no evidence of mice droppings anywhere and it previously lived in the garage so it could have been from then but still slightly worrying.

Does it look like mice have been at it?

I take it you mean the house garage and not the Motorhome garage...?

If so that's where it probably happened..

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If no other damage in the motorhome and no droppings then mice in the garage I would think.

I set the sticky traps and check them several times a day. Also we use the tumble drier sheets. However the cat from the cottage up the road has taken to sleeping under the motorhome when she is not busy patrolling her territory and I am sure that helps control them. Strangely she doesn't seem too bothered by the birds, they ignore her completely and get really close to her but she does hunt / catch mice and voles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We don't leave any perishables in the van over winter for that reason but have a bag ready at home just to place in the van when setting off and also fill the fridge just before setting off.
We do leave bedding etc in but always check every few days!!
I hate mice!!!!

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Catch poor mousy in a humane trap and then mark behind his head with tip ex or nail varnish, let him go and see how many more times you catch him and how far away you have to take him before he comes back.

He could be She of course but the same applies.

Martin

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Catch poor mousy in a humane trap and then mark behind his head with tip ex or nail varnish, let him go and see how many more times you catch him and how far away you have to take him before he comes back.

He could be She of course but the same applies.

Martin

That sounds a nice humane way to do it and I suppose the little guys/gals are only after keeping warm and fed over the winter.

Taking the little girl to B&Q with me this morning to go pick some traps so will see if they have some friendly ones.

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I take mine to the woods about two miles away ... so far the same ones havn't come back ... but it an ongoing battle because my mh stored about 5ft away from a forest. :(

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
mark behind his head with tip ex or nail varnish

I marked the ones in my Garage just behind the ears with a less carefully placed shovel blade, have never seen them since!

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
I put a piece of chocolate inside an empty wine bottle and a piece outside to lure him in and set the bottle on an incline. Mousey hopped in but got too much wheel spin to get out. Put a message in the bottle supposedly written from him saying he is looking for a new home and toss him in the sea.

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
That sounds a nice humane way to do it and I suppose the little guys/gals are only after keeping warm and fed over the winter.

Taking the little girl to B&Q with me this morning to go pick some traps so will see if they have some friendly ones.
You will have an ambivalent feeling towards them when you read about the expensive damage they can do ! Chewing wiring in engine , cushions ,bedding etc did I say I hate mice!!! But not @Mousy !!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
IMG_3501.JPG

X4 Traps set :)

The local hardware store owed me £5 and they were £2.50 a pair and only had the slightly less humane versions so it's bye bye mouse

I still think it was the previous houses garage where the damage was done and not in the Motorhome but at least I am now covered for any new visitors.

1 in the food cupboard. 1 in the wardrobe and one each end of the floor of the van.

Dinner is bread and butter with a little hot chocolate powder. Yummy last meal.

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
@davidathomas42 Don't forget the laundry sheets scattered about they don't like the smell apparently . And we plug in a mouse detractor thingy that clicks! Can't remember the name!

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
use peanut butter as bait and place one trap in the cab under dashboard as a likely entry point

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Radio 2 mentioned the other day that peppermint oil on cotton wool balls will keep them away, no experience myself and not now actually totally sure I remember what they said quite right, but chuck enough deterrents in and one might work, even if not yet a known cure :LOL::LOL: always presumes the broken neck doesn't get them of course (y)

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Radio 2 mentioned the other day that peppermint oil on cotton wool balls will keep them away, no experience myself and not now actually totally sure I remember what they said quite right, but chuck enough deterrents in and one might work, even if not yet a known cure :LOL::LOL: always presumes the broken neck doesn't get them of course (y)
I use that .. it seems to work but can be difficult to find in the shops.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
View attachment 136725
X4 Traps set :)

The local hardware store owed me £5 and they were £2.50 a pair and only had the slightly less humane versions so it's bye bye mouse

I still think it was the previous houses garage where the damage was done and not in the Motorhome but at least I am now covered for any new visitors.

1 in the food cupboard. 1 in the wardrobe and one each end of the floor of the van.

Dinner is bread and butter with a little hot chocolate powder. Yummy last meal.
I think these are very humane! I've been using them for years, think of it as an educational process for the mouse. If it takes the food, it loses its head. I have carefully monitored our traps and I am yet to see a repeat offender, all of the mice caught had heads!

Upvote 0

Hydraman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Vision 2000
Exp
I always had the policy that all the ones wearing trousers and glasses could stay, but the others should go.
I will say that I have tried various makes of electronic "rodent repellent devices" they are meant to clear a large area! (none worked for me!)
Might just have deaf rats in our shed?

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Could be Aardvarks, not mice? Rhubarb stalks stood in plantpots full of lard and cashew nuts should scare them away.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back