is this a plan? (batteries)

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jazzbow, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Jazzbow

Jazzbow Read Only Funster

As you may have gathered we are not the brightest, thankfully we have you lot!

We're going to the Hebrides next week WOO HOO, BUTwe're going to be off hook up. We have a 75ah battery which is fully charged at the minute. My plan is to buy another battery 95ah (?) swap it for the one that is there, use that one til its done and then put the original back in. When we come home I was gonna put one on a solar trickle charger in the shed. Does this sound ok? We haven't got enough room in the locker for two batteries. I have read bits and pieces about voltmeters and not letting your battery get below 11(????) It's not for the lay man is it :Eeek:
    Thanks, and if anyone wants to know about mental health issues feel free to ask us!
    Dawn

• Like Like x 1
  2. chaser

chaser Funster

If you haven't got room for two, how are you going to take it with you. If you run your engine a bit one should be ok but if you are having another I'd go for a 110

3. Jazzbow

we were going to put the one we're not using is the space under the seats. Is that not ok?
    can someone recommend a brand of 110 battery?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  4. chaser

chaser Funster

Why not connect them together then

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

the second battery doesnt have to go in the same locker......

my original was under the passenger seat and the two extra 110ah batteries were under the dinette seat behind the drivers seat.

as long as you can run wires between the batteries to connect them together you can put them where you want within reason.

• Like Like x 3
  6. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

I think you may be heading for a problem. This of course depends on how much electricity you need to draw from your battery bank over a period of a week! If you have LED lighting and low wattage TV's that you only use for a couple of hours each night you should be OK.
    Ideally, you should never let a battery discharge more than 20%. If you intend to run the battery until it's completely flat and change it, don't bother bringing it back, it will be worthless.
    My advice would be to fit two leisure batteries of the same AH (2x110 AH) would be great and keep an eye on your usage via the control panel.

Make sure you do not draw any power from your cab battery other than to start the engine otherwise you could find yourself without enough power to start your engine.
    Consider fitting a Solar Panel if you are going to do this often or a quiet generator.

If you with other camper vans you will probably get some good advice and help if you come unstuck. Other than that, do some more research and get to know what you really need to ensure you have a trouble free outing.

Enjoy yourself.

7. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

You want the battery with largest storage capacity 110 or more that will fit
    Can't you borrow a little genny as back up Easier than swapping battery's

8. pappajohn

BANNER batteries appear to be flavour of the month. :thumb:

type 110ah Banner battery in Ebay search.

9. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Is there any hope for this lot on ere:RollEyes:

10. chaser

chaser Funster

Most on here recommend banner but I have a Bosch on mine 5 year old and still going strong
    Fingers crossed

11. pappajohn

I think you might need a medium for some of this crowd, not a psychiatrist. :Laughing:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Jazzbow

Aye- keep taking the tablets! :Rofl1:

If you intend to run the battery until it's completely flat and change it, don't bother bringing it back, it will be worthless.
    See- this is the worrying bit :Sad: what is the point in having a battery if you can't use it!?

13. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

hi we wanted extra capacity in batteries so got dave newel to put 2 new batteries on the 2nd he put under the passenger seat all connected together works a treat. cheers ivory55

• Like Like x 2
  14. pappajohn

the advice given is sound but i dispute the 20% figure.

the accepted figure is a maximum 50% discharge for a standard lead/acid battery.

battery chemistry is a strange animal.

if a battery is discharged too low, or completely flattened, it begins to develop a coating on the internal plates...a little like limescale in a kettle.
    its proper name is lead sulfate.

this coating is an insulator and eventually stops the battery being charged and the more often this happens the worse it gets until its only good for the bin....this could be a little as a few months if regularly flattened.

15. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

I was hoping to add an attachment that would support my statement but the document is bigger than the measaly 19KB allowed so have copied the actual wording from the document and below that the link to the web page if you want to download the complete document. (worth doing IMO)

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page for the link.

Never totally
    discharge a battery. It
    is unlikely that you will
    be able to recharge it
    again.
    In practice it is
    better to never let your
    battery discharge to
    less than 80 per cent
    of its capacity.
    If you allow the
    battery to discharge
    beyond half its
    capacity it is unlikely
    that you will fully
    recharge it again.

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/helpandadvice/technicalhelp/power/your-leisure-battery/

All the best.

16. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

whoever wrote that original article must have done so on 1st of April, check it out

17. pappajohn

I'll see your document wording and raise you with this one.

Maintainance
    Charge Discharge Cycling
    Although it is possible to discharge the battery to around 20% of its capacity, it is recommended that it should be discharged to no less than 50% of its capacity before being recharged. This will maximize life, and around 100- 200 charging cycles can be expected, depending on manufacturer.

The existing state of charge can be measured by using a Voltmeter across the terminals, with no load connected (open circuit):

Fully Charged = 12.7V
    Three Quarters Charged= 12.5V
    Half Charged = 12.4V
    Quarter Charged = 12.2V
    Fully Discharged = 11.7V
    When fully discharged, and with load connected a terminal voltage of around would be expected 10.5V

Leisure batteries should never be allowed to become fully discharged; permanent damage can result. If left in a discharged state for any length of time Sulphation can occur. This is as a result of an internal chemical reaction and displays as a whitish gray coating (lead sulphate) on the battery plates preventing normal battery operation. Excessive Sulphation is almost always irreversible and requires the battery to be replaced.

http://www.leisurebatteries.net/

this is one of those subjects where there is no definitive answer so the argument can go on and on....

i would rather discharge to 50% so the battery has to 'work' rather than doing next to nothing.

batteries prefer being fully charged if stored but cycled in service..

18. Deckard

Deckard Read Only Funster

I am with papa on this - 50% max discharge or the aforementioned chemical breakdown occurs, effectively trashing the battery.

Its probably not practical to be suggesting solar at this point- but do so for the future - maybe hire or buy a small genny for now?

19. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

No comment!

You guys can fight amongst yourselves!:BigGrin:

20. lorger

lorger Funster

Cant help you with the battery question just thought id let you know we did 2 week in the outer hebrides with one battery 110ah only charging it when on the move and we had no problems what so ever. it is light there just about all day so you wont be using much in the way of lights and with the views you will have the TV wont be on much either.

• Like Like x 2