Is there an alternative to Nature Pure?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GJH, Jul 25, 2013.

1. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We use a filter jug in the van (and normally boil water before drinking anyway) but I've recently looked at fitting a Nature Pure unit.

I've measured up several times and can't find a practical way of fitting a Nature Pure filter into our van because of the depth it requires. A Nature Pure unit could be fitted if it could be mounted horizontally, rather than vertically, but I understand that is not possible.

So, are there any alternative products on the market which will do a similar job to Nature Pure?

2. capinpugwash

capinpugwash Funster

3. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Hi Graham, we have one of these fitted horizontally and it worked fine.

However, due to finding a problem obtaining filters, I have now bypassed it and fitted a Nature Pure system.

It took me ages to find where to fit the NP vertically but finally managed to fit it behind the a cupboard under our cooker.

4. capinpugwash

capinpugwash Funster

In case anyone else has problems finding replacement cartridges, this is a link to a supplier

http://www.thecaravanshop.co.uk/ind...ilter&_a=viewCat&Submit_x=0&Submit_y=0&page=1

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Thanks both but, looking at the data sheet, I think I would have to go for the E2 to give a real advantage over the filter jug we already have and its size would make even horizontal fitting difficult in the space I have available.

6. vwalan

vwalan Funster

Attached Files:

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Thanks Alan but it would be impractical to mount it above the sink in our van and, as with the others, it's too large to go underneath.

8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi. just thought it might fit . have you no room under the sink for something ?re route the water pipes . my mate as his fitted in his gas locker .

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I had the same problem Graham, except I had no room for the supplied tap.

Easy solution....fit it in the bathroom.
    This also gives you filtered water for brushing teeth etc.

No hardship walking a few feet from the galley tap to the bathroom.

If you aren't using the supplied tap then fit the filter ANYWHERE in the cold pipe...but depending where, you may be filtering shower water too.

10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

The problem we have is that the only place with practical access to the cold water supply is under the sink. Anywhere else (including the washroom) would involve major surgery and/or removal/replacement of fittings both for fitting and for cartridge replacement.

Under the sink, though, there is insufficient depth between the shelves to fit a NP unit. Possibly the only solution would be to remove one of the shelves and cut a chunk out of it to allow fitting of the NP unit before replacing the shelf. Even then it may well involve some hassle when the time came to replace the cartridge.

What I really need is a unit which can be mounted horizontally beneath the worktop and above the higher of the shelves.

11. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I looked into Nature pure, but found the special hose and fittings it needs are not available in a long enough length to enable me to fit it where I want to.
    However, I have been motorhoming for 30 odd years now, and have never suffered any adverse effects from drinking whatever water is available, so probably won't bother.

12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I spoke to Harald on the Nature Pure stand at Malvern at the weekend and, unfortunately, confirmed that I can't fit one of their filters without major surgery to the van. The new ones can be mounted horizontally but that still leaves me with a problem in connecting the water pipes. The supplied connector hoses will not fit the existing hoses.

The cold feed is a half inch hose with no play in it, into which the tail from the (Comet?) tap fits and is held by a jubilee clip. So, what I need is a filter device which has an inlet pipe with the equivalent fitting to the tap tail and an outlet which enables the tap tail to be fitted to it.

I expect the only device which fits the bill will be available only in cloud cuckoo land - unless anyone knows any better :BigGrin:

13. chaser

chaser Funster

Surely there must be some sort of reducers to use, I use quite a bit of plastic pipe around the farm of all different sizes over the years, but have never been stumped at finding some way of joining them, there all sorts of fittings for half inch, have you tried a proper builders merchant? Not one of the sheds.:thumb:

14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I'm sure you're right - but I don't want to end up with a mishmash of different attachments with potential multiple points of failure. For something that is a luxury, rather than a necessity, it isn't worth the hassle.

15. busby

busby Funster

I dont have this problem. Have been drinking tap water for 68 years now and i am still here. If the water makes a good cup of tea then its sound. BUSBY.:BigGrin:

16. Popeye

Popeye Funster

This is what I fitted to my boat and it's still the same price for the cartridges twenty years later........ :thumb:

17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Thanks Griff. I'll look into that further.

18. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Graham,
    As I understand it, Rapidos have loads of room under the sink, or is this just Welsh / French propaganda?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  19. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

This is very similar to the system we have fitted, I managed to fit behind the fridge under the sink and fitted a tap at the side of thesink

20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

No idea John - but I'm not moving down market from a Burstner to find out :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1