is there an A class that is practical at 3500kg (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When I said I put everything in the garage to get weighed, I didn't mean that I carry it all the time. There won't be occasions when everything is taken. For example, I put my complete Match angling gear and poles in there. I wont be taking those. I only keep a small kit for opportunist fishing.
I have been in the process of weighing garage kit so I now know when I'm getting near the limit.
With reference to taking full water plus extra containers full, if you check your Hymer handbook they say on page 138 10.2 " For driving safety and for regulatory reasons, when the vehicle is in motion the fill quantity must be reduced to approximately 20 litres. If the water is drained using the safety drainage handle, a residual quantity of approximately 20 litres will remain in the water tank".

Too get down top that weight I assume you don't have an awning, we don't another 45 kg I can do without.
I know all about the 20Lt bit and it is only an advisory, full tank does not effect the handling/braking or stability of the van.
To travel with only 20 Lt would make the van unusable, we both like to have a shower in the morning and our usage is about 35 Lt a day, also never sure when we will next be able to fill up. With the additional 40 Lt we can last 4-5 days also carry a spare cassette for the loo which allows 6 - 7 days before needing an emptying point.

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I think you will struggle for payload I know 2 people with C Tourers both came out the factory 80 kg over.

I will be buying from stock not a factory order so making a weighbridge ticket part of sales agreement should be straightforward....so should no definite weight

Remember the new lightweight chassis c compact line 138 is a pretty new model, bet your friends are diffrent/bigger models?

Would I need to change headlight units or can you switch the dipping as I know this possible with some A class.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Both have 142QB's, on the 2015 models the Compact 138 is 125kg lighter, but theirs are 2014 models which were a 100kg lighter so you only gain 25 kg over them, it's do'able at 3500 just a bit tight.

Headlamps are standard Hella projector ones just flip the lever on the back to straight dipping.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Both have 142QB's, on the 2015 models the Compact 138 is 125kg lighter, but theirs are 2014 models which were a 100kg lighter so you only gain 25 kg over them, it's do'able at 3500 just a bit tight.

Headlamps are standard Hella projector ones just flip the lever on the back to straight dipping.

Thanks Lenny...

Struggling with this......The MIRO on 138 is just under 2800kg. Add up to 200 kg extras that leaves 500 kg payload, is this not correct:(

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
MIRO is 2830, this only allows for 20 Lt of water 1 x 11kg Aluminum gas bottle, 90% fuel & driver at 75 kg, but MIRO more lightly to be over 2900 kg in the real world, agree about 200kg of extras. So in theory should be well in, that's what I thought about my van, I reckoned I would have a 100 kg spare over the the last van, didn't happen unless our local weigh bridge is out.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Forgot to mention, we do have a spare wheel, 2nd battery sat dish & 2 x 100w solar panels so adds another 75 kg to our van, good job the wife only weighs 44 kg.:)

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I am resurrecting this thread as have narrowed down the search to Hymer exsis i 474 & 504 models. Plus Carthago i 138 my current favourite, but have concerns about accuracy on payload weights.

I'm in Spain now and after popping into twin lakes meet in May, then heading up to hopefully see vans in Belgium dealers on way home.....

AdiĂłs Amigos :)

The i 138 just so pretty.... and has ordinary headlamps, not this expensive hymer jobies that don't are known to have issues.....

i 138.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: f6c

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I've bitten the bullet and decided to uprate (I know it's not an option for you Eddie), as we are going to be away for longer from now on, at the moment I don't even carry a mains hook up lead to save weight, rather have something on board that's useable, like water.:)
New tyres arrived a couple of days ago just need to get them fitted & then get on to SV Tech. Wasn't much point in uprating without changing the tyres as I would have only gained 120-150kg of the 350kg increase due to rear axle loading. New tyres are 225 x 70 R15 Hankook R10, went for all season tyres so I can now travel legally across Europe in the winter.

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
sounds like a plan Lenny :)..after having all season tyres on current van I know what you mean! they give a bit of peace of mind.....

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
What about Laika, the Ecovip 600 or 609 it has a quoted payload of 539Kg, we looked around at the NEC and thought very nice. We were surprised when we questioned the dealers about payload some of them became quite defensive, some didn't know how it was measured, what was included and wittered on about 4% differences and were shocked when we suggested they might actually take it to a weighbridge. So I would not trust the brochure or the dealers I think an actual measurement and knowing what was in on the van at the time would be very important, I'm pretty sure that some options, essentials (real glasses and crockery), food, wine, passenger and a fatty at the wheel (present company excepted :D) and the payload would soon disappear.

Luckily as we have the option we have since decided to stay over 3.5 and agreed the kids can get a C1 if they want to borrow it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back