is there an A class that is practical at 3500kg (1 Viewer)

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Tried it against a Honda vision, that would go in without mirrors, didn't actually put it in though as had all stuff in garage!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks Mike but I knew from previous research that a b class hymer not practical @ 3500. Only the new light, narrow vans have a chance of being in anyway practical for touring

Should have included us in your research, 3 of us, a couple of 3 monthers on the continent and around 14000 miles a year. On the contrary, we found our B544 very practical indeed.

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Tried it against a Honda vision, that would go in without mirrors, didn't actually put it in though as had all stuff in garage!

Not just a question of does it fit? but have you the spare weight capacity / axle capacity to drive the van safely/legally :(

have you been to a weighbridge?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Should have included us in your research, 3 of us, a couple of 3 monthers on the continent and around 14000 miles a year. On the contrary, we found our B544 very practical indeed.

Can't see it, whats the mass in running order and have you weighed it. I'm looking for a slim van usable at 3500. Only lstest lightweight chassis come snywhere near practicl....

Edit: Quick search throws up a MIRO of 3070. By the time you add passengers and a few fitted extras can't see it being under 3500. Vans I'm looking at have a MIRO of under 2800

Last edited:
OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Well Hymer must be way out then, the Exsis handles very well with full payload thank you

You can't go by brochures or guess work.....If you don't weigh it how the hell do you know...

it will drive "fine" overweight IF on a chassis with the capacity to be upgraded, that's not the point, it's still illegal and insurance potentially void if something unfortunate happens if proven to be overweight. For instance a weigh increase normally means a higher indexed tyre required, and if overweight handling and braking distances will be affected... That's for starters.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
if you are worried about licence/medicals etc - dont forget that you can legally tow a motorbike trailer or ezetow behind a 3.5t Mh on a C licence.

T

Tackle man

Deleted User
I have the Exsis i688 and love it
IMG_3424.JPG

T

Tackle man

Deleted User
... and you don't have to have theoverhead drop down bed if you don"t want it.
IMG_3311.JPG

glenm

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Mobile full timer Garstang
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Burstner low profiles have an excellent range at 3500kg good quality and low profiles easier to drive :):)

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
As others have said, don't trust unleaded weights without checking them. We have had several coachbuilts, none of which were anywhere near the stated weight. Worst was a rapido quoted at 3.1 that I weighed at 3.7 with some load but nowhere near fully loaded. Mind you it was a super van otherwise.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
If there is an A class van with garage as well as a fixed rear bed as well as overcab drop down bed...which can carry two bicycles as well as two months going away gear and weigh 3500 ! I would be very interested .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
250kg allowance in garage
Payload is excellent

But to use that 250kg you will need to upgrade to 3700 or 3850kg (dependent on model) and change the tyres to 225x70x215 to uprate the rear axle loading.

We only carry 2 bikes & when loaded up for a trip with only 75% fuel and water we come in between 3500 to 3550kg, the bike way 28k a scooter 100-125kg + fluids so probably 130kg + your riding gear. Our rear axle weight is around 1850-1880kg with standard tyres limit is 2000kg. Ours is an i-678.

So it is possible to have a scooter at 3500kg but would probably mean running without water (tank is behind rear axle), wouldn't work for us as we normally run with a full water tank and extra containers in the garage.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I have the Exsis i688 and love itView attachment 52506

We love ours too, but what an earth have you got in your garage, in your photo back end looks well overloaded, even with the Goldsmitch springs mine still sits nose down when I'm 100kg over.
Before anyone says anything I try to keep to 3500kg but sometimes we are a bit over, but I can always dump water & be under.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
As others have said, don't trust unleaded weights without checking them. We have had several coachbuilts, none of which were anywhere near the stated weight. Worst was a rapido quoted at 3.1 that I weighed at 3.7 with some load but nowhere near fully loaded. Mind you it was a super van otherwise.

Both Hymers we have had have been 50kg under.

T

Tackle man

Deleted User
We love ours too, but what an earth have you got in your garage, in your photo back end looks well overloaded, even with the Goldsmitch springs mine still sits nose down when I'm 100kg over.
Before anyone says anything I try to keep to 3500kg but sometimes we are a bit over, but I can always dump water & be under.

There was hardly anything in the garage as I had just collected the vehicle from premier Motorhomes.
Back end is not down. Springs are standard.
Since this photo I have loaded everything I have and been to weigh station with full tank of diesel and 25 lts of fresh water and total weight was 3,410 KG

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
... and you don't have to have theoverhead drop down bed if you don"t want it.View attachment 52510

Would probably need the two doubles for when and if kids fly over and meet us. Your right though my mate ordered a hymer without it.. But wouldn't not having the flexibility of two beds affect resale ( kids can always sleep in a tent:))

T

Tackle man

Deleted User

Try another photo .....

IMG_3536.JPG
IMG_3379.JPG

T

Tackle man

Deleted User
Would probably need the two doubles for when and if kids fly over and meet us. Your right though my mate ordered a hymer without it.. But wouldn't not having the flexibility of two beds affect resale ( kids can always sleep in a tent:))

We ordered the vehicle for what we like, so far we have had positive comments from fellow campers. :)

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Only had one CB a Euromobil and that was lighter then expected.....They do allow a plus or minus of 4% in the small print with most I believe to cover themselves. so that can be an extra 160 kg :(

Just make sure a weigh bridge ticket part of sales agreement

Was going to say tackles photo probably looks like that due to angle and being on grass...later ones look fine.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

We nearly went for the locker option good job we didn't one of our daughters has already been to a couple vintage dance/music festivals with us even with the drop down bed there is plenty of storage space.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
There was hardly anything in the garage as I had just collected the vehicle from premier Motorhomes.
Back end is not down. Springs are standard.
Since this photo I have loaded everything I have and been to weigh station with full tank of diesel and 25 lts of fresh water and total weight was 3,410 KG

Your photo's show a drivers door so I assume you had the komfort option pack which includes the drivers door which also includes Goldsmitch springs.

There is still not much payload if you run with full tanks, we always run with full water and often with 2 x 20 Lt containers in the garage, we also carry a spare loo cassette. If I have one complaint it's the small 100 Lt water tank.

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Well this is the one I will go for IF we decide to change.....the Cathargo just seems to make more sense, personally like to keep van as short as possible, plus long rear overhangs make me nervous :)

image.jpg

T

Tackle man

Deleted User
Your photo's show a drivers door so I assume you had the komfort option pack which includes the drivers door which also includes Goldsmitch springs.

There is still not much payload if you run with full tanks, we always run with full water and often with 2 x 20 Lt containers in the garage, we also carry a spare loo cassette. If I have one complaint it's the small 100 Lt water tank.

When I said I put everything in the garage to get weighed, I didn't mean that I carry it all the time. There won't be occasions when everything is taken. For example, I put my complete Match angling gear and poles in there. I wont be taking those. I only keep a small kit for opportunist fishing.
I have been in the process of weighing garage kit so I now know when I'm getting near the limit.
With reference to taking full water plus extra containers full, if you check your Hymer handbook they say on page 138 10.2 " For driving safety and for regulatory reasons, when the vehicle is in motion the fill quantity must be reduced to approximately 20 litres. If the water is drained using the safety drainage handle, a residual quantity of approximately 20 litres will remain in the water tank".

Last edited by a moderator:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Well this is the one I will go for IF we decide to change.....the Cathargo just seems to make more sense, personally like to keep van as short as possible, plus long rear overhangs make me nervous :)

View attachment 53166
I think you will struggle for payload I know 2 people with C Tourers both came out the factory 80 kg over.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back