Is the Motorhome 'phenomenon' drifting south?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by wingman, Mar 26, 2016.

1. wingman

wingman Funster

We all note that MH sales and ownership are rapidly growing these days. However, when I joined MHF a short 3 years ago, you could draw a line north of Watford, scribe a semi-circle line round to Devon and (with a few exceptions) most of the motorhomers seemed hail from north of those points. Certainly in this county - Essex - it was rare to find more than a handful of Funsters.Yorkshire, Lancs, East Anglia, the North East and Scotland were well represented. Sorry if I haven't mentioned your county!

Ok, so there may be loads closeby that are not on MHF but it does seem that Motorhomes are springing up more and more down here. There are four new ones within a mile of me alone!

Is it suddenly 'cool' to own one? Has the snobbishness against caravanning, camping and hence motorhoming declined in Southerners? Is it perhaps the high pressure city that makes Southerners crave the outdoorsy life? Is it the media exposure that makes it cool? I notice that nearly everyone on the TV programme 'The Chase' seems to want to spend their prize money on a 'camper'.

There's lots of interest in my van when it's parked outside. Complete strangers stop and ask questions about the lifestyle...... "Where do you go in it?" and "What about going to the toilet" and "How much to the gallon does it do" are the most popular questions. Most follow this up by talking about going camping when they were young and how much they enjoyed slumming it.

Is this JUST a southern phenomenon? Or is it general throughout the country?

I think I will start telling folk that it's very expensive and a crap lifestyle. Otherwise, (in the words of David Cameron), we'll be 'swamped by them' :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

3. Adbt

Adbt Funster

Got to say I subscribe to a Lotus Car Forum called SELOC ( primarily attended by SE Lotus owners ) where I got dogs abuse for owning a MH.
    The usual stuff , Itinerant, council house on wheels etc

HOWEVER.......... a growing number are buying motorhomes and guess what .........

MOTORHOMING IS NOW THE COOLEST HIPPEST LEISURE ACTIVITY SINCE COKE AND HOOKERS !

So yep I reckon the southern softies are getting a taste for it :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Huh!! ! Some map that is . I'm not even there, and Dover is only a small town. Shunter is there where AM I? Have I done summat wrong? AND I have to put up with a load of you lot going passed my door without waving.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Have you asked to be put on the map, if not you won't be on there!

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I started the member map and for several years kept it up to date.. adding members when they asked ..
    There used to be a link 'Member Map' and a thread to ask for inclusion ..

Recently Jim decided the map was out of date, not fit for purpose and won't be fixing the link ..

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  7. wingman

wingman Funster

I did say sorry if I missed out your county; sorry to all the Kent folk!

Thanks for the map link Jim, BUT I hardly ever saw an MH around here, now they are in the next street!

8. ojibway

ojibway Funster

There are more and more popping up in Eastbourne - some old, some new ones. A neighbour has ordered one which he expects to pick up in April.
    Driving back from Devon yesterday (Friday) we had never seen so many heading south!

9. snailtrailer

snailtrailer Funster

@scotjimland Glad you told me - I had it on my list to tell you we were moving from our Norfolk home (close to Sea Palling) to our new place in Suffolk.

It was a good map Jim but I guess with so many members some of the flags must be sitting on top of each other (figuratively speaking!)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

Wow...are they on the accessory list when you buy a Lotus? :whatthe:

11. Viennese

Viennese Funster

Hi Neil, haven't seen you for ages, what are you up to??

• Like Like x 1
  12. Viennese

Viennese Funster

I think motorhome sales are up 201% on last year, and I expect it's because people can now spend their pensions...

13. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

Hi :smiley:...still around...only last-minute, short breaks in the van at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Viennese

Viennese Funster

Come to Newbury - not too far for you??

15. Movinon

Movinon Funster

It seems that motorhome sales declined from 2007-2011. So I would assume that, given an increase in funding ability, at the very least a certain amount of catch-up is being experienced. The more there are, the more visible they become, the more acceptable and attractive they will be. Without a strong economic deterrent I imagine that sales will only continue to increase with a consequent knock-on effect on facilities. An increasingly older population, unshackled from the constraints of employment and with little left to spend their savings on (and those savings attracting hardly any interest), will find that their desire to travel and explore can now be addressed - in comfort, without time limitations, and without having to rely on inconvenient or unhygienic roadside facilities.

• Like Like x 2
  16. campa cola

campa cola Funster

Live life before you die (y)

17. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

main reason for less motorhomes in london is parking unless your lucky enough to have a drive its very difficult

• Like Like x 1