Is the 3 SIM card any good for touring UK (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
I was thinking of using a 3 SIM card when touring the UK. I have one of these mifi things sitting idle and figured I might be able to get some use out of it with one of these SIMs.

They seem to have an unlimited data plan for £15 per month with no contract.

Couple of questions.

Is it really unlimited?

Are 3 any good in the kind of remote locations where you get camp sites are will I not get a good signal?

Any advice much appreciated.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I have 3 but not good in remote locations at times, struggle at Sandringham, Clumber Park, Malvern, Garlieston CC site Scotland, and Windermere C&CC site. Good deals but coverage is haphazard. Seriously thinking of changing when my contract due for renewal.

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
I have 3 but not good in remote locations at times, struggle at Sandringham, Clumber Park, Malvern, Garlieston CC site Scotland, and Windermere C&CC site. Good deals but coverage is haphazard. Seriously thinking of changing when my contract due for renewal.

Thanks for that feedback. I figured that might be the case. Last time I was on 3, which was a few years back now, that's how it seemed then. I just wondered if it had improved any.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
3 very strange it's either no signal or full internet in my experience but never had much trouble with it apart from this

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
I find 3 ok in uk only once had no signal in Porthmadog but its mountainous there, but found it very poor in France and data got eaten up quickly there.

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
I have a 3 sim card in my mifi and the signal is very hit and miss in remote areas. More often tun not it's a miss. Also have a phone on EE mind you at that can be the same.

Where did you get the unlimited data deal on sim only for your mifi?

Eyeinthesky

Free Member
Sep 9, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
I think 3 are no better or worse than the rest...coverage in very rural areas is poor with most of them, mainly due to the fact that they all cater for the masses.

The good thing with 3 is that they are generally cheaper than the rest...the recent 'feel like home' offer where roaming charges are scrubbed in several countries is very welcome.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I think 3 are no better or worse than the rest...coverage in very rural areas is poor with most of them, mainly due to the fact that they all cater for the masses.

The good thing with 3 is that they are generally cheaper than the rest...the recent 'feel like home' offer where roaming charges are scrubbed in several countries is very welcome.

It doesn't come cheaper than Giff-Gaff but you're right about rural areas, Giff-Gaff (carrier is 02) is rubbish where I live and where I work 122 miles away. My classification for rubbish is getting an on screen 'No Network Connection' or 'Emergency Calls Only' for the bulk of the day and some of the night.

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
3 were lousy a few years ago but are quite good now. Reading old postings on here I took a few months testing out in most areas north of Birmingham to north of Scotland with an old payg 3 phone and found the network had improved. I bought a 3MiFi unit and its been brilliant including some of the sites mentioned above that were nogoers. The only sites I recall not getting any workable signal was at Sherringham in Norfolk and Bedgellert (C&CC Site) in North Wales where nobody was getting a signal.
I have found coverage on a par with O2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back