Is some history of damp to be expected? (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2017
Chudleigh, Devon
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 2
Exp
Im a newbie
I've spoken to a private seller on the phone about a 51 plate Compass Avantgarde 200.

He told me that when he bought the van 2 years ago he had a hab test done and Signs of damp were found at:

Front corner above over cab bed
Inside awning fixings
Inside bike rack fixings

He said it was all fixed by resealling where needed and cost about £200 at a motorhome repairer.

Obviously before I spend a penny I'll ask him for another test but just wanted to know whether a van that is 16 years old is reasonable to have some history of damp at some point?

Is it worth me travelling an hour to see it or should I run away now?

Thanks

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
A history of damp is NOT to be expected

I'd never buy a van that had ever been damp

A recipe for potential disaster

Last edited by a moderator:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I would think a mh that is 16 years old could have a history of damp, (even new ones can have damp problems), the fact he has been up front with you and told you is perhaps a good sign. If the mh is what you want then go and see it, look for damp signs in the places he has told you about, (have a poke and see if there is damp still present) ask to see the invoices for the work done and if you are still keen to buy ask for a habitation check to be done and see what turns up. If signs of damp are shown up then, depending what they are you will have to reconsider.

Damp problems can be solved at a cost, if you are keen on the mh and it does have damp problems get a quote for the work to be rectified and make sure this is reflected in the sale price. I bought a mh that had a damp problem and because I factored it into my negotiations bought then mh, had it professionally repaired and eventually sold it on without making a loss.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Just make sure if you really want the van that YOU arrange for a damp test by someone of your choosing. Never trust the sellers habitation check.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Yes, I reckon you can expect some problems with a van of that age but I agree with @scotzsue re getting your own survey done. If there is no damp present, no bother. If there is, then walk away.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I would not trust any third party damp check. Buy a decent meter and check it yourself.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i would much prefer an honest seller mentioning historic damp issues. at least you can check its been done properly. been to see quite a few vans in what was described as pristine or excellent condition only to find a damp issue they have tried to hide
a little damp is not fatal to a van if found and repaired quickly and properly

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Don't see a problem myself..
Would you buy a car that has been repaired or even a house that has been repaired ?
As long as the repair is effective it makes not a jot of difference..
It is what it is like NOW that counts, not before any repair

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Before buying a van with a history of damp I'd do a search of FUN and read the stories of those people who have suffered with damp vans - then decide

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
A 16 year old van will be mastic joints and caravan technology and needs checking and maintaining I think the seller is being honest about its past, unless there is something he is not telling of course. If that's all it was and its dry now it wouldn't worry me.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back