sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
This is salesmanship at work. Four birth vans are usually two birth where two second class midgets could sleep the odd night on makeshift beds. Some four birth aren't good for two for that matter.

But if folk want bigger that is there choice.
Is this a birthing van, as against a birthing pool? Or do you mean berth?

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I have upsized from a 7metre Buccaneer to a 9.5 metre gas guzzler.cos I wanted me own bed, we also take small people at weekends as well. We went to Disney about a month ago with 7 on board we found it spacious enough with the swivelling passenger seat the settee and the dinette:):):):):):):):):):)

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
We wanted a fixed bed and more external storage, so we've just gone from 6m to 7m. The limiting factor was access to our drive. We tested this by taping wooden rods to either side of our 6m van, extending the length to 7m. We then parked our car in the most awkward place possible opposite the entrance to the drive, and moved the van in and out.
This testing proved to me that 7m was an absolute maximum. It was useful in being able to concentrate our search to vans 7m or less when we were looking for our new one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Our 6.5m A class is brilliant. Definitely better than our old T25 for space which just was under 5m. However nowhere near as good as the 10m long RV we rented in Canada with twin slide outs. Does size matter. Hell yeah! Especially if you have kids and value comfort.

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
Our van is 9m, just love the space it offers, the ability to take the kitchen sink, kids can come if they want (have 5 grown up kids) and it seems small to me having driven large trucks all my life.
Running costs very little different but depreciation is much bigger.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We recently sold our 33ft rv.
A 12ft long slide sticking out 3ft in the lounge which gave us around 14ft x 11ft lounge area....bigger than some folks lounge at home.
Seperate bedroom 8ft x 7ft

Now we have a 24ft caravan
No slide out so the lounge is around 7ft x 7ft 2 in with a settee on each side...smaller than the rv's bedroom.....and to move around one of us must remain seated.

Does size matter.....you bet it does.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
We recently sold our 33ft rv.
A 12ft long slide sticking out 3ft in the lounge which gave us around 14ft x 11ft lounge area....bigger than some folks lounge at home.
Seperate bedroom 8ft x 7ft

Now we have a 24ft caravan
No slide out so the lounge is around 7ft x 7ft 2 in with a settee on each side...smaller than the rv's bedroom.....and to move around one of us must remain seated.

Does size matter.....you bet it does.
Why have you changed?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Tend to only be in van to sleep so size not too important.Only like touring in the sunshine...BUSBY.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It does when the space you want to get into or go through is smaller than you are, then it's to big, the rest of the time it's too small.

Damn another compromise.

Martin

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Ok probably asking for it with a title like that but I just wondered why van size seems to be so important to some of you, most of the vans I see tend to be couples only yet the van is clearly a four birth, is it because of the layout or you wanted more living space, perhaps there was no advantage in going smaller! you tell us funsters why you went for a larger van than you need.

Ours has a fixed bed and an over the cab bed in an 8.3mt A class. Its just us and our dog. As to the number of berths - it was quite a bit more expensive to have the same make and model MH without the overhead bed. We would have gone for the two berth layout but none were available. This being the case we took the mattress and springing system out of the over cab bed and use it for storage (bought those plastic under the bed storage boxes for the purpose).

Having had a 7.6 mt and just bought the bigger vehicle I would say that the extra length has made a big difference. It's down to personal preference.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

We do pretty much the same as you in ours - on our recent trip to France our maximum stay in one place was two nights. We haven't found that the size prohibits us from going where we want. The only thing we have to watch is overhanging trees. If a bus or coach can get through a village then so can we.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back