Is size important

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Big bus man, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Big bus man

Big bus man

Ok probably asking for it with a title like that but I just wondered why van size seems to be so important to some of you, most of the vans I see tend to be couples only yet the van is clearly a four birth, is it because of the layout or you wanted more living space, perhaps there was no advantage in going smaller! you tell us funsters why you went for a larger van than you need.
    What provoked me was coming to work this morning another motorhome has appeared on a driveway on my road, it is gigantic, based on an earlier Fiat chassis, must be at least 8m long :eek: and just fit in their drive. Motorhomes are certainly getting popular these days! :happy:

• Like Like x 1
  2. barsteward

barsteward Funster

Interesting question. We have a 7.5mtr and although we could live with something smaller we do like our own space from time to time. I tend to be a late night person my wife early. With our present lay out we can divide the bedroom and the living area off. Plus as with a house a garage or a shed you never have enough room but you do accumulate loads of junk.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Yes if you like comfort. We have recently parted with our 29' RV with twin slides, having had two RVs previously.
    We now have a 20' Hymer B544. A nice motorhome but... But.....
    But....
    What is all this drop down, climb up and down steps, nearly breaking my neck in the middle of the night bed thing........
    Yes it parks easy, but to spend too much time in such confinement , ooh dear me......

• Like Like x 6
  4. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Ha ha ha..Oh come on! The main thing is you are still getting out and about surely:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Badknee

Badknee Funster

When we were looking for ours the 'must haves' were making for a longer and longer MoHo so we changed it to 'what we need to be comfy' and ended up at two berth 7.5 mtrs 3750kgs. (y)

6. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    Yes, often very important for a variety of reasons.
    Unlike many here, I travel solo and happy to stay below 5 metres length and below 2 metres height which enables me to go just about anywhere without worrying about size.
    I'm a great believer in Parkinson's Law (or the motorhomer's version)

"The number of necessary gadgets expands to fill the locker space available for their storage"

• Like Like x 7
  7. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

If you want the convenience of a fixed island bed, you're unlikely to find a van under 7m - so I guess size does matter if you dont want to be making the stashing the bed twice a day

• Like Like x 1
  8. Badknee

Badknee Funster

We maintain that you don't need USB's in the MoHo, under sink beauties, every one has them at home but make sure you leave them at home (y)
    Oh, and Mrs Badknee says yes, size does matter.:whistle::LOL:

• Like Like x 2
  9. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

Absolutely agree with the last paragraph, we have swapped from coach built to panel van and have halved the amount of stuff we were carting about for no real reason.

Having just had 3 months touring without noticing a lack of stuff I'd say we've not missed the additional storage.

The PVC has taken us places we wouldn't have attempted in the coach built so we're happy with the change.

Each to their own though, our friends have a twin axle with an additional trailer and they're as happy as a pair of happy motorhomers. :)

• Like Like x 4
  10. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

You might as well ask why your house is where it is,why it's the size it is,why have got a silver car etc ?
    It's called Personal Choice and Preference (y)

• Like Like x 3
  11. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

I like my USB points I can plug phones and tablets in to charge up without a charger:ROFLMAO:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

There is only two of us and we have gone for a 6 berth with overhead bed. Reason - layout and how to organise the dogs safely. We have a manic Chocolate Lab who charges everywhere. This gives us the space for him and room to move around and lounge in. We also went for rear bunks as the bottom will be converted into the Kennel area for him and the more quite Black Lab.

13. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

when we first downsized to a PVC from coachbuilt we were over the moon. After some difficult holidays in Spain and Italy..being able to get up into a Tuscan hill village and as long as there was a space for a car we were in!. coming off the ferry from Italy to Croatia. parked up in Split right in port car park....It just removed all the stress.

• Like Like x 3
  14. maison

maison Funster

We wanted a fixed bed as my wife has some mobility problems and making up "pull-out slat and cushions " beds was becoming a chore. As she also takes a little time to "get moving" in the morning, and I like to go out with out dog, the ability to lay up breakfast the night before was a plus.

Therefore fixed bed, plus separate dinette, dictated the layout. Having a largish dog meant we also wanted room to move about. Hence 7.2 metres.

When we returned to motorhoming two years ago, after a period with caravans, we bought an older 5.95 metres van to ensure we still liked M/Hs. We used it for 18 months and decided what was and wasn't right about the layout etc.

Now very happy that we have got what suits us.

15. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Yes , absolutely right, its still fun , but getting up and down that ladder after a few :drink::wine: is quite risky for one of my vintage :Eeek::rofl:

• Like Like x 3
  16. busby

busby Funster

Or financial limitations,,BUSBY:):):)

• Like Like x 3
  17. Badknee

Badknee Funster

:LOL::LOL: It was a joke, USB's in our house are under sink beauties. Time saving gadgets that take time and space up, bread makers, ice cream makers, deep fat fryers, coffer makers, the list goes on and on. USB's, leave them at home. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I think size is merely a snobbery thing, mine is 11.25 metres long and almost 9 tons and it's all I can do to lower myself to even talk to small van folk.

A good morning is the most you will force out of me......... :imoutahere:

• Like Like x 9
  19. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Yes, and it makes up for having a small Richard doesn't it :whistle::LOL:

• Like Like x 5
  20. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Yes indeed; truth is I spent £185,000 on mine most of which I saved by avoiding the Pen15 extension operation. My lovely wife said she couldn't handle any more so MoHo it is then.

• Like Like x 4